View Poll Results: Does your Pre maintain EVDO or drop to 1X constantly?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it drops down to 1X even when signal is good.

39 50.65%
  • No, it maintains EVDO without a problem.

38 49.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My phone does not keep a constant Ev signal even in low coverage areas. I'm pretty sure there is a problem with some Pres. I've compared my phone's coverage with other Sprint customers right next to me and while my Pre was on 1x consistently or switching between Ev and 1x, their phone was solid Ev.

I took my phone into a Sprint store and it failed a CDMA diagnostic about low signal handling which may be the source of this problem. I suspect those of you with similar experiences have a problem with your phone as well. Unfortunately, since this is a launch day Pre, it's out of warranty.
    For those having the problem of dropping to 1x, I would recommend giving EVDO Hybrid Rev 0 a try. Open the phone app and dial ##3836#, switch from Hybrid Rev A to Hybrid Rev 0. There is about a 9% loss in speed, but the consistancy makes up for it IMHO.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    For those having the problem of dropping to 1x, I would recommend giving EVDO Hybrid Rev 0 a try. Open the phone app and dial ##3836#, switch from Hybrid Rev A to Hybrid Rev 0. There is about a 9% loss in speed, but the consistancy makes up for it IMHO.
    I will give this a try and see how it works around town tomor.
    I have had this issue for months now and am getting quite sick of it. A few other Pre owners in my city I know have the same issue as well. I don't like paying for 3G coverage when I cant use it. Pandora for example is completely useless and I have had a solid signal up until a few months ago.
    I even talked with Sprints tech dept and their solution was to turn off the phone and pull the battery. They have never heard of this issue before so this just seems like an issue I'm stuck with.
    I hope the above option works.. .
    Everybody wants some!..
    Let me know how it works for you.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Here is a reference from Post #35, which is mine previously in this thread. "I performed a little experiment to see what happens. As we know, ##evdo# lets us switch evdo settings. I switched mine to EVDO only. Yes I know we can't receive calls or texts but can make outgoing calls on this setting. What I noticed in this setting was I was able to maintain EVDO in my house and driving down the street when I forced it. I didn't have any interruption in streaming music. When I looked on the Sprint coverage map, I'm on the border of EV / 1x where I live, which explains why my signal switches to 1x until I get off of my street in Hybrid mode. My question is if that's the case, then why when I force to EV am I able to get an EV signal in an area where it's always 1x in Hybrid mode? Why wouldn't it stay in EV if you can in fact have an EV signal in that area? I hate these little quarks."

It doesn't seem like there are any concrete answers. What I have to go through every time I drive down my street is just ridiculous. How in the world is it possible to have EV (only when I force it to EV) instead of always switching to 1x in Hybrid mode? I am really telling the truth when I say that when I put my Pre in EVDO only mode, I am able to have EV in an area that always switches to 1x!! I know that calling Sprint for an answer will be a complete waste if time. Oh yeah, and the reason this is even a problem is because as you know, we can't receive calls or texts when in EVDO only mode. Soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I'm on Sprint and even with full signal bars, I still get 1x. I'm using hybrid O and now it seems just as bad as hybrid A. I think the problem is with Sprint and not the phones. @voltageROCK, I also change mine to evdo only when I wanna come on the forum.
    Last edited by RUSH; 09/30/2010 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I'm on Sprint and even with full signal bars, I still get 1x. I'm using hybrid O and now it seems just as bad as hybrid A. I think the problem is with Sprint and not the phones. @voltageROCK, I also change mine to evdo only when I wanna come on the forum.
    So your saying that you get EV no problem in those 1x locations when you switch to EVDO only? Did you also notice if it is actually EV speed? One thing I haven't done which I will do the next chance I get is to actually just pull over on my street and run a speedtest. Maybe it's just saying EV up there on the phone display and 1x speed is actually what it is.

Did you also look on the Sprint coverage map? I believe I found it on the Sprint website. I would be curious to know what it says there.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Mine does this pretty regularly while at home. The signal is generally 2 bars there. No phone call problems, but Sprint calls it a "finge" area for 3G. I have never seen this behavior when I'm in Reno, so I assume it has to do with relatively weak signal coverage.

This did happen with my Treo 755, but not as often. Well, maybe not as often, since the Treo wasn't online all the time. It would time out the connection after an hour or so, and when I needed data it would "dial up" again.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Let me know how it works for you.
    Not working for me today on the new setting. This is so frustrating!
    It all started when my town went 4G but I know the towers are not the same. Some people I know have the Evo and Epic and they stay on 3G because its plenty fast and does not hog battery life so drastically. Could the 3G towers just be getting more and more bogged down from all the usage of newer devices maybe?
    Everybody wants some!..
    (IMO) Since these 4G towers have been up... Evdo/3G has been behaving abnormal ~ jumping from Evdo to 1X constantly, even with a full evdo/3g connection.
    I was looking at my phone with the cover off as I was thinking of "Plusing" my Pre as an attempt to fix this problem. I noticed after taking off the back cover that what I believe is the antenna (gold looking paint along the bottom, top, around the speakers and along the left side of the battery), that it's in really bad shape. It's like it's been scratched completely off in places and rubbed in others way in others. When I looked at pictures and videos of the Pre with the back cover off, the gold paint always seems to look perfect.

I can only imagine if the antenna is messed up, that this may contribute to signal issues. Is anybody seeing this problem with what seems to be an antenna in good shape?
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    So your saying that you get EV no problem in those 1x locations when you switch to EVDO only? Did you also notice if it is actually EV speed? One thing I haven't done which I will do the next chance I get is to actually just pull over on my street and run a speedtest. Maybe it's just saying EV up there on the phone display and 1x speed is actually what it is.

Did you also look on the Sprint coverage map? I believe I found it on the Sprint website. I would be curious to know what it says there.
    I ran a speedtest and it was traditional EV speed! I couldn't believe it. It's so confusing how this EV/1x thing truly works. Also, I did look at the coverage map and I live in an area that is shaded gray which means Roaming. Remember, the problem with forcing to EV prevents you from receiving calls or texts.
    It really only happens like 1/50 of the time. Literally. It happens but I think that that's more Sprint than my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Never had this issue myself; Sprint covers this are pretty decently.

If I go into the rural areas, or into a dense building, it will drop to 1x, but generally anywhere I am it's EVDO
    I now know definitively that my problem was a hardware issue. I finally was able to get Sprint to provide me with a replacement unit and have a perfect 3G signal almost all the time. I actually went through several replacements for other problems and they all had perfect 3G signal.

Although it may be a coincidence, the antenna on each of the replacement units was in perfect shape which is significantly different from my original device. I doubt the antenna "paint" wore down over time so it was probably like that from the time I received my phone a few days after launch day.

If you are having 3G problems with your phone and other Sprint phones work fine nearby, I would strongly suggest removing the back cover and looking at the condition of the gold-looking "paint" running around the edge of the device and then getting it replaced if the paint does not look in perfect shape.
    Open phone app, swipe menu down from upper left corner, go to prefferences, update network settings, then update PRL.
    Thanks for the suggestions but since I replaced my phone, that has the same PRL and network settings as my original phone, I no longer have 3G signal and coverage problems.

The problems that I had were undoubtedly signal issues related to the hardware. I even had the original phone tested at a Sprint store and it failed a radio sensitivity test. I updated the PRL and network settings many times on my previous phone without any improvement. I tried the EVDO Rev 0 trick as well with no improvements. I even doctor'ed my phone.

The reason I'm posting this is to let people know that if they are experiencing poor 3G signal in areas that have strong 3G coverage, they can probably resolve the issue by getting their phone replaced. You can get a refurbished phone from a Sprint corporate store for $35.
    Wow I can't believe in all my searching I haven't found this thread before...this problem has frustrated me since my original pre (on replacement #5 now). In fact twice I got a replacement for this exact issue. I had been using the roam only patch with great success on all my pre's so far and always would get EVDO while roaming,but roughly a month ago it just stopped and only gives me 1x if I force the roam. When it roams on it's own it will still go to EVDO though.

So has anyone figured out yet if this is a Sprint issue or a Pre issue? I set my Pre next to a coworkers EVO and his never lost EVDO signal where mine was constantly switching then just settled on 1x. I have pretty much made up my mind to switch to Verizon since my Pre is more or less useless without a decent data signal, but if there is even a shred of hope I would rather stay on Sprint.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123