Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you'd think with all that multitaskin' that the Pre wouldn't have so much LAG. but just opening and closing ONE app gives you a big LAG. so much for the power of multitaskin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you'd think with all that multitaskin' that the Pre wouldn't have so much LAG. but just opening and closing ONE app gives you a big LAG. so much for the power of multitaskin'.
    Is this a joke? Usually you're more reasonable than this. Surely you see the logical inconsistency in what you've said. Don't you?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    wait until the iPhone 3GS and then compare

Quote Originally Posted by allthewayhome View Post
    I only tested 3 apps on an iPhone vs. my pre, the calculator, the calendar and the email, and both opened faster on the iphone. (oh, and the camera, and the Pre is much much faster for that).

I see what you're saying re: windows/dos. decisions decisions.
    Everyone seems to forget that webOS is currently a 1.0 OS VERSION! The iPhone is now up to version 3.0. Give it time people! It's only been one week!!
    Speed is fine for me. 5 sec for calendar, camera, 3 sec for txt etc..

Only speed problem is when I review a pic after using the camera.
    You guys need to start treating webOS/Pre as a computer and not a phone. If you have a handful of apps that you use on a regular basis, open them and leave the card open. Just like on a computer, you leave apps open you want to use. This is can be difficult because I always want to close cards when I am done with them, but this way works much better.

Apps will take time to launch, but once they are launched they are available in an instant.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I don't know about that answer... I actually think that's an unacceptable answer. I can see for you power users that need their calendar and email and browser (as an example) and maybe add evernote up because you are doing your 'power user' thing you do. but to leave camera and note open just to avoid the lag just because you can 'because pre multitasks?' I don't think so.

Some apps should be given that's its going to take time if it's a big app. But 5-missippi for calendar or camera? 3-mississipi for txt? Some things on a phone should be quicker or instantaneous and as much as I hate waiting for features on the iphone that I have had to wait, it was Jobs decision that nothing comes out if it effects it being a phone first and functioning like it. Even my 1st gen with 3.0 is not that slow on those apps mentioned. It is slow on others though

Multitasking is cool... no argument there... but not if it's going to be frustrating causing speed or crashes... then it's just like windows.

I can't wait to try 3GS if it really is 2X faster... maybe once they have optimized that, they may then open up to multitasking... would be nice but with apple no gaurantees... but probably because if it's gonna cause issues, they wont do it and I can live with that.

I think they will optimize pre in later updates just like iphone has when there were speed issues... but if the load times are true... i dont think it's right to say 'think of it as a computer.'

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You guys need to start treating webOS/Pre as a computer and not a phone. If you have a handful of apps that you use on a regular basis, open them and leave the card open. Just like on a computer, you leave apps open you want to use. This is can be difficult because I always want to close cards when I am done with them, but this way works much better.

Apps will take time to launch, but once they are launched they are available in an instant.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If you compare the Pre to the iPhone, which I think is a much more relevant comparison, apps open about as quickly (or slowly, however you want to look at it). The apps are simply much more graphically rich than on a BB, Windows Mobile, Symbian, etc. But, yes, in general, I think it's safe to say that both the Pre and the iPhone are slower in launching apps than the others.

But, the beauty with the Pre is that those apps remain open and functional (compared to the iPhone) and very easily accessible (compared to any other smartphone). I submit that once the cards are open, moving from one application to another is much quicker and certainly much easier. If you measured actual use of a number of devices, I think you'd find that the amount of time needed to get things done over, say, a 24 hour period would be much less with the Pre than with the others.

To me, it's like comparing a modern OS such as Windows 7 and OS X to DOS. Sure, a DOS machine opened individual applications more quickly than modern OS's open modern applications. But, the latter are far more attractive and robust, and of course the extra time spent in opening applications is quickly made up by the ability to keep them open and running.

Then, compare the Pre to an iPhone, which not only takes a few seconds to open a task but can't run them in the background, and the savings are even more obvious. Granted, I doubt that the delta is so great with current BBs, which seem to be optimized for speed. But I can say that I've gotten far more done with my Pre in the same amount of time than I ever got done with my Windows Mobile devices (which also can take some time to open apps).

It would be very interesting to benchmark some apps that run on each platform. The Evernote client is one that comes to mind that runs on the Pre, the iPhone, BB, and Windows Mobile. But the benchmark would be more than just how quickly the application opens on each platform, but rather would need to measure how accessible the application is once open and how quickly one can get real work done. Given that with the Pre version, multiple Evernote notes can be opened in their own cards, I wager that one could get more work done far more quickly on the Pre than any of the others.
    I've had the iphone since 1.0, and I can say that app opening time and the responsiveness of the system have improved a LOT since then. Wynand32, you make a great point that applications on the iPhone have to be opened again and again, whereas they only have to be opened up once on the Pre. That in itself is a huge gain in terms of productivity.
    that is true. I can't imagine contacts and calendar having high utilization while in the background. Switching to them would be much quicker than opening them even if there was very little lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Sorry but I've been spoiled by the relative quickness of Garnet... And 5s for calendar is absurd... I sincerely hope that this is only of an "1.0 thing"...
    Played with my friends iTouch and was surprised on how quickly it opens apps. I assume its the same speed as the iPhone (I haven't played with the iPhone more than once).

While the load time is a bit annoying sometimes, I still would choose the Palm Pre over the iPhone.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    the Pre's multitasking is definitely a better way to go than using the iPhone to open and close one app at a time.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-SC View Post
    the Pre's multitasking is definitely a better way to go than using the iPhone to open and close one app at a time.
    It sure is! I kept pressing the center button on my friends iTouch (I was a little tipsy) this weekend thinking it would put me in card view. Nope!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12