Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just tried the GPS function for the first time today, wow it's good stuff! Works just as well as my Garmin 275t stand alone GPS unit! The Pre gives me TTS (Text To Speech) for real time street name turn by turn instructions. I used the Pre for an hour to drive back home, and it was spot on! Some people may not realize that only the better more expensive units have TTS (Text To Speech) function, and stand alone GPS units with TTS usually cost at least $200 for this ability!

I also tested to see if the Pre could take phone calls while using the GPS function, and sure enough, a call was able to be answered while the GPS function continued working in the background. When the call was over, the Pre went right back to where it continued off! Most cool!!

The Pre even has traffic alerts, although when I clicked on one of the traffic alerts, it turned out to be old news, because there wasn't any traffic jam down the highway. Oh well, not everything's perfect! My Garmin 275t stand alone GPS also has traffic alert too for a free lifetime subscription. Hopefully, the traffic alerts on the Pre will be more timely in the future.

I like the fact that you can tap on the screen, and it will tell you audibly what the next turn will be, which is the same function my Garmin has. The Pre even has a compass telling me which direction I'm heading, as well as an accurate ETA time for destination arrival, and a Plus/Minus button for magnifying/minimizing street views--so cool. Even my latest Garmin 275t doesn't have a built-in compass! Although the older Garmin 350/360 does have a compass, so I don't know why it got deleted off the newer models.

I also tested how fast the Pre will recalculate new routes, and boy it's fast! I intentionally drove off course many times just to see how fast the Pre would recalculate a new route, and the Pre gave new instructions within several seconds every single time! I was really impressed!

The Pre did get a little bit warm at bottom of device, but not hot. At the highest volume, I was able to hear the TTS (Text to Speech) female voice pretty well, but that's with the car radio/stereo turned off or way down, otherwise forget it!

Anyway, my Pre GPS function passed with flying colors the first time around!
    Last edited by Casey Cheung; 06/13/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  2.    #2  
    I just posted this message, and it already got several stars for rating?
    Casey
    Who needs the speaker? Just plug the Pre directly into the Aux port and listen to it through your car's speakers for maximum win.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Who needs the speaker? Just plug the Pre directly into the Aux port and listen to it through your car's speakers for maximum win.
    +1, with Pandora playing too!

Totally was not expecting traffic alerts too -- huge plus for me driving to Chicago all the time!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Today was my first full day with the Pre, and I was excited to use the GPS for the first time tonight with about 53% battery. Used the GPS for less than 10 minutes, and my battery dropped to 40%, with significant heat up as well. I finally had to turn it off before we even got to the restaurant. Also noticed that I dropped down to 1X at least once or twice during the brief time I was using turn-by-turn. All this in the middle of Chicago, so I'm not sure how the network plays into this.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Car charger is a MUST when using GPS!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Larson View Post
    Car charger is a MUST when using GPS!
    Yes, I had a car charger in usage while GPS was on.
    Casey
  8.    #8  

That's a great idea, didn't think of that.
    Casey
    the gps doesn't have all the feature as a TOMTOM, but it pretty damn gooooood
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    That's a great idea, didn't think of that.
    +1. Great idea!
    The GPS is definitely awesome.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    http://store.precentral.net/arkon-we.../3A78A3811.htm

Looked at that mount but be nice if a Touchstone could be incorporated into it. A flattened touchstone in the back?

As it is, the kb would be impossible to use (not too big a deal) and not sure if the usb door is blocked (a big deal).

Someone else i read somewhere said they use a can upside down in a cupholder and placed their touchstone on it. Not exactly what i was wanting.
    Will you explain that for me - the Aux port? Thanks!
    Does the Pre have to be mounted on the windshield for GPS to work well? How many Satellites does it pick up? Does it also use the towers? Does it work navigating through the woods e.g. the Pine Barrens of NJ or Yellowstone NP so one does not get lost?
    Quote Originally Posted by PghPatti View Post
    Will you explain that for me - the Aux port? Thanks!
    most aftermarket radios and some OEM radios have an aux port for other devices. Mine does as well, but i decided to get the T505 from motorlola cause i can easily jump into my wifes car and do the same thing (send music or talk to someone over the radio).
    I wish I could say the same, but we tried it twice yesterday and when my wife used hers it took her out of the way and made her do a weird around the block to get from one main road to another when there is a exit road made for that reason. It did get her there but when I used mine it took me the long way and tried to take me into a gated community! I wasn't told about the gate so I knew there must be a way around so I closed navigation and used google maps to go around and found out the house I was going to was just off the road thay goes by my house! All I needed to do was go straight and turn left!

So I might say it works well but not great. Not getting rid of the Tom Tom 920 just yet.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Yes, I had a car charger in usage while GPS was on.
    dude, I've been seeing the same problem. The GPS uses so much power that the battery actually drains even though i've got the "charger" plugged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedvision View Post
    Does the Pre have to be mounted on the windshield for GPS to work well? How many Satellites does it pick up? Does it also use the towers? Does it work navigating through the woods e.g. the Pine Barrens of NJ or Yellowstone NP so one does not get lost?
    The Pre doesn't have to be mounted in direct line of sight to work. I've used it by putting it on my seat. It should work where ever you get a cell signal. It based on cell towers first instead of directly using GPS satellites. If can get a cell signal in the boonies, it might work.
  19.    #19  
    As others may have expressed too, I'm not getting rid of my stand-alone Garmin 275t GPS because I have the special dashboard holder to make it stand in place. But with the Pre, I had to hold the phone with my right hand while driving with left hand. This is dangerous! Not dangerous that I might get into a car crash, but dangerous because a police might think I'm driving while talking on a cell phone, which is a ticket-able offense! Is there any Pre car holder available at this time anywhere? I called TreoCentral the other day, and the rep said they hardly have any acccessories for the Pre at this time.
    Casey
    As others may have expressed too, I'm not getting rid of my stand-alone Garmin 275t GPS because I have the special dashboard holder to make it stand in place. But with the Pre, I had to hold the phone with my right hand while driving with left hand. This is dangerous! Not dangerous that I might get into a car crash, but dangerous because a police might think I'm driving while talking on a cell phone, which is a ticket-able offense! Is there any Pre car holder available at this time anywhere? I called TreoCentral the other day, and the rep said they hardly have any acccessories in at this time.
    Does your state allow windshield mounts? If not, you may want to use a air vent mount or use a universal dashboard mount with a windshield mount like this

Pda Auto Mount: Windshield Mount, Dashboard Mount, Car Mount for PDA: ExtremePDA
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast