webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Difference between Unlocked & No Contract.
Difference between Unlocked & No Contract.

Old 06/12/2009, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys, I am in China and love the Pre very much. There is a EVDO service provider here in China on whose network I want to use my future Pre.

But I am not quite clear about something. Could you guys help me out? Thanks in advance.

I know the device is locked to run on Sprint exclusively. Does it mean one can not use it on Verizon (same as China's operators) CDMA network, even he can re-write the ESN/A-Key etc.? It has to be UNLOCKED first? And second flash the ESN/A-Key info to the phone? or something?
erichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2009, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

You will need to talk to your provider. I know Asia has CDMA phones with a sims type card, like GSM phones have, but I am not sure which Asian countries use them or which Asian providers..

palandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: erichoo
Old 06/12/2009, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palandri View Post
You will need to talk to your provider. I know Asia has CDMA phones with a sims type card, like GSM phones have, but I am not sure which Asian countries use them or which Asian providers..
Thank you!

China Telecom is the only provider here having CDMA networks. Yes, they use UIM card (like SIM) - but there are many CDMA phones from the US operators running on China Telecom's networks. Though they refuse to do that officially, I have friends who can flash the info to phone. Just do not know if or not there is another procedure to be done before the info-flashing, that is UNLOCK.

If unlocking is unnecessary, I will immediately buy a pre at eBay.

Last edited by erichoo; 06/13/2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06/13/2009, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think the Pre uses a CSIM.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2009, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I don't think the Pre uses a CSIM.
No, Pre does not.

China's situation: ESN/IMSI/A-key are not on the phone, but on the UIM card (exactly like SIM and works also like SIM). So, as long as we can read ESN/IMSI/A-key out of the UIM card, issued by the operator, and then flash the info onto the phone, we can use the phone in China - many US phones running on China's CDMA networks like this.

I was just wondering if Pre has got to be Unlocked first, before I flash the ESN/IMSI/A-key to phone.
Old 06/24/2009, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichoo View Post
I was just wondering if Pre has got to be Unlocked first, before I flash the ESN/IMSI/A-key to phone.
Yes, all Sprint phones are locked in the sense that the MSL is set to something other than 000000. This is different than GSM locking. All you need is to read the MSL with software tools and then you can get into the programming area of the pre.

Beyond that, there is an activation process on the pre that needs to be bypassed.

See as a start:
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Palm Pre SPC
johncase3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

so cannot use pre on at&t?
Whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2009, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

You will be able to buy a GSM Version of the Palm Pre here: www POINT o2online POINT de

It will be available in time for christmas, O2-Germany stated...

It's not locked. You can use every SIM Card from every Provider!

I can't wait to buy one!!! ahhhh its so cruel!!! =) But at least, when the Phone hits the Germany Market, the childhood diseases will be fixed =)
Kerschbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Be aware the German Pre will have a German keyboard (QWERTZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerschbaum View Post
You will be able to buy a GSM Version of the Palm Pre here: www POINT o2online POINT de

It will be available in time for christmas, O2-Germany stated...

It's not locked. You can use every SIM Card from every Provider!

I can't wait to buy one!!! ahhhh its so cruel!!! =) But at least, when the Phone hits the Germany Market, the childhood diseases will be fixed =)
Richard Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0