Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I read Dieter's mega long review of the Pre, and at first I thought it was a typo when he said "GPS acquisition time is off the charts - it picks up satellites in under a minute for me, every time." I thought he must've meant "less than a second" because less than a minute isn't really impressive at all. But as I read further, Dieter mentioned 45 seconds as being a fast GPS signal acquisition. My iPhone gets a GPS signal in about 2 to 4 seconds, and my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx (which is using 4 year old technology) just took 42 seconds when I timed it today.

So does anyone have any information about the Pre's GPS, like what chipset it's using, whether it's assisted (it seems like it must not be, but I can't imagine why not), how accurate it can be, or any other info?

A few more questions about mapping: Does the Pre use Skyhook WiFi positioning and cell tower triangulation? I thought this was more a feature of Google Maps than a phone feature, so it seems like it would have it. Does the OS have hooks so if you click a link in the browser to something in Google Maps, does it open that link with the Maps app (like the iPhone does)?

The iPhone is a decent Geocaching device, but not as nice as I originally thought it would be when the 3G device was announced, and I'm still looking for that perfect Geocaching device.
    All I know is it got my position in about 2 seconds. It asked if me if I wanted to get more specific, but it was close enough.
    I believe it uses aGPS like most smart phones -- i.e. it uses cell triangulation to narrow it down and allow a faster fix on GPS satellites.

aGPS is sort of like GPS-plus as it has the benefits of both cell tower triangulation and satellite GPS. The Pre is faster than my past couple of smartphones when it comes to getting a fix.
    also if you have it off and then turn it on it will take longer. This is versus having it on all the time which will pull up your location if a few seconds.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I've seen a couple cases where it gets the rough location off the cell towers almost immediately, but then refines down to my real location inside of a minute. Granted, I was indoors when I tried this, and had to move the phone closer to the window to let it find the satellite.
    Have a question too:
    Will the pre work with Tom Tom or Garmin software?
    Mine picked up immediately. Less than 2 seconds.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    It sounds like it works as fast as the iPhone, but what's with the asking if you want to get more specific? The iPhone doesn't do that.

It seems like Palm or Google would say whether it's using Skyhook or not, so I'm thinking maybe it doesn't? Maybe a Pre user could put it in airplane mode with WiFi on and check if it can still get location information.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My Garmin Quest 2 takes 5 minutes to pick up a signal, so the Pre seems very fast to me.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    We have a Navigon which takes a good 45-120 seconds. My old Moto q9c took about 10 seconds. My pre takes about <5 depending if i'm inside or outside. It gets my rough location in about 1-2 seconds. Plenty fastIi think.
    The Pre uses both.. GPS and aGPS. And it takes my Pre less than 3 seconds every time.. The delay people are speaking of may be the time it takes to render the map.
    Mine locks almost instantly, even while indoors. It's much better than my TP.
  13. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I tried it the other day going home from work, just for the sake of it. It's really cool. Having said that, I have to say I have no prior comparison to make since I've never used a GPS device before.
    I have been getting quick locks too, except yesterday when traveling - for a short while it would not lock at all. later it went back to working just fine. Since I was en route to Omaha, I'll just blame the Cornhuskers.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Have a question too:
    Will the pre work with Tom Tom or Garmin software?
    Not until either company makes a webOS version of the software.
    Not sure why you would want it. The windows mobile version retails for around $100 bucks. Save the cash and use the Sprint Nav.

Note* I do not have a pre yet but I do use the Sprint Nav extensively on my wife's BB. Just waiting for my name to get called from a waiting list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    Not sure why you would want it. The windows mobile version retails for around $100 bucks. Save the cash and use the Sprint Nav.
    If you're going anywhere without Sprint coverage, you'd want it.

Plus if you're coming from a Treo where you've already bought the Garmin or TomTom receiver, maps and Palm OS software, you're hoping that the software will be ported over to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post

Plus if you're coming from a Treo where you've already bought the Garmin or TomTom receiver, maps and Palm OS software, you're hoping that the software will be ported over to WebOS.
    Exactly!
    ^I'm in the same boat with Garmin on my 755. But I wouldn't rush out to buy Garmin software for WebOS. SprintNAV (my first experience) on the Pre blew me away with acquisition speed and audible traffic info! My iphone buddies were very impressed.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post

True

In theory than couldn't you use the classic emulator and than throw your original version on the pre if you have it for classic.

Although I do understand the reasoning behind it. I will agree on needing when there is no sprint coverage. I do dislike the fact that the phone has to download the maps as it goes. It would be nice to have them on board so it is always a smooth navigation.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    True
    I do dislike the fact that the phone has to download the maps as it goes. It would be nice to have them on board so it is always a smooth navigation.
    I think EV-DO Rev A can handle transfering the maps on-the-fly just fine.

If you frequently go outside of the carrier's 3G coverage area, I think it would be better to just buy a standalone GPS unit rather than take up a big chunk of the Pre's non-expandable storage space with maps, which would just cost more to purchase. I think getting turn-by-turn navigation included in the Pre plan is one of its biggest selling points.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast