Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

One feature that I would like (for my mother) and hope is available on the Pre is the ability to read Chinese texts and websites. When we played with the Apple iPhone at the mall, she could also type Chinese characters using pinyin. Does anybody know if this is available/possible to do on the Pre? Much appreciated, thanks!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    not sure about entering text, but email and web interface are great:

3.    #3  
    Wow that looks awesome.

Anybody know if you can type input Chinese characters somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by psxguy205 View Post
    Wow that looks awesome.

Anybody know if you can type input Chinese characters somehow?

you can try two ways, by using online input method or use the palm simulator to run the 掌易 or 巨硬, however you cannot use the simulator to do the calls or message.
  5.    #5  
    Can you clarify? Are these options on the Pre? I don't have one yet.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Yes . there are some user test the Chinese input in Chinese Forum treo8.com/bbs and hi-pda.com

we can input Chinese by online input confirmed already..
    I think what they are talking about is:

Online input - using a web site that has its own input method as a web application.

Running 掌易 or 巨硬 in the Palm emulator - I'm assuming those are programs that provide Chinese input on the old PalmOS. I think they're referring to running these on the Classic PalmOS emulator that is available for the Pre.

Ryrongyu and navyyang, is that correct?
    Please give us more details! I'm not yet fluent enough in Chinese to read those forums.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post

Online input - using a web site that has its own input method as a web application.

Running 掌易 or 巨硬 in the Palm emulator - I'm assuming those are programs that provide Chinese input on the old PalmOS. I think they're referring to running these on the Classic PalmOS emulator that is available for the Pre.

YES. We can input Chinese by online input (visit Chinese online input websites) and Copy it to where you want.

Or , run classic in Pre, install CHOS (Chinese support softerware) and PIME(ZhangYI - meansa hand easy-Chinese input softerware) or JuYing (another Chinese input softerware), then you can input Chinese by PinYin(拼音) or WuBi(五笔) or other mothods...
    Last edited by navyyang; 06/14/2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Any links to online input websites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post

yes, that's it. however, be noted, the simulator doesn't work well in the phone and message modes, so coming back to the normal contact mode, you need online input method as interim solution. Take it easy, someone are working on it, chinese market has huge potential. maybe in the near future, Palm will release official version by themselves.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    the best one should be InputKing在线中文输入系统

or you can find others by
    鍦ㄧ嚎 杈撳叆 - Google 鎼滅储

google 在线输入 (input online)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Any links to online input websites?
    you can search the post in the /treo8.com/. this is a chinese forum without english support, , but I think whoever concern about the chinese input should understand Chinese
    have you started to use Pre? envying... we cannot get it in mainland now even the US market supply is tight
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrongyu View Post
    you can search the post in the /treo8.com/. this is a chinese forum without english support, , but I think whoever concern about the chinese input should understand Chinese

yes . you can search treo8.com
    and you can post in English and we will use English too..
    (Since most our visitors like read Chinese and know few English, we use Chinese in the forum)

and I think you can use google translate the forum to get more information.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrongyu View Post
    Well, I'm learning Chinese and would like to practice simple writing, but it's difficult for me to read the web forums in Chinese. So would it be possible for someone to post a link to a favoite input website or two? It would be much appreciated!
    Sorry, I missed NavyYang's link to InputKing. Thanks very much!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I hope can get my Pre next week.. one of my frineds help me get one.

I'm looking for how to active it without Sprint network and account now..

Although Steven Troughton-Smith active it without Sprint network, but he haven't told us how to do it.

High Caffeine Content: WWDC+Palm Pre = Rollercoaster Week
  19.    #19  
    Thanks everybody for the help so far. I'm hoping there can be an app where you can write in Chinese or just a better way to input Chinese characters.
    OK, here's a problem. I can input PinYin into InputKing and select the appropriate characters. Great! But the Pre offers no way to copy text from a web page! So how can you get it into an email message?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast