1.    #1  
    I'm eligible for my upgrade in July and have decided I want the Palm Pre over the Touch Pro 2, or waiting for the possible sprint android phone in the fall. Right now I'm confident that the app store will fill up with many of the same apps as the iphone or android but im concerned about the high rate of poorly built phones. Any estimate on how long it typically takes the a company to iron out the hardware problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    I'm eligible for my upgrade in July and have decided I want the Palm Pre over the Touch Pro 2, or waiting for the possible sprint android phone in the fall. Right now I'm confident that the app store will fill up with many of the same apps as the iphone or android but im concerned about the high rate of poorly built phones. Any estimate on how long it typically takes the a company to iron out the hardware problems?
    Well, in Palm's case, it's been since before the Treo 650 was released that Palm had decent manufacturing quality control (and the 600 had good quality because it was designed/released by Handspring). That was around 2005. So far there's nothing to indicate they've changed their ways yet.
    yeah, im wondering the same thing. If i should wait a month or so. I've been waiting to leave T-mobile for over a year now.
    I'm waiting to see not only better quality build, meaning no issues on purchase day, but also durability.

As these devices mature and take on more responsibilities previously assigned to PC and other dedicated gadgets, I've changed my view on design priorities.

Rather than being slender and elegant, though these are desirable, I expect durability, simply because the device will be used heavily throughout the day in various tasks. It's no longer just holding something to your ear.

My G1 gets tossed in my car when I listen to podcasts on my commute. It serves as a netbook in bed, I take it in my pocket in every sort of situations, some are rough like riding a motorcycle.

The G1 is not pretty, but it's like brick, has no dead pixels and there are no hints of things coming apart after months of heavy use. At this point we are waiting to just see phones that are not DOA, there's more these phones should stand up to. It's a shame Palm didn't have HTC build the devices.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I'm also concerned myself about quality..one of the things that has me stuck on the fence about making the jump.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I can only speak for myself in saying that the Pre build quality is pretty decent. It takes quite awhile before a new hardware revision comes out. Storm 2 is slated for almost 1 year later. In any case if you purchase the TEP insurance you can exchange the phone if you have any problems.
    It took Microsoft three and a half years to correct the heat issues with Xbox 360.
  8.    #8  
    so basically don't expect it until the pre 2 lol. that kind of sucks. Oh well, looks like i will see how things are in July when I'm eligible for my upgrade. I know the touch pro 2 will have great build quality. I have seen lots of HTC phones with it but I'm pretty sure i refuse to use windows mobile. That said the BB's for sprint arent for me. If i did get one I would want a Bold, which is not available for sprint. That leaves me to wait for an Android phone or hope for the best with the Pre and truth be told I still want the Pre.