Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    i never hear anything on what the processor speed is on the pre.. also i was wondering what the on board memory on the pre is aswell?? can any one provide some insight?
    500mhz processor Ti 3430 processor (underclocked from 600mhz I believe)

256mb RAM
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

256mb RAM
    500mhz thats it! i figured it would at least be more than my Blackberry Bold which has 624mhz... how sure are you on this?
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I realize that this phone will be great! That's why I have one.. Thanks for the info and the mobile site aswell.
    From anandtech.com: AnandTech

"The Palm Pre uses TI's OMAP 3430 processor, clocked somewhere around 600MHz. The OMAP 3430 uses an ARM Cortex A8 core. The iPhone 3G uses an ARM11 based processor running at somewhere around 400MHz (thank you guys for the correction). The ARM11 in the iPhone 3G is a much older design than the Cortex A8 in the Palm Pre. Both processors are in-order architectures, but while the ARM11 was a single-issue chip the Cortex A8 is dual-issue.

The ARM11 has an 8 stage integer pipeline compared to a 13 stage integer pipeline in the Cortex A8, so the A8 loses some of its advantage there but makes up for it with its superscalar nature. There should be no contest when it comes to performance between these two chips, the Pre's Cortex A8 has the clear advantage. It's why Palm is able to enable pre-emptive multitasking while the iPhone pretty much can't.

The recently announced iPhone 3GS does address the performance issue, presumably by introducing a Cortex A8 based processor to the iPhone 3G. Apple is claiming significant improvements in battery life for everything but 3G talk time with the new iPhone. What this tells me is that Apple did a great job squeezing the most performance per watt out of its ARM11 based processor in the iPhone 3G. The new iPhone 3GS should have performance levels simliar to the Palm Pre, but if Apple's numbers are to be believed it means that battery life will go up significantly."
    I don't know the ins and outs of how much power is required for multitasking but I'd suspect it's a pretty stout processor to be able to handle quite a bit of tasks simultaneously with minimal slowdowns.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

256mb RAM
    I thought I read somewhere that the pre has 2Gb or ram?
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I read it had one gig what's with the 256mb??
    hmm nope everything I find shows 256Mb's... weird, I don't remember where I saw 2Gb.
    the processor speed is at a general consensus of 600 mhz. 256mb ram.

im trying to dig up an article but here is some info on the processor from pre central itself

Nigel over at The Red Ferret Journal has reported some very interesting information about the Palm Pre's processor. Nigel asked the chip maker Texas Instruments (TI) what is so special about the processor, which is the OMAP3430.

TI said that the ARM Cortex A8-based OMAP 3 processor in the Palm Pre is 3 times faster than the ARM11 core. So the Palm Pre's processor has the following features:

Boots in as little as 4 seconds
    Up to 4x graphical performance
    Up to 2x camera performance improvements
    Up to 4x video performance
    The chip in the Palm Pre supports up to a 12 megapixel camera and offers support for 720p HD video.
    hmm but to think that I still see some XP workstations running on 256Mb's of ram so I'm still happy with it
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    That'd be amazing if it had 2GB of RAM!
    in simple terms. the chip inside the palm pre is three times faster than whats in the current iphone. it should be equal or even possibly better to what is in the 3gs. but how it stacks up to the 3gs im not sure. so dont quote me on that
  14. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    My Pre does NOT boot in under 4secs, more like 90secs.
  15. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    If it had 2gb's of RAM, the Pre would be the most powerful smartphone of all time.....
    yeah yesterday I power cycled it and it took a good 2 minutes for it to boot. But I'm actually okay with that time due to the fact that so far in a week I haven't had a single reset or really a need to reset. The only reason I reset it was because I was curious to see how long it would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    My Pre does NOT boot in under 4secs, more like 90secs.
    yea that claim is based soley on the capabilities of the chip. they probably dont factor in operating systems and the rest of the components of a phone.
    hmm so the pre is going to get video then? I thought I read somewhere that it just wasn't ready for launch but it would eventually get added.
    hmm so the pre is going to get video then? I thought I read somewhere that it just wasn't ready for launch but it would eventually get added.
    short answer: yes

long answer: unless anything changes its like a 90% probability that they are working on it right now but other things take priority like get the security features working with the email
    That's correct. It DOES have 2Gb = 2 GigaBITS of RAM = 0.25GB = 0.25 GigaBytes = 256MegaBytes.

Odditory's detailed quote lists some important facts: You can't compare a single-issue-ISA ARM11 @624MHz with a multi-issue-ISA processor running at 500MHz or 600MHz. This is for the same reason why the Intel Netburst architecture of the Pentium IV generation was a complete flop - though it ran at high clockspeeds, you couldn't compare it to the speed of a significantly-lower-clocked AMD Athlon-based processor, or a Core/Core 2-based processor of today. High clocks are usually no match for instruction-level parallelism and its associated multiple fetch and execution units.

Otherwise, it's like saying that a 4-cylinder engine is slower than a 6-cylinder engine - which may be true in some cases, but take a 4-cyl with a big bore in a light car, vs. an old clunky 6-cylinder from the 80s in a huge car, and the small car will leave the 6-cyl in the dust. It's all about the processor's architecture.
    Last edited by ByteMaster0; 06/13/2009 at 01:48 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast