Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i use it to minimize the cards before throwing them off the screen. how else can you minimize them?
    I lurve my Pre! <3
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopalee View Post
    i use it to minimize the cards before throwing them off the screen. how else can you minimize them?
    When you are at the "Home" leve of an application, usually a Back Gesture will minimize the app. I've found it doesn't always work though, so then I use the button.
    Use the button. Can't find any other use for it. Seems to be it's sole purpose.
    For the people who are barely using it, how else are you guys minimizing the window without it? i would love to know! As for the back button, it only works to minimize when a minimized app was the last screen you were on.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The phone would have been even sleeker without it. Have the entire area for gestures and those sweet leds still for notifications and whatnot. Would be easier to slide open as well, since I always try to avoid the button when I do.
    You do a swipe up the screen (from the gesture area) to minimize a card.

I don't use the button except for the "uses" others here have mentioned - at first kept forgetting it doesn't turn the Pre on, to check the orientation of the device, and to see the little blinky lights when you use a gesture.

They must have other uses planned for it in future updates for them to have included the thing - that's the only thing I can think! 'Cause it is stupid for the menu, since you can either swipe or use the wave quick menu to get to the menu. (I don't use the wave much [except on the bottom of the home multi-card view] 'cause I keep forgetting about it.)

Not only is the swipe easier, it flows better with everything else on the phone; pushing the button feels so unnatural when you're swiping and tapping the screen for everything else.
  7. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    You do a swipe up the screen (from the gesture area) to minimize a card.
    ^I noticed this the other day as well... if you swipe all the way up the entire screen starting from the gesture area (the part just below the screen itself), then it will minimize the current card you are on and show you the homescreen... just like hitting the front center button would.

Being a long-time Treo user, I have to admit I am used to hitting a physical button to perform operations, so I have been using the center button to minimize the cards until recently.

L8R
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I definitely think both the center butotn, and the launcher icon at the bottom are both redundant, and annoying. It's much easier to do two quick upward swipes than to a)use the wave thingy or b) click the button, then bring up the launcher.

if the center button would wake up the phone, or answer a call, that would be AMAZING.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    The centerball needs seriously work as far as configurability. For starters we should be able to configure what it does, second there should be a configurable DOUBLE-CLICK action (ie start Camera App). Third it needs to either blink or stay lit (perhaps even make that configurable) for Notifications. Fourth it needs to turn on the screen if its off (or at least make it an option).

Do all that and I'm in heaven. I sometimes find myself wishing it was a blackberry trackball, but i'll take what i can get since web browsing sucks on my old BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I definitely think both the center butotn, and the launcher icon at the bottom are both redundant, and annoying. It's much easier to do two quick upward swipes than to a)use the wave thingy or b) click the button, then bring up the launcher.

if the center button would wake up the phone, or answer a call, that would be AMAZING.
    I agree. I also wish that you could have the launcher and the 'wave launcher' have different apps. It would make it incredibly convenient to get to 7 or 8 apps instead of just 3.
    [QUOTE=UserOne;1675061Being a long-time Treo user, I have to admit I am used to hitting a physical button to perform operations, so I have been using the center button to minimize the cards until recently.[/QUOTE]

It is funny, but I've been using Palms since the Palm Pilot came out, so I'm used to hard buttons, but I don't miss them at all on the Pre and don't even use the one hard button it has!

Before I got the Pre, I was using my Centro as my phone and on that I have a program that turns one of your hard keys into a pop-up menu (kinda like a Windows Start menu - you can have programs on the main pop-up and also have slide-out sub-menus). I was always using that, which starts with pressing a hard key to bring the menu up, so you'd think pressing the Pre hard key would be natural for me.

I guess I just subconsciously like swiping up more or it blends more with the design and features for me or something.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Swipe up in the gesture area when a card is opened. It minimizes the card, which makes the center button even more useless to me
    I've started exclusively using the swipe up from the gesture area to minimize. I really wish the center button was a scroll wheel or a dpad. Not a deal breaker but would help when trying to edit text and could have been useful for future apps.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    yeah i'm with you guys that center button should really blink for new notifications. it's a pain to have to hit the power button to check that. something so simple would make the phone so much better
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12