Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    3.5 headphone to RCA - makes sense now thanks.
    I dunno if anyone else has experinced this but i was not too impress by the pre gps.. i used an htc touch for a bit the gps on there was much better although the maps dont need to be downloaded as you use it on the pre. its all builtin. the htc touch used internet to download ithe maps as you went... anyway i had garmin software on my htc so i guess it doesnt count..

this is where my problem lies.

i have only used the gps once for short distance just to test it. but within the first 3 blocks when i tried changing lanes into the far left lane for a left turn the pre assumed i had made the turn. then thought i made a wrong turn like a turn recalculated rout and that sucked... then it did something similar again while changing lanes this was not too bad becaue i was still moving... i dunno maybe bad luck on my end ill give it another shot...

i live in salt lake city utah and its on a grid system so gps is not needed but nice to have just incase.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    3.5 headphone to RCA - makes sense now thanks.
    This is what I think we are also talking about. Some if not most of the new car stereo's have this now as an aux input.
    Just getting used to my Pre, and I've been tinkering with Sprint Navigation and the Google Maps feature. I've only seen the Sprint Nav app act like a real GPS unit, but I would prefer to use that as it's more tightly integrated to the device.

What are you guys using for GPS? Am I missing a speech function on Google Maps?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by thechairman View Post
    Just getting used to my Pre, and I've been tinkering with Sprint Navigation and the Google Maps feature. I've only seen the Sprint Nav app act like a real GPS unit, but I would prefer to use that as it's more tightly integrated to the device.

What are you guys using for GPS? Am I missing a speech function on Google Maps?

Thanks!
    I think just the Sprint Nav has the Speech .

Google maps is good for locating info but if your using anything to drive to direction I would stick with Sprint Nav for that.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I have used Telenav for several years on my Teo (paid for it before the Pre) and have found it to be very good. Not perfect, but no GPS system is perfect. Now with the Pre it has more features and a bigger screen. I'm very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby_s View Post
    Some if not most of the new car stereo's have this now as an aux input.
    That is exactly what I have been using, 3.5 to 3.5. Works fantastic for the music player, navigation, and phone calls. At first I thought the navigation volume was too low, (I was testing it last Saturday) but then I plugged it in and put the volume up and it worked great. I don't do enough trips to places I don't know to need a standalone gps, but it is good to have this as a backup now. I have noticed the calculation times are quite fast like others have mentioned.

Also, the Aux port is great for phone calls. I've never been a fan of bluetooth headsets for some reason, and now I don't even need a car kit because the phone mic still works while the other person is being heard on the stereo. And like other users have posted, with the phone a good 3 feet away they hear me clearly. Every day I love this phone just a little more.
    I just used the Sprint Navigation to get my family to a reunion meeting in Daytona & it worked wonderfully. However, I don't seem to be able to pull addresses from my contacts. That's a major flaw that needs addressing. Also, it doesn't work in landscape mode which is a tad disappointing. Still, this is my first GPS solution & so far its been a good one!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of SPrint...been using GPS on my Curve for over a year now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Pre only loses charge when it is with an accessory that is not giving full Amps.
    I had this issue with a third party charger, but with the Sprint charger, it does not lose charge.
    Happily, I can confirm this!!! I used a Sprint (expensive) charger last night.

My sprint phone is no Garmin stand alone GPS (not nearly as feature rich of course) but it did a nice job getting me to NorwalK, CT from NYC last night and back again. I am also happy to report that for once, my pre didn't drop signal or lose reception like it has been doing. I do wish I could talk on the phone and have Nav continue but sadly it stops navigating while on the phone.

Compared to the Garmin the Pre lacks considerably but to a new GPS user most of the features on the Garmin wouldn't be missed on the Pre. So all in all, assuming one stays in the Sprint coverage area, I have to say that Sprint Nav is a winner!!!

Now if I could just get calls on my Pre!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    When I first moved to LA, my family and I developed a hankering for Fatburgers. We used our Garmin to locate a few within our general area, and started driving. BOTH locations that tried were actually residences. Our Fatburger cravings went unsatisfied that day, I'll tell you.

The moral of this story is that all GPS navigation software has flaws in their databases. And, you'll find that these flaws are actually shared amongst GPS devices, because they all use mapping data from one of two companies, Telenav and NAVTEQ. What differentiates one GPS device from another is available features and performance, not the accuracy of the maps or POIs.

I like Sprint Navigation because it pulls the data live, meaning it's always up-to-date. That's a double-edged sword, of course, because it requires cell coverage, which is where a standalone device is preferable. For long trips or trips outside of the city, we use our Garmin (with its two-year-old database). But everywhere else, Sprint Navi has done well, and I simply LOVE the implementation on the Pre.
    Bingo! Right on!!!
    I'm having very mixed results with GPS on my Pre. On clear days, I get an almost instant fix. But I've had two cloudy days where it never did lock on.

On those days, Sprint Navigation chugs a while, then says "Current Location Not Found". In Google maps, I get a position within the town I'm in, with a huge error circle that suggests no GPS at all, just tower triangulation.

But then I'll have a series of days where I get a nice tight fix within seconds and navigation works great. Bottom line though is that I can't depend on it, so I'll be bringing my Nuvi on trips.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    When every new device comes out we ask the question: "Does it do GPS as a STANDALONE"? I haven't read anything about that here, or maybe I missed it.

If you take the Pre, UNactivated, will it do GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    When every new device comes out we ask the question: "Does it do GPS as a STANDALONE"? I haven't read anything about that here, or maybe I missed it.

I would think not.

It uses Data to load the maps. Even with the Onboard GPS antenna it still loads off the Net.
    I like that navigation and in some ways prefer it to Garmin. One problem though is the maps are surprisingly not up to date. One advantage of phone based navigation should be that no maps are loaded locally and are pulled live from the net. Well Sprint's maps aren't too current as a lot of new places around for more than a year are not listed in the search and places that have been closed over 2 years are still listed.

Not sure if that is Sprint not updating maps or if the mapmaker is not that up to date with their latest maps.

Try searching for a place that is fairly new, about 1-2 years old.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    Check out this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm having very mixed results with GPS on my Pre. On clear days, I get an almost instant fix. But I've had two cloudy days where it never did lock on.

On those days, Sprint Navigation chugs a while, then says "Current Location Not Found". In Google maps, I get a position within the town I'm in, with a huge error circle that suggests no GPS at all, just tower triangulation.

But then I'll have a series of days where I get a nice tight fix within seconds and navigation works great. Bottom line though is that I can't depend on it, so I'll be bringing my Nuvi on trips.
    That's the problem I've been having. I was driving, trying to get directions to a store and it wouldn't give me directions.
    I also couldn't get a fix outside my house.
  18.    #58  
    By the way, I noticed that when using my GPS, the screen was at a very bright level (too bright for driving at night), even though I changed the screen setting to its dimmest level for default setting. Anyone else noticed this?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    That's the problem I've been having. I was driving, trying to get directions to a store and it wouldn't give me directions.
    I also couldn't get a fix outside my house.
    And my experience, too. See my post over in the webOS apps and software section. I'd post a link to it here but I've made three posts (this will be my fourth) and I need ten to post links.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post

I've had it say that and destination not found, even though I was driving in front of my destination.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast