Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Anyone agree that the Pre is bit Premature? I think they should offer a free charging dock for the trouble most people went through waiting in line for a phone with so many flaws.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hermetics View Post
    Anyone agree that the Pre is bit Premature? I think they should offer a free charging dock for the trouble most people went through waiting in line for a phone with so many flaws.
    My phone has needed a restart once, and that's about the only trouble I've had with it. The PIM applications are solid enough, and the App Catalog is updated almost daily.

And remember, it's difficult to judge if the influx of negative posts here really reflects the experience the general populace is having with the phone.

With that in mind, would you care to elaborate on your statement?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    My phone has needed a restart once, and that's about the only trouble I've had with it. The PIM applications are solid enough, and the App Catalog is updated almost daily.

And remember, it's difficult to judge if the influx of negative posts here really reflects the experience the general populace is having with the phone.

With that in mind, would you care to elaborate on your statement?
    I waited on line to get this phone just like many others here and I was very disappointed with what I found.

1)Lack of EAS support ....... deal breaker
    2)Bad functionality moving around screen.......when compared to a BB
    3)Battery Life not good enough for a real of work........ not imaginary day like most have reported
    4)Lack of apps and support at launch
    5)Lack of character recognition while on web pages

But for a full list of issues please find the "known bugs" post.
    Okay I have been lurking around this forum for some time and finally decided to make an account.

I just can't believe you bought this phone for heavy corporate use when even sprint and palm have said that it isn't ready for THAT particular application yet.

For most users, like me, the pre is perfect for everyday email use, txt, web browsing (A HUGE improvement over my curve which was abysmal to say the least)

The phone isn't for everyone, just because you cant use it for an application they said it wasn't good for (yet). Doesn't mean the phone isn't ready for primetime.

As for apps, they have been getting absolutely CRANKED out lately, on average of 5-6 new apps a day, very useful ones at that

I hope this helps, I do not want to flame I am just giving my two cents
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i think it was premature. i really believe they rushed to get this phone out before the iphone to create more hype.
    Also I would like to add, while I am not saying I think the pre launch was premature giving my personal opinions I would rather the phone be released early if the hardware is done (here is where the war starts that the hardware is crap but MOST people have had no problems, and no I don't want to hear a story about how you bought 3 and 2 broke)

The bottom line is, is that if their was a huge return rate of any significant value it would be spewed all over the news and a recall would most likely be in place.

Anyway I digress. as far as software I would rather them release a working phone (Some say its a "beta" or whatever). I would rather buy a really AWESOME phone, with a great new OS and lacking SOME features to play with it now, instead of months later.

Especially when the issues are deal breakers (unless you need the SSL EAS support, in which case this phone is probably not for you even if that was fixed)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Everyone rushes their products out because they have been spending millions of dollars developing it and sinking money into it and people want to see some return on their investment.

Personally, I'm extremely satisfied with the phone. I was anxious to get it, and I'd rather have it now, with the occasional bug than to wait 3 months for it to be perfectly polished. Either way, I'm going to have the same quality of product in 3 months, but I can play with it now.

If you are the type that can't deal with a few bugs and like to whine about it, then wait for 3-6 months and then buy it. If you think it's rushed, wait to buy until you hear everyone saying it's taken care of.

I love my Pre and I couldn't be happier with it. I will be happier when they fix a few of the issues and get better EAS support so I can get the exception turned off on my Exchange server, but I would SOOOOO much rather have it now than wait until it was perfect. It's a very incredible phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    Everyone rushes their products out because they have been spending millions of dollars developing it and sinking money into it and people want to see some return on their investment.

Personally, I'm extremely satisfied with the phone. I was anxious to get it, and I'd rather have it now, with the occasional bug than to wait 3 months for it to be perfectly polished. Either way, I'm going to have the same quality of product in 3 months, but I can play with it now.

If you are the type that can't deal with a few bugs and like to whine about it, then wait for 3-6 months and then buy it. If you think it's rushed, wait to buy until you hear everyone saying it's taken care of.

I love my Pre and I couldn't be happier with it. I will be happier when they fix a few of the issues and get better EAS support so I can get the exception turned off on my Exchange server, but I would SOOOOO much rather have it now than wait until it was perfect. It's a very incredible phone.
    I beat you too it, but glad to see someone agrees with me. What I don't like is that releasing it "soon" like some people think it puts off a general bad image because people expect an almost perfect product on a BRAND new concept phone (I cant remember the last smart phone that had a new OS and cutting edge hardware as far as speed to not be riddle with bugs). But people do expect a perfect product when they spend lost of money in which case they get a bad impression, I think this mentality COULD hurt sales
    I have had no trouble with the phone at all. I have yet to restart it. I have my exchange account synced up. The os is so amazing to use coming from win mobile... The only thing I can complain about is sprints coverage in my house hopefully an airrave will fix.
    My Pre is perfect, I haven't had any issues with it. My reception is prefect and stays between 4 and 5 bars. My battery life lasts at least 15 hours that's with Wifi on and surfing the net. Actually it's probably more than that, I charged it last night and just plugged it in and it was at 9%. My sister and brother-in-law both have Pre's and don't have any problems either.
    Yet another iTroll, methinks. These Apple fanatics think they're so clever that no one can smell the Cupertino Kool-Aid on their breath as they try to stir up the locals with "benign" comments about how there's a 130% defect rate and it shouldn't have been released for at least two more years or until there can be a guarantee of absolute perfection in the hardware and software. Uh-huh. Yeah, right.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I think hermetics just likes to whine. Not sure why, but he seems to have a personal grudge against it that he spends a lot of time venting with.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Obviously, you've never been an early adopter before. I can't think of one piece of hardware/software that's 1.0 that was absolutely perfect.

I bought the 128K Mac in '84. It was so new I didn't know the shortcomings, but they were tremendous. Didn't have a hard drive till months later.

Ever use Windows 1.0? That'll make you think.

Did you get the first Iphone? Yeah, think about it.

I bought the first Palm Pilot. Good gosh, compared to my 9-year old Clie it's a dinosaur not to mention my Treo.

Brand new OS here. Maybe the hardware's not cooked completely, but this baby has barely taken off. Just wait until it gets some altitude. Then you'll see some real barnstorming.

If you don't have the guts to be first in line, then let us pros at it for a while. When all the kinks are worked out then you'll have a perfect phone without tears.

I'm taking it you're not a Windows user, right? Microsoft has been selling beta OS systems since the beginning.
    People say "Well this phone NEEDS to compeate with the iphones v3 software" they are in the same market and while I somewhat agree you also need to look at it like this.

The Iphone is as refined as it is going to get. it has been out for years and has been perfected. If you want a perfect phone get it I wont mind.

But if you want a phone that is VERY close to the iphone in terms of usability and MANY other features that does it better and there are things it does worse.

My point is, if this phone is even CLOSE to the iphone in terms of usability and performance and many other things. The Iphone will most likely not get any updates that make it leaps better.

But the pre can, the pre os has yet to be perfected. Think about how many leaps and bounds it will be ahead of the iphone as time goes on (you have a 2 year contract, you should think 2 years ahead here).
    Anyone who has spent any time following/using smartphones has seen this happen time and time again. People whine, complain, ***** and moan because a company can't the product out soon enough. And then when it is released, people whine, moan, ***** and complain cause it is not perfect. OK, maybe not the same people, but you get my point. This forum has followed the SOP of every other highly anticipated smartphone rollout, unfortunately.

hermetics - take it back, move on (oh, and I assume you have one - can't always be sure because there are many in this forum that have dismissed the Pre after 3 minutes with a store demo or just reading this forum).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Life has tradeoffs. Palm made them and those who purchased a Pre on day 1 (myself included) made tradeoffs.

Palm made a CHOICE to release a phone that would not be polished enough to keep fence-sitters, but would persuade loyalists and those unhappy with their phone or plan. They released a compelling phone that had some significant flaws.

I'm not talking about functionality improvements. I'm talking basic EAS support, battery life and signal strength. All known issues (assuming basic testing) and all potential dealbreakers for the users with the problems.

I think it was a smart choice because they beat Apple to the punch, released it primarily to fans/loyalists with no marketing, and have until the 3Gs is launched to fix the firmware. Given the high stakes, probably a decent business decision.
    This is hilarious. First Palm is terrible because even though they announced the Pre would be released in the first half of the year, and fulfilled that promise, many whined and complained that they were waiting too long.

Now, we get the ole "premature" complaint. There will always be someone to whine about something.

It's a phone, get over it. If it doesn't do what you want, get a different one. This isn't that complicated.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Don't they make a pill for that? Enzyte comes to mind.
    There's so much whining about this phone it's amazing.
    Anybody here grab an early HTC Diamond or Touch Pro?!

I've spent months wiht my Touch Pro cooking ROMS adding and removing programs, different shells, W6.5, adding and removing programs and still could not get it to do basic things it SHOULD do.

This phone is incredible.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hermetics View Post
    I disagree. For everything I need or want it to do, it's worked as advertised or better. I don't mind paying for the touchstone because it IS bleeding-edge technology and I want it now (not in 2 years when every phone will have it standard).

I know others are having issues with the phone not meeting their expectations, but I'm sorry to say that it's met all mine and then some.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast