Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's correct. It DOES have 2Gb = 2 GigaBITS of RAM = 0.25GB = 0.25 GigaBytes = 256MegaBytes.

Well Ram is never calculated by bits but I see your calculation is pretty close. I just can't seem to figure out where I read it.

whoops.. I quoted it wrong.. oh well
    Last edited by syphex; 06/13/2009 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    That's correct. It DOES have 2Gb = 2 GigaBITS of RAM = 0.25GB = 0.25 GigaBytes = 256MegaBytes.

Well Ram is never calculated by bits but I see your calculation is pretty close. I just can't seem to figure out where I read it.

whoops.. I quoted it wrong.. oh well
    It's not just close - it's exact. Remember, RAM is always measured by addressable space - which occurs in powers of 2. Thus, a quarter gigabyte (where 1GB is 1024MB) is 256MB, since you have 2^28 bytes of memory.

Also, RAM is indeed calculated in bits. Not by the end-user - he/she sees an end-product measured in megabytes/gigabytes/terabytes. However, RAM manufacturers actually refer to their silicon as [x]-Gbit chips. It allows you to more easily compute bus widths when addressing (dividing by 8 is hard, apparently) and when figuring out if you want to overcharge, er, sorry, "give performance advantages" with dual and triple-channel addressing schemes, etc. Also, it looks bigger.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Get a better wallpaper first and thou shall know the truth.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Why is my phone getting super warm??..almost hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by papla View Post
    Why is my phone getting super warm??..almost hot??
    Is this while charging? Browsing? Talking? Charging and talking?

If it's not while charging, you may be in an area of lower reception requiring the radios to boost their output power. If it's while charging, that tends to happen with smartphones, though it shouldn't be too hot to the touch. If it's while charging AND talking, you're bound to have some heat issues. None of which should affect the phone or, at least in theory, cause a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    the processor speed is at a general consensus of 600 mhz. 256mb ram.

im trying to dig up an article but here is some info on the processor from pre central itself
    The speed is 500mhz.

Despite its slower clock speed the processor in the Pre is significantly more powerful then anything other then the iPhone 3gS. And it seems like it is slightly more powerful there too.
    Hello guys. I don't understand something and i can't find it. The palm pre has the same processor with the iPhone 3G S or not???
    the pre processor is like a slower guy with larger buckets as compared as to a little faster guy filling a pool with smaller buckets.

Larger buckets on my pre for the win lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The speed is 500mhz.

Despite its slower clock speed the processor in the Pre is significantly more powerful then anything other then the iPhone 3gS. And it seems like it is slightly more powerful there too.
    where did you get this? I have seen every site I checked saying it was 600 mhz.
    I think the best place to look or ask this info is from the people hacking the device. I believe there is a thread that talks about scaling and how it is disabled atm. And some people have gotten up to 600, but its set at 500 for now....from what i have read.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    where did you get this? I have seen every site I checked saying it was 600 mhz.
    The processor in the Pre is capable of 600 MHz. In the current configuration (i.e. software) it is running at 500 MHz. The faster the processor goes, the faster the batter drains.

Ideally, probably much in the future, CPU scaling will be implemented that will throttle the clock rate. If done correctly, battery life will increase when the phone isn't doing much, but still feel as fast when doing heavy tasks.
    The Pre has 256 megabytes of RAM
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12