Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Other than no notification light and barebones necessary apps, my biggest beef with the pre is the length of time it takes the basic apps to open. Even opening just my calculator, clock, calendar, etc take so much longer to open than on my blackberry or any other phone i've owned. Is this inherent with the Web o/s, or is this something that can be changed with an update?

Yes, it's just a couple of seconds longer, but that's a lot when you are trying to open the darn thing. I have no idea what programming vs processors, etc can do, So i'm just wondering if this is something that might change in a few months.
    Yes, optimizations come with time.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Will it be possible hop on my pre and drive it to work... after an update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    Yes, I heard it has the best mpg of all the phones out there today too.
    I don't find myself annoyed by app load time, with ONE exception: you take a photo with the camera app, and when you want to review the photo you just took, it spawns the photo app, so when I time it, it takes literally 7 seconds to look at the photo I just took. lame. they need to built photo review into the camera app as well rather than spawn a second app.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    oh gimme a break, is it a problem that i've asked the question? or are you saying even the idea is impossible. Like i said, i don't know what is possible with software updates, and the lag time is a reality. i know not everyone cares about the time to open an app, different things matter to different people. But my last few phones opened a calculator and other basic stuff instantly. So my question is just is this something that can be changed with a software update. Compared to any phone i've had they're slower. it's not a put down of the Pre, so calm down.
    think the one problem with webOS is there is no animation of sorts while a program is opening. You just look at a static screen. If they had some sort of animation you just might think the lag is the same as other phones. It just feels longer because the phone doesn't do anything.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Didn't the Vista 'update' make Windows way faster?

Seriously though, this is something that should be possible. Not sure if we will see anything like this soon but who knows. Right now, it's pretty tolerable being on par with most other mobile devices I've used.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    think the one problem with webOS is there is no animation of sorts while a program is opening. You just look at a static screen. If they had some sort of animation you just might think the lag is the same as other phones. It just feels longer because the phone doesn't do anything.
    At first I thought that might be the case, and because i no longer have my curve i wasn't sure, so my friend used her curve and I my pre and the same time, and it was night and day. try it with a friend of yours. open the calculator or email at the same time. Course i don't expect anything to be the same as BB, as they've been updating their device for a long time, but it just confirmed that it wasn't my imagination about the time to open apps on the pre.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
    Didn't the Vista 'update' make Windows way faster?

Seriously though, this is something that should be possible. Not sure if we will see anything like this soon but who knows. Right now, it's pretty tolerable being on par with most other mobile devices I've used.
    Thanks. (oh, no idea about vista).
    You can expect significant improvement as many of the apps are pretty clunky running right now. That will change as code gets optimized and things get cleaned up. So apps like the browser, email and pictures should run smoother and and better frame rates when scrolling etc.
    If you compare the Pre to the iPhone, which I think is a much more relevant comparison, apps open about as quickly (or slowly, however you want to look at it). The apps are simply much more graphically rich than on a BB, Windows Mobile, Symbian, etc. But, yes, in general, I think it's safe to say that both the Pre and the iPhone are slower in launching apps than the others.

But, the beauty with the Pre is that those apps remain open and functional (compared to the iPhone) and very easily accessible (compared to any other smartphone). I submit that once the cards are open, moving from one application to another is much quicker and certainly much easier. If you measured actual use of a number of devices, I think you'd find that the amount of time needed to get things done over, say, a 24 hour period would be much less with the Pre than with the others.

To me, it's like comparing a modern OS such as Windows 7 and OS X to DOS. Sure, a DOS machine opened individual applications more quickly than modern OS's open modern applications. But, the latter are far more attractive and robust, and of course the extra time spent in opening applications is quickly made up by the ability to keep them open and running.

Then, compare the Pre to an iPhone, which not only takes a few seconds to open a task but can't run them in the background, and the savings are even more obvious. Granted, I doubt that the delta is so great with current BBs, which seem to be optimized for speed. But I can say that I've gotten far more done with my Pre in the same amount of time than I ever got done with my Windows Mobile devices (which also can take some time to open apps).

It would be very interesting to benchmark some apps that run on each platform. The Evernote client is one that comes to mind that runs on the Pre, the iPhone, BB, and Windows Mobile. But the benchmark would be more than just how quickly the application opens on each platform, but rather would need to measure how accessible the application is once open and how quickly one can get real work done. Given that with the Pre version, multiple Evernote notes can be opened in their own cards, I wager that one could get more work done far more quickly on the Pre than any of the others.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    I don't find myself annoyed by app load time, with ONE exception: you take a photo with the camera app, and when you want to review the photo you just took, it spawns the photo app, so when I time it, it takes literally 7 seconds to look at the photo I just took. lame. they need to built photo review into the camera app as well rather than spawn a second app.
    I totally agree... really hurts the experience.
    I'm not so worried on app delay (it's actually not too bad -but would you PLEASE fix the Calendar app?), but what I'd really like to see is their memory management get seriously tightened and stop the close card error msg.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If you compare the Pre to the iPhone, which I think is a much more relevant comparison, apps open about as quickly (or slowly, however you want to look at it). The apps are simply much more graphically rich than on a BB, Windows Mobile, Symbian, etc. But, yes, in general, I think it's safe to say that both the Pre and the iPhone are slower in launching apps than the others.

But, the beauty with the Pre is that those apps remain open and functional (compared to the iPhone) and very easily accessible (compared to any other smartphone). I submit that once the cards are open, moving from one application to another is much quicker and certainly much easier. If you measured actual use of a number of devices, I think you'd find that the amount of time needed to get things done over, say, a 24 hour period would be much less with the Pre than with the others.

To me, it's like comparing a modern OS such as Windows 7 and OS X to DOS. Sure, a DOS machine opened individual applications more quickly than modern OS's open modern applications. But, the latter are far more attractive and robust, and of course the extra time spent in opening applications is quickly made up by the ability to keep them open and running.

Then, compare the Pre to an iPhone, which not only takes a few seconds to open a task but can't run them in the background, and the savings are even more obvious. Granted, I doubt that the delta is so great with current BBs, which seem to be optimized for speed. But I can say that I've gotten far more done with my Pre in the same amount of time than I ever got done with my Windows Mobile devices (which also can take some time to open apps).

It would be very interesting to benchmark some apps that run on each platform. The Evernote client is one that comes to mind that runs on the Pre, the iPhone, BB, and Windows Mobile. But the benchmark would be more than just how quickly the application opens on each platform, but rather would need to measure how accessible the application is once open and how quickly one can get real work done. Given that with the Pre version, multiple Evernote notes can be opened in their own cards, I wager that one could get more work done far more quickly on the Pre than any of the others.
    I only tested 3 apps on an iPhone vs. my pre, the calculator, the calendar and the email, and both opened faster on the iphone. (oh, and the camera, and the Pre is much much faster for that).

I see what you're saying re: windows/dos. decisions decisions.
    This phone can only get better guys and if not, lets just flash android in that sucker
    My apps load within 5 seconds. I just launched the camera app and it did it in 2. Then photos from there was another 3. My iPod touch takes longer to load apps then the Pre or about the same after a full reboot.

What kind of times are bothering you guys?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    I was just about to post a thread concerning this. I have a Tungsten that I use mainly to chart stats during soccer matches and apps open considerably faster on it. I remember comparing it to my Mogul and it seemed like an eternity on my Mogul for an app to open. I was thinking the Pre would open apps as quickly as the tungsten. Instead it seems to be on par with the Mogul. I'm disappointed but it is not a deal breaker for me.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    My apps load within 5 seconds. I just launched the camera app and it did it in 2. Then photos from there was another 3. My iPod touch takes longer to load apps then the Pre or about the same after a full reboot.

What kind of times are bothering you guys?
    As i mentioned, the camera app is the only one that is better than most camera phones, esp. when it comes to taking photos one after another. I love the camera on this thing. But something as basic as a calculator, etc, are seconds longer than any other phones i've used. 3 and 4 seconds is a lot to open a calculator or clock is a bit long. My phone app opens just about instantly, so that is perfect. thank goodness. but the rest have significant lag time.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    oh gimme a break, is it a problem that i've asked the question? or are you saying even the idea is impossible. Like i said, i don't know what is possible with software updates, and the lag time is a reality. i know not everyone cares about the time to open an app, different things matter to different people. But my last few phones opened a calculator and other basic stuff instantly. So my question is just is this something that can be changed with a software update. Compared to any phone i've had they're slower. it's not a put down of the Pre, so calm down.
    Just making joke. No offense meant.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast