Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I joined my phone to a WiFi network today and did some network sniffing. I found out that the Pre does not use the WiFi network for AOL IM and Google Chat. The traffic was still going out over EVDO even though the Wifi signal strength meter was full.

    I have a theory as to why this is the case; it's so that your phone isn't constantly getting kicked off AIM and Google Chat as you move in and out of WiFi networks. However, it would be nice to be able to override this manually; for example if you know you're going to be at a location with WiFi for a few hours, using it for AIM and Gchat would really save on battery power.

    I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing this out because some of you might find it interesting.
  2. #2  
    I'm still new to my PRE, but I believe you could put your phone to "airplane mode" and still have the WiFi activated. This then forces the phone to not use the EVDO and only the WiFi. The issue is you would not be able to receive phone calls (I think).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OppressioN View Post
    I'm still new to my PRE, but I believe you could put your phone to "airplane mode" and still have the WiFi activated. This then forces the phone to not use the EVDO and only the WiFi. The issue is you would not be able to receive phone calls (I think).
    If Airplane mode is going to be useful it has to turn off all RF transceivers to comply with FAA regulations. No cel, no Wifi, no bluetooth, no GPS. That's the whole point of Airplane mode; letting you keep using the phone while allowing you to prove to a flight attendant that you're not putting out a few watts of RF.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    If Airplane mode is going to be useful it has to turn off all RF transceivers to comply with FAA regulations. No cel, no Wifi, no bluetooth, no GPS. That's the whole point of Airplane mode; letting you keep using the phone while allowing you to prove to a flight attendant that you're not putting out a few watts of RF.
    That's not true. Airplanes have wifi on them these days.

    Airlines With WiFi Service - Portfolio.com

    ...and I just turned on airplane mode, and then enabled wifi, and can use AIM and Google Talk, so at least in that situation, it does use the wifi.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I joined my phone to a WiFi network today and did some network sniffing. I found out that the Pre does not use the WiFi network for AOL IM and Google Chat. The traffic was still going out over EVDO even though the Wifi signal strength meter was full.

    I have a theory as to why this is the case; it's so that your phone isn't constantly getting kicked off AIM and Google Chat as you move in and out of WiFi networks. However, it would be nice to be able to override this manually; for example if you know you're going to be at a location with WiFi for a few hours, using it for AIM and Gchat would really save on battery power.

    I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing this out because some of you might find it interesting.
    Interesting thought, but I think one of the problems is that your wifi connection breaks every time your phone goes into standby. Check your wifi signal in the upper right each time you unlock the phone, and you'll see that the wifi has to reconnect.
  6. #6  
    im not to sure that thats really the case, last night I got a few IM's while I was on the phone.
  7. mrizky's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #7  
    Wifi shuts down when the device turns off. It would constantly be logging in and out of AIM/Gtalk if it connected over wifi. However, the airplaine mode trick will force it to go over wifi.
  8. #8  
    I have been in Europe the past week and have used IM fine over wifi. The phone is quite usable over wifi with everything but calls and telenav.
  9.    #9  
    When there's no cel coverage the phone will probably use WiFi for IM, since there's no other choice.

    I did some more digging and found that the E-mail application will also always use EVDO even if WiFi is available. This is probably so that IDLE mode will work correctly, since it has to leave a TCP socket open to the server and WiFi goes down when the phone is asleep.
  10. jsabo's Avatar
    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    When there's no cel coverage the phone will probably use WiFi for IM, since there's no other choice.

    I did some more digging and found that the E-mail application will also always use EVDO even if WiFi is available. This is probably so that IDLE mode will work correctly, since it has to leave a TCP socket open to the server and WiFi goes down when the phone is asleep.
    That's sort of weird-- my mail server is on the same network as wifi router. When the Pre is also using that wifi, I can *get* messages, but I can't *send* them. I have to turn off wifi to send, then can turn it back on again.

    It sounds like some apps default to the network that's available to them when they start, and don't switch interfaces when wifi becomes available, unless they're opening a new socket (ie, sending an email).

Posting Permissions