Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I'm ay work now I will post in more dummy friendly way I took info from different fourms and searched online for commands and stuff.. Be warned I'm no pro just got lucky I guess,,,, so its all at your own risk I do love it
    Wahoo!!!

I went through the whole deal...install the driver, python, pulling the scripts from the subversion repository, getting the pre into dev mode, blah, blah...and got in as root, remounted the file system as writable, opened up the launcher JSJSJS $file$, $and$ $uncommented$ $those$ $sections$...$and$ $I$ $now$ $have$ $the$ $new$ $page$ $and$ $delete$ $page$ $options$ $in$ $the$ $launcher$ $menu$...$and$ $more$ $importantly$, $they$ $work$!

Interesting thing though - when you select new page, it creates a new blank page to the left of the page that you are on. Guess that I sort of expected them to go to the right. Oh well, whatever. I am pumped. I am now going to make an entire page of just frequently used contacts with their pictures. Sort of my own dial by photo.

Thanks for letting us know jack87! I'll be watching that dev site for more Pre goodness.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Oh, BTW, I also turned on call duration in the call log while I was in there.. Very nice. I had to drop in a real hack on my Treo to make that happen, but it's just a database change on the Pre.

That said, I was fairly careful running the SQL. The changes for the new and delete page functions are just in a JSJSJS $file$...$so$ $it$'$s$ $easy$ $enough$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $backup$ $of$ $that$ $file$ $first$...$but$ $running$ $SQL$ $statements$ $in$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $cookie$ $database$ $could$ $get$ $you$ $into$ $trouble$ $if$ $you$ $screw$ $that$ $up$. $That$ $said$, $no$ $worries$...$it$ $worked$ $great$ $and$ $now$ $I$ $see$ $call$ $duration$ $in$ $the$ $call$ $logs$...$measured$ $down$ $to$ $seconds$. $All$ $in$ $all$, $cool$ $stuff$. $Can$'$t$ $wait$ $until$ $folks$ $find$ $more$ $stuff$.

Also BTW, if you are in there, you might also want to change the visibility of the dev tool app so you don't have to keep entering the Konami code every time that you want to see it. That change is listed on this page:

pre dev wiki: Various webOS information

..and then it just shows up as another app in the launcher.

cheers,
    Steve
    Good find man
    So this is going to be in the next update?
    Lets hope so. It looks like it is completely implemented...and they just hid the menu entries and the menu selection handlers. No clue why they left it out. Perhaps they are trying to keep things simple at launch...or perhaps there is some weird defect in there somewhere that they haven't completely resolved yet. Not sure, but it seems to work great for me...so I expect we'll see it in an official release soon. It took forever for the iPhone to get this capability BTW.

The call duration thing is most likely never coming to Sprint. They don't like it...and normally have the vendor disable it. It's often available on a phone on another carrier and disabled on the exact same phone on Sprint. Most folks assume that Sprint just doesn't want to argue about durations with you. The phone may hit the start timer sooner or later than Sprint...and Sprint (like most carriers) rounds call durations up.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    not true. My Sprint Mogul had call duration so it's not a sprint thing, it's a palm pre thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    pre dev wiki: Hidden Features
    Thank you for the link!

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    not true. My Sprint Mogul had call duration so it's not a sprint thing, it's a palm pre thing.

They may not be able to disable it on all phones...or some vendors may not agree...but I had a Treo 650 on Verizon and it was enabled...and I traded it for a Treo 650 (same phone) on Sprint and it was disabled. Ditto the 700p. I had to hack both to get it re-enabled.

...and with a little hacking, you can get it back on the Pre too
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Oh, BTW, I also turned on call duration in the call log while I was in there.. Very nice. I had to drop in a real hack on my Treo to make that happen, but it's just a database change on the Pre.

That said, I was fairly careful running the SQL. The changes for the new and delete page functions are just in a JSJSJS $file$...$so$ $it$'$s$ $easy$ $enough$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $backup$ $of$ $that$ $file$ $first$...$but$ $running$ $SQL$ $statements$ $in$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $cookie$ $database$ $could$ $get$ $you$ $into$ $trouble$ $if$ $you$ $screw$ $that$ $up$. $That$ $said$, $no$ $worries$...$it$ $worked$ $great$ $and$ $now$ $I$ $see$ $call$ $duration$ $in$ $the$ $call$ $logs$...$measured$ $down$ $to$ $seconds$. $All$ $in$ $all$, $cool$ $stuff$. $Can$'$t$ $wait$ $until$ $folks$ $find$ $more$ $stuff$.

Also BTW, if you are in there, you might also want to change the visibility of the dev tool app so you don't have to keep entering the Konami code every time that you want to see it. That change is listed on this page:

pre dev wiki: Various webOS information

..and then it just shows up as another app in the launcher.

cheers,
    Steve
    I to edited those three things with dev tool call duration and well you saw pages glad you got it really don't feel like writing a tutorial being an amateur and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    If the listed types of actions, tools, and syntax don't look immediately familiar, then I strongly recommend not trying to do it. If you routinely administer Linux-based systems and hack around related file systems in telnet/SSH, then great, dive in and live with what happens...but if that's not you (and I suspect it's not based on what you say here), you should hold off and wait for someone to create a friendly utility that performs the actions for you. Root is not for the feint of heart...and it's not practical to document every possible step and exceptional flow here. Things will happen...and your prior related experience and knowledge is what will save you.

If you do decide to try it, well then, the steps on that wiki are fairly well laid out...and asking for more detail than what is already provided on the various pages of that site is a little much. Someone may do it for you, but not me.

..and that's what you are going to make if you are screwing around as root and don't know what you are doing.

$0.02

Well I am not a gifted programer or hacker, all this language is foriegn to me. So is there anything I can do? and if there is how? step by Step. your teaching a novice. Is there an offical pach I can't find it.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Holy thread resurrection Batman! Yes, there is an official patch in Preware for adding launcher pages. Just do a search for Preware if you are not familiar, there are install instructions. Once loaded, you will find this in the patches section.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpre View Post
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
    That's exactly what I was thinking before I got to your post!
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrd01 View Post
    Well I am not a gifted programer or hacker, all this language is foriegn to me. So is there anything I can do? and if there is how? step by Step. your teaching a novice. Is there an offical pach I can't find it.
    http://www.precentral.net/pre-how-to

Above are many articles on 'how-to...' for patches / preware / and all the alike.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Holy thread resurrection Batman! Yes, there is an official patch in Preware for adding launcher pages. Just do a search for Preware if you are not familiar, there are install instructions. Once loaded, you will find this in the patches section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking before I got to your post!

I am truly sorry to you ryanPre, Grabber5.0 and all of you who this has affended. I am new to the forum and I know it seems very elementary to you when questions like this are asked. I dont even know where to go so I can conduct this search for "preware" and once I have found it you say there are install instructions, are these step by step?
    I can only guess that you must be very talented according to the amount of posts you have made but as you can see I have not even posted 5 yet. Thats how new I am. Should I stay out of the Forum until I am more skilled? and if so where can I go?

ps-MLJones8 the link was neat but If its there I could not find out how to install it.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    By no means should you leave the forum if you have an interest in making your WebOS device more functional. I apologize if I came off harsh, I was just trying to present the relevant information to get you going in the right direction. The key here is, if you are new to all this, you gotta read, read, read, and then read some more. There is no shortage of info out there. There is step-by-step, screenshots, walk-thrus, you name it. The link below is the best place to get started I think, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrd01 View Post
    I am truly sorry to you ryanPre, Grabber5.0 and all of you who this has affended. I am new to the forum and I know it seems very elementary to you when questions like this are asked. I dont even know where to go so I can conduct this search for "preware" and once I have found it you say there are install instructions, are these step by step?
    I can only guess that you must be very talented according to the amount of posts you have made but as you can see I have not even posted 5 yet. Thats how new I am. Should I stay out of the Forum until I am more skilled? and if so where can I go?

ps-MLJones8 the link was neat but If its there I could not find out how to install it.
    Yes as ryanPre stated you can also start here: http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

Once you have Preware on your phone go to:

Available Packages >>> Patch >>> App Launcher >>> Enable Add/Delete Pages. Install and you're done.

I hope this helps.
    wow talk about thread resurrection lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    wow talk about thread resurrection lol
    I didn't realize how old this thread was as I was reading the first page. I was so confused lol.... I remember this thread now, it was about when I first got my Pre and signed up on the forums. We've came so far since then...
    By no means should you leave the forum if you have an interest in making your WebOS device more functional. I apologize if I came off harsh, I was just trying to present the relevant information to get you going in the right direction. The key here is, if you are new to all this, you gotta read, read, read, and then read some more. There is no shortage of info out there. There is step-by-step, screenshots, walk-thrus, you name it. The link below is the best place to get started I think, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Thank You very, very much. You have know idea how much I want to learn in this forum, I will take your advice and read even more, I didn't know about the plethora of info out there. Just so you know I have had this Palm Pre for less than 4 months and another Pre owner told me to go to the forum if I have a question. This happened last week. I was told about this site if you want go to get the apps only. That the rest of it was junk or as I was told when I purchased the Pre.
    I was a blackberry owner for a long time and was finally convinced Palm is the way to go but just wait for the Pre. Thanks to you & everybody that is kind enough to help.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast