View Poll Results: Does your Pre maintain EVDO or drop to 1X constantly?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it drops down to 1X even when signal is good.

39 50.65%
  • No, it maintains EVDO without a problem.

38 49.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you know you're in an area of good Sprint EVDO coverage does your Pre use it or continually drop to 1x when using data?
    Last edited by sake; 06/13/2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Pretty solid EDVO but I get the fluctuations from 1 to full bars most people are seeing. No dropped calls yet I think the signal algorythm needs some tweaking.
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I have the 1x issue regularly.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Same issue here...
    Usually don't even get in the 1x or Ev on the phone. The first 2 days I owned it I just thought it didn't show it. I'm well in the green for good coverage. Going outside makes it better, but still switching and data is near unusable.
  6. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Pretty solid EDVO but I get the fluctuations from 1 to full bars most people are seeing. No dropped calls yet I think the signal algorythm needs some tweaking.
    ^As mentioned above... my EV-DO stays solid most of the time, if my signal strength reaches one bar then it isn't unusual to see some switching over to 1x (as others have mentioned). However, I'm sure this is going to change greatly depending on Sprint's coverage in your particular area.

One point I do like is that the phone will actually list it's latest PRL so you can go and check if you have the latest one.

L8R
    Never been off less than evdo
    Have it occasionally on Sprint network but not too often. It happened 99 percent of the time while roaming in Mexico. While other phones held EV signal in Mexico this one defaulted to 1X even though I knew for a fact I was within EV coverage. In fact the whole Mexico data roaming experience on this phone was pretty awful as the phone would refuse to connect often even on 1X. Did not experience this on previous phones while data roaming in Mexico. I'll give it a pass on this one since I don't go to Mexico often enough for this to be a nuisance.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    1x is annoying but it's roaming that really irritates me. The other day I was constantly jumping between 1x and R and could hardly do anything. Thankfully I had my Verizon Treo with me and so still had a data connection I could use. This is my first Sprint phone so I've no idea what's typical. I'm thinking it's the price I have to pay for the Palm newness
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    While I have observed signal strength jumping around from 1 to 5 bars, I've never dropped a call. I have never seen it lose my evdo either and during the day I am constantly checking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by musk View Post
    1x is annoying but it's roaming that really irritates me. The other day I was constantly jumping between 1x and R and could hardly do anything. Thankfully I had my Verizon Treo with me and so still had a data connection I could use. This is my first Sprint phone so I've no idea what's typical. I'm thinking it's the price I have to pay for the Palm newness
    Apparently with the Everything plan, roaming is covered and you can data roam. You can do this as long as roaming isn't the bulk of the air time on the phone.
    Only drops to 1x if signal sucks, mainly inside hospitals.
    My coverage is great, the EVDO just stops working randomly, despite the signal strength being great.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    My coverage is great, the EVDO just stops working randomly, despite the signal strength being great.
    Then why did you just vote: No, it maintains EVDO without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Then why did you just vote: No, it maintains EVDO without a problem.

Because the "EV" icon does not switch to "1x", it just stops working... the EV icon remains.
  16.    #16  
    Because the "EV" icon does not switch to "1x", it just stops working... the EV icon remains.
    If EVDO "stops working" then it's not "maintaining EVDO without a problem" regardless of what icon it shows.

The question posed in the poll is: Does your Pre maintain EVDO or drop to 1X constantly?

oh well......
    Neither option is good for me, so, to be truthful to Sprint's service, the EV is still there, meaning their SERVICE is good, it's the phone itself that is at fault for not being able to actually use the good service and signal.
  18.    #18  
    Neither option is good for me, so, to be truthful to Sprint's service, the EV is still there, meaning their SERVICE is good, it's the phone itself that is at fault for not being able to actually use the good service and signal.

If neither option works for you then don't vote.

This has nothing to do with being fair to Sprint or the phone. It's a simple question. Either EVDO is working and maintaining on your phone or it's not.

There is nothing in this poll or thread to suggest it's a Sprint problem. I think it's a phone problem too which is why I didn't ask, "Does your Pre get the same signal quality as your previous Sprint phone." That has already been ruled-out in other threads.

If you folks want to read more into a poll question than is even there then please don't skew the votes. The KISS rule applies here. Keep it simple, stupid.
    Not exactly my fault if your poll options are ****e.
  20.    #20  
    Not exactly my fault if your poll options are ****e.
    Not exactly my fault that you wanted to make a vote based on a question that wasn't even asked and not exactly my fault that your comprehension of basic english sentences involves adding in your own imaginary elements. I guess I should have made a third option for folks that just can't pass a poll up. 3. Neither apply in my situation.

Sorry, I'll try and stupid-proof the next one.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast