Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Does your state allow windshield mounts? If not, you may want to use a air vent mount or use a universal dashboard mount with a windshield mount like this

Pda Auto Mount: Windshield Mount, Dashboard Mount, Car Mount for PDA: ExtremePDA

Hello. No, California does not allow a GPS to be mounted onto the windshield. I would probably need to get a holder, similar to the link you gave. Thanks! Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I just posted this message, and it already got several stars for rating?
    Casey, that is because you totally rock. TOTALLY.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Who needs the speaker? Just plug the Pre directly into the Aux port and listen to it through your car's speakers for maximum win.
    Sure, if you have an Aux port.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Hello. No, California does not allow a GPS to be mounted onto the windshield. I would probably need to get a holder, similar to the link you gave. Thanks! Casey
    Actually, that's no longer true. You can use a windshield mount in California as long as it doesn't obstruct your view. I found this out at a local Sheriff's event when I noticed that the Sheriff's personal vehicle had a Garmin mounted on the windshield. When I told him he was breaking the law, he (kind of sheepishly) told me that the law had recently been amended.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    I wish I could say the same, but we tried it twice yesterday and when my wife used hers it took her out of the way and made her do a weird around the block to get from one main road to another when there is a exit road made for that reason. It did get her there but when I used mine it took me the long way and tried to take me into a gated community! I wasn't told about the gate so I knew there must be a way around so I closed navigation and used google maps to go around and found out the house I was going to was just off the road thay goes by my house! All I needed to do was go straight and turn left!

So I might say it works well but not great. Not getting rid of the Tom Tom 920 just yet.
    When I first moved to LA, my family and I developed a hankering for Fatburgers. We used our Garmin to locate a few within our general area, and started driving. BOTH locations that tried were actually residences. Our Fatburger cravings went unsatisfied that day, I'll tell you.

The moral of this story is that all GPS navigation software has flaws in their databases. And, you'll find that these flaws are actually shared amongst GPS devices, because they all use mapping data from one of two companies, Telenav and NAVTEQ. What differentiates one GPS device from another is available features and performance, not the accuracy of the maps or POIs.

I like Sprint Navigation because it pulls the data live, meaning it's always up-to-date. That's a double-edged sword, of course, because it requires cell coverage, which is where a standalone device is preferable. For long trips or trips outside of the city, we use our Garmin (with its two-year-old database). But everywhere else, Sprint Navi has done well, and I simply LOVE the implementation on the Pre.
    I love the GPS function and agree it rocks but I don't need the GPS in NYC. I know my way around. When I leave NYC I NEED GPS and I have found that when I leave NYC my cell reception sucks big time with Sprint ...on a Pre phone that already has poor reception this is a killer. So for me, this MAJOR issue negates the GPS usage. Add to this that gps actually drains the battery when charging in the car and your awesome pre has even less battery life than it barely had already!!!

I love the pre BUT poor battery life and poor cell reception KILL many of its wonderful features. It's kinda like dropping filet mignon in the dirt for me personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    I love the GPS function and agree it rocks but I don't need the GPS in NYC. I know my way around. When I leave NYC I NEED GPS and I have found that when I leave NYC my cell reception sucks big time with Sprint ...on a Pre phone that already has poor reception this is a killer. So for me, this MAJOR issue negates the GPS usage. Add to this that gps actually drains the battery when charging in the car and your awesome pre has even less battery life than it barely had already!!!

I love the pre BUT poor battery life and poor cell reception KILL many of its wonderful features. It's kinda like dropping filet mignon in the dirt for me personally.
    I had to hook my pre to AC port in the back of my truck. Running Pandora and GPS I was losing more battery than it could charge. I have never seen that before on a phone. Even my laptop charges in my car no probs.
    I bought this windshield mount from ebay. When the keyboard is extended the phone fits securely in it and the USB charge port is accessible. It's cheap but it works great!

The GPS on the Pre is the best GPS I've ever seen on any phone or PDA. It's lightning fast and accurate. Sprint's Navigation app is the perfect compliment to it. It's easier to use than my standalone and it's great that Sprint gives it to us free!
    lol, I used the GPS navigation Thursday for a work lunch, and I ended up getting people more lost!

Not Palms or Sprint's fault though, google's tag for a pizza place was way off

I love how google maps tracks you as you move along too, very sweet.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Casey, that is because you totally rock. TOTALLY.
    Hi Tony, nice to hear from you! Geez, I think we go all the way back to the Treo 650! I recall we were playing around with burning programs for movies. Based on a tip from another user, I bought 123 Copy DVD 2009 for $30 online, and this works great for burning movies onto the Pre! Very easy to use program. The Pre plays back movies like you're watching Hi-Def television! -Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I have always been a fan of Sprint Nav since my Instinct the PRE is just as good.

I do also like having google maps right there as it seems to do search for a certain place a bit faster. I was using Nav tonight pulled into a gas station lady came up asking if I knew of a seafood place I closed the nav card flipped on Google maps and showed her right where it was.

This Phone is great so far and just getting better for my Needs.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Just wondering, what program does the Pre use for GPS, is it Telenav?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Hmm...I think that my Pro with the new version of Garmin Mobile XT is much better. So far, Telenav on the Pre has not impressed me, but my time with it is limited. To each their own, I guess.
    today i used google maps to walk from a movie theater to an Italian restaurant.

worked great.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    Who needs the speaker? Just plug the Pre directly into the Aux port and listen to it through your car's speakers for maximum win.
    What cable do you use to do this? I didn't know such a connection existed on the Pre !! Bonus!
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    What cable do you use to do this? I didn't know such a connection existed on the Pre !! Bonus!

not owning a car or anything, i dont know what an aux connector looks like, but all you need is a cable that can blup into both your pre and the aux.

3.5 to rca?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    http://store.precentral.net/arkon-we.../3A78A3811.htm

Looked at that mount but be nice if a Touchstone could be incorporated into it. A flattened touchstone in the back?

As it is, the kb would be impossible to use (not too big a deal) and not sure if the usb door is blocked (a big deal).

Someone else i read somewhere said they use a can upside down in a cupholder and placed their touchstone on it. Not exactly what i was wanting.
    I had one of those for my iPhone. Sucked.

The adhesive that holds the bag on the dash is garbage.

If you put any force on the device or the holder, it comes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    not owning a car or anything, i dont know what an aux connector looks like, but all you need is a cable that can blup into both your pre and the aux.

3.5 to rca?
    Or you can use an old tape adapter.

Headphone jack to cassette. Thats what I use.
    Pre only loses charge when it is with an accessory that is not giving full Amps.
    I had this issue with a third party charger, but with the Sprint charger, it does not lose charge.

I love the fact that I had Pandora running, I had GPS running and I got a call.

Weh I had the call, all was silent except the call, when the call was finished, Pandora began to play again. When there was a turn or a navigation voice, pandora silenced while nav was talking, and resumed automatically when voice was done talking.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    That law has been changed, and California now allows windshield mounts.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast