Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    you could always look at getting a simple repeater. I believe those will boost both 1x and EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    i believe youre trying to say they are calling my bluff....
    Call back, ask for retentions (or choose the cancel service option from the voice prompt). Don't demand a free airave, explain your situation nicely and tell them that att/verizon works great in your office and that you don't to "return the phone and cancel service" but you don't have much choice. The trick is to let them offer it to you. They tried to sell me one and I simply said I will not pay for a device that provides me the "service" I am already paying for and they gave it to me. btw.. It took me three phone calls to get it finally.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    Just wondering, how does the airwave effect data transfer speeds, same, faster?
    Funny you should ask...

One of my big gripes about the Pre was the painfully slow or inability to sync with Google calendar. It was almost a dealbreaker and cause to return phone.

With the full strength signal that the Airave provides, the calendar function on the phone now works and updates quickly. I still wish I could sync with Palm Desktop or iCal and Address Book but that's a discussion for another thread.

Robyn
    Palm Pilot -->Handspring Visor -->Handspring Visor Edge-->Treo 300-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobynG View Post
    I still wish I could sync with Palm Desktop or iCal and Address Book but that's a discussion for another thread.
    Have you looked at Missing Sync?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Have you looked at Missing Sync?
    Yes, and even tried it last night but the transfer got stuck and I couldn't complete it. It may be worth trying again now that I have such a stronger connection on my phone.
    Palm Pilot -->Handspring Visor -->Handspring Visor Edge-->Treo 300-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->Treo 755p
    Don't be so mad, just yet!!!
    I have been with sprint for long time (2001) I had to buy my airave minus the monthly fee.
    I figured I got that out of them so I'd be happy, not as good as free but better than having to buy it and then pay a monthly fee too!
    Now, if I could just get a battery life to last me through the day!!!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Should be receiving mine early next week. My area doesn't have the best signal to begin with, but after getting the Pre it was even worse.

Got it for free and everything. I work from home so its important for me not to drop calls.
    Reception in my home has always been pretty bad. One or two bars TOPs.. I drop calls every now and then too.. But it's not just Sprint, all of my friends with T-Mobile and ATT have awful signal in here too. Verizon's is decent...

But I have been a sprint customer for about 10 years, are you telling me I can get one of these things for free?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couth View Post
    Reception in my home has always been pretty bad. One or two bars TOPs.. I drop calls every now and then too..
    But I have been a sprint customer for about 10 years, are you telling me I can get one of these things for free?
    I live in a house with plaster and wire lathe, and my reception has been the same as yours, 1-2 bars max with my Mogul and 6700 and all of the other phones I've had over the last 11 years. But when I switched to the Pre, there was almost no service. 0 bars, roaming, dropped calls, and occasionally no signal at all.

So I called up customer service and spoke to "Susan," with the only slightly disguised Indian accent, who told me it was probably a hardware problem. I told her it wasn't because my wife's Pre was acting exactly the same way. Then she suggested I buy the Airave. I told her I wouldn't pay to resolve their signal issue and the poor reception of the Pre.

She then transferred me to Technical Support who said they are not allowed to do anything with the Pre and that they were supposed to direct people straight to Palm's support line. He gave me the number and I told him that Palm's tech support isn't going to do anything for Sprint's poor signal, so he should just transfer me to retentions.

I should say that I wanted to speak to retentions all along, but was at work and forgot to bring the number with me, so I played the game hoping that I might catch someone helpful in regular CS. Obviously I was a little too hopeful.

Once on with retentions, I explained the problem for the third time and he asked if he could put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked something. Figuring I knew where he was going with this, I gladly said yes. When he came back on the line, he said he had good news, he could GIVE me the Airave, and he would check on whether he could also give me the service.

I again agreed to be put on hold, liking how this was going so far.

After a few minutes, he came back and said he could give me the service for free as well. No mention of any time limit, just that he would have to bill me for the service and then credit it back.
    i called with the same problem, im a new customer and said i would leave cuz the phone doesnt work in my office, he tried to SELL me an airave...i said no i am NOT buying one...u have to give me one to keep me!

then he proceeded to tell me that NEW customers are not offered it as a retention incentive...no value!

I then proceeded to explain to him how contrary to business ethics as the $2500 they are guarenteed to make off of me over the next 2 years is worth more then the $100 they would lose on an airave. NO DICE...and a supe confirmed it!

Can you believe they are willing to lose me as a customer over a $100 item that they GIVE to all the older customers....i am PISSED!
    So, you left?

If not, then you have your explanation. You bluffed, they called you.
    So...here's my gripe. I live 15 minutes from the Sprint World Headquarters; in KC and the service inside and outside of my home is terrible. I actually go into 'roaming' mode when I'm inside and when I'm outside it's so weak that I barely receive phone calls. Can't really make / accept a call without it dropping the connection. I'm a new Sprint customer; left TMO for the Pre. I've called Sprint customer service for help since I picked up my PRE on Saturday. Each night they walked me through some options but ultimately told me i had to wait on the ticket being worked by their engineers. Called back this evening and they said they were still working on it. The rep asked me if I knew about the Airwave device...or if anyone mentioned it to me before. He said I was eligible and may get it free and the service free. But...I had to go back to the Sprint store to get it. HE said to have them call the retention line when I came in.

We'll see if it happens tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    (1) Yes, my Pre gets one bar less than my Centro did, at least around my house. (I went from 0-3 bars to 0-2 bars.) But this might be apples-to-oranges: my Centro shows up to 6 bars, while my Pre only shows 5 max.

(2) Yes, my phone calls periodically switch on and off airave mid-call, probably due to the fluctuating strength of the main signal (even though I'm sitting next to the Airave).

(3) Yes, the Airave can improve data rate if you have a poor signal, but only up to 153.8 Kbps over CDMA. It does not support EVDO, which can go as high as 3 Mbps. If you've got a wireless router, you might be better using WiFi in the vicinity.

Click here to download the Airave FAQ (PDF).
    Well so far 12hrs in i'm happy with the airave...my service now is pretty much full all the time now which has increased my calls received so far and I even notice a slight increase in web surfing, less load time ... I do notice tho as a side crutch no ev icon now inside but full loaded bars ,,,

With wifi connected to my home its not a big deal and now having good service I am hoping my battery will lasts alot longer ...
    why's everyone think they are entitled to a free airwave? Tho, I agree it'd be in sprint's best interest to sell it to us cheap, but if I just got a customer, and they were demanding a free airwave, i'd probably cut them lose. they'd likely cost me more in the long run.
    The Airave is not so easy to get as a new customer as it is if you have been with sprint a long time and premier status has a lot to do with it also.
    If i was Sprint, i'd be bundling these with the Pre. They'll make it back via the 4.99 a month or unlimited airave plans.

Incidentally, I noticed my wife's old Centro rang when i called her. Her Pre rang too. Must be the Airave.
    in my office, VZW and AT&T get full bars all the time.....
    So why not use VZW or AT&T.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    why's everyone think they are entitled to a free airwave? Tho, I agree it'd be in sprint's best interest to sell it to us cheap, but if I just got a customer, and they were demanding a free airwave, i'd probably cut them lose. they'd likely cost me more in the long run.
    Wanting a Pre, but having it unable to hold a signal where other Sprint phones do, might entitle someone to a free airwave
    Quote Originally Posted by btrotta View Post

Once on with retentions, I explained the problem for the third time and he asked if he could put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked something. Figuring I knew where he was going with this, I gladly said yes. When he came back on the line, he said he had good news, he could GIVE me the Airave, and he would check on whether he could also give me the service.

I again agreed to be put on hold, liking how this was going so far.

After a few minutes, he came back and said he could give me the service for free as well. No mention of any time limit, just that he would have to bill me for the service and then credit it back.
    This was much like my experience this morning. I got through to retentions. I explaned to the lady that we have never gotten good service at home with Sprint. We have almost no problems other places, but at home, we typically have 0 bars, sometimes 1, and sometimes it switches to roaming!

Instead of going the "gimme or else" route, I told I was not going to switch services over this issue, but that it was extremely irritating. I told her I knew about the Airave, but that I didn't feel I should have to purchase a device, and pay monthly charge, just to be able to get good phone service at home.

She agreed, and got me set up with both for free (I get charged, then get credited back).

I should say, the "gimme or else" comment is not meant as a condemnation on others that really do feel strongly enough about this to switch - however, I'm a big believer in avoiding the hyperbole. I think most business folks, when preented with complainst reasonably, will respond in the same manner. I was glad to see that Sprint was reasonable with this issue.

I think though, that too many people call Sprint retentions and make demands using threats that are bluffs. That hurts us all when we have real issues.

Additonal Note: I'm a premier customer, and have been with Sprint for over 6 years.
    Robyn, can you describe the GPS dongle? Is it a separate piece (antenna?) and does it need to have an unobstructed view? All my networking gear (router, cable modem, media server) is in a cabinet by the laundry room and, by design, it's smack in the middle of the house.

Can anyone describe this GPS piece of the Airave?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast