Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I wouldn't rush out to buy Garmin software for WebOS. SprintNAV (my first experience) on the Pre blew me away with acquisition speed and audible traffic info!
    Agreed if you have Sprint coverage, SprintNAV is probably the way to go. But what if you don't? (Remote areas, foreign countries, etc.)

Also I do some off-roading and hiking. One nice feature of Garmin's Mobile XT system is that I can load and use topo maps instead of street maps.

BTW Garmin's entire US and Canada map/POI database (City Navigator NT) takes up only 1 GB so wouldn't clog up your Pre.

Finally... in the past Garmin's business model has been to sell the GPS units and the map/POI databases. The software to make the 2 work together (Mobile XT for Palm, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.) has been free. It would be awesome if Garmin would port Mobile XT over to WebOS. Then you could use SprintNAV or Garmin's setup depending on where you are and what you want to do.

It would be almost equally awesome if Mobile XT would work in Classic mode but it seems like any elaborate program that uses a lot of different resources doesn't run in Classic so I'm not holding my breath.
    I actually needed to use mine today, I was driving out of my home area, missed an exit and decided to go to a store I knew a few miles away but didn't know the direct way there.
    I punched in the store's name and the address came up but the Pre couldn't hook up with the GPS to get me directions.
    Very frustrating, what's the point of having GPS if you can't use it in your CAR.
    Just to be clear, the GPS was on (I did it manually) but it wouldn't connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    Not until either company makes a webOS version of the software.
    Not sure why you would want it. The windows mobile version retails for around $100 bucks. Save the cash and use the Sprint Nav.

Note* I do not have a pre yet but I do use the Sprint Nav extensively on my wife's BB. Just waiting for my name to get called from a waiting list.
    well then you're in for a treat because I too used (tried to use) Sprint Navi on my blackberry curve, which I had to call in to activate (+$15 a month to my bill) and it was dreadfully sluggish and unusable and i finally just called and asked them to take it back off.

contrast to Sprint Navi on Pre and its silly fast - ten times better at least. i've used many navi's (factory stock in my car, Garmin, TomTom and Magellan external units, various smartphone navi's) and i'm most impressed by the Pre's Navi, only exception of Garmin's external units (the way they realtime updates the list of closest POI, i.e. gas stations or restaurants, is killer).

My girlfriend and I did a test - her with an Iphone and me with the Pre: to look up traffic for the freeways we were about to take. my pre rendered it in about 3 seconds after i hit go, while 25 seconds later her iphone's busy indicator was still spinning and finally it came up. my pre also rendered the maps quicker as we both zoomed out to see more freeways. no contest.

of all the things that could use improvement on the Pre (there are many), navi is not one of them.
    I noticed that while in Debug mode, the lat/long is shown. I walked around the house and it dynamically updated every few feet - like about 3-5 feet. So the GPS is pretty sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Agreed if you have Sprint coverage, SprintNAV is probably the way to go. But what if you don't? (Remote areas, foreign countries, etc.)

Also I do some off-roading and hiking. One nice feature of Garmin's Mobile XT system is that I can load and use topo maps instead of street maps.

BTW Garmin's entire US and Canada map/POI database (City Navigator NT) takes up only 1 GB so wouldn't clog up your Pre.

Finally... in the past Garmin's business model has been to sell the GPS units and the map/POI databases. The software to make the 2 work together (Mobile XT for Palm, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.) has been free. It would be awesome if Garmin would port Mobile XT over to WebOS. Then you could use SprintNAV or Garmin's setup depending on where you are and what you want to do.

It would be almost equally awesome if Mobile XT would work in Classic mode but it seems like any elaborate program that uses a lot of different resources doesn't run in Classic so I'm not holding my breath.
    I'd like to see Mobile XT on Web OS. Hopefully, it would still retain some of the MSN Direct features from the Nuvis.
    I tried using it again -- outdoors and it can't pick up a signal.
    What a joke, I'll stick with my Garmin.
    Maybe I should try a soft reset?
    ^yes a reset fixes this issue.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12