Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I love the pre but have had a terrible time with dropped calls and callers that couldn't hear me. I made a revelation today about the cause and the workaround.

I was talking to someone on speaker and switched to handheld. The caller said that they couldn't hear me at all so I went back to speaker and they could hear me perfectly. It occurred to me that the phone was on the table when it worked and in my hand when it didn't, so I ran a test.

First, I removed the battery cover because I have the inductive charging back and I thought that might be a factor: nope, same symptoms.

Next, I held the phone at the bottom (covering the lower antenna traces) and the person on the other end couldn't hear a word I said.

I moved my hand to the top to cover the antennae there and he could hear me perfectly! I repeated this test several more times and it's clear that covering the antenna at the bottom of the phone kills the call quality.

By sliding the keyboard out and holding the screen at the sides with one finger on the mirror, I get perfect call quality.

WOOHOO! Now I can keep my Pre and not relegate it to a data-only role!

-darren
    Last edited by darrenf; 06/12/2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I think some cell phone god was just messing with you and laughing as you kept moving your hand up and down trying to effect the signal.

Mine works fine whether opened or closed.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    To be clear, opened or closed doesn't make a difference. When I hold the phone at the bottom, the signal goes to crap (talking voice here) but when I hold it at the top it is crystal clear.

Opening the slider just makes it easier to hold at the top while putting the antennas further from my hand.

-darren
    Yes, if you bring up the dailer application and enter ##33284# you will get the debug screen. Scroll down and take a look at Rx power. You will see a BIG difference in receiver power if you hold the phone vs laying it on a table. This is keeping the phone in the same flat orientation. This is definately a design flaw!
    Interesting theory. I'll try it. I do recall someone telling me that while I was talking with the keyboard extended, they said it sounded like I was in a closet. When I closed the keyboard, they immediately said "WOW thats better".

FWIW
    This has been the case with pretty much every phone I have owned. Heck, some of them even come with a sticker out of the box that explains how to hold the phone. However, the level of reports on the pre should not be caused be holding the phone improperly. Something else is wrong.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Interesting theory. I'll try it. I do recall someone telling me that while I was talking with the keyboard extended, they said it sounded like I was in a closet. When I closed the keyboard, they immediately said "WOW thats better".

FWIW
    I was told the same thing which is why I kept it closed during calls and cupped in my hand. I'm told that the difference isn't all that dramatic, though, and being heard from a closet is better than not being heard.

-darren
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    This has been the case with pretty much every phone I have owned. Heck, some of them even come with a sticker out of the box that explains how to hold the phone. However, the level of reports on the pre should not be caused be holding the phone improperly. Something else is wrong.
    This is the first phone I've ever owned that has the cellular antenna at the bottom of the phone. It's also one of the only ones not to have an antenna nub, so perhaps that's more common in phones with no antenna nub.

-darren
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    actually, I noticed that while I was browsing the web, if i held the phone with both hands from the bottom while typing, my signal dropped off. if i held the phone more from the sides, the signal would go back up.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    This is the first phone I've ever owned that has the cellular antenna at the bottom of the phone. It's also one of the only ones not to have an antenna nub, so perhaps that's more common in phones with no antenna nub.

-darren
    I currently have an Instinct and it's a fully internal antenna. I am not sure where in the phone it is located, but I have never had any issues with call quality. I do hold the phone with my thumb on the right side, and my middle finger on the left side, my index finger just rests lightly on the back middle of the phone, with my palm away from the phone. So that may be a thing to try with the Pre as well.
    The instinct antenna is in the bottom. It was thought this was a cause that signal dropped when holding the phone. Some have the issue, others don't. I think for the most part that everyone holds the phone closer to the bottom so if that is what it is then all phone manufacturers need to change where they mount the antenna. I guess they have to make room for the power button and headphone jacks though...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I was (foolishly) moving my hand to the bottom to avoid the antenna when I would have signal issues. Ironically, this was making things much worse and would lead to signal fade and a dropped call.

Looking at the way I hold the phone (almost horizontal), I guess the antenna being on the bottom is not a dealbreaker -- I just have to learn to stay away from it.

I would guess that the antennae at the top are GPS and WiFi. GPS would probably suffer from a bottom-mounted antenna given how weak that signal is.

-darren
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VXXXJesterXXXV View Post
    I currently have an Instinct and it's a fully internal antenna. I am not sure where in the phone it is located, but I have never had any issues with call quality. I do hold the phone with my thumb on the right side, and my middle finger on the left side, my index finger just rests lightly on the back middle of the phone, with my palm away from the phone. So that may be a thing to try with the Pre as well.
    That's what I'm doing now, and I'm sliding the keyboard open and putting my index finger on the word "Sprint" on the mirror. That has helped a lot. I actually had a 30 minute call with no drops! (I never thought something like that would excite me )

-darren