1.    #1  
    I noticed that my signal strength frequently jumps between no or 1 bar and 5 bars when I'm sitting at work. I was wondering why this was going on, so I decided to find out what towers I was associating with.

I turned off GPS and launched Google Maps, letting it use only the tower ID to display my location. Yep, when it was at 5 bars it was associated with a tower north of me that's somewhat nearby, and at 1 bar it was associated with a farther away tower to the south.

I'm wondering if this is a firmware issue; shouldn't the phone stay associated with the strongest signal and not jump back and forth between cells like this? I'm wondering if this behavior is causing the reduced standby battery life some of us have been experiencing.
    It depends on the bandwidth remaining on a tower. If a lot of people are hammering the tower closest to you when you aren't using it, the closer tower will get dropped for the more distant tower.

Also, are either of those towers roaming towers? Sprint will favor a weak Sprint-owned tower over a much stronger roaming partner tower.
    I get the same thing. The pre seems to jump tower quite a bit. Interestingly, it seems I get better signal on the tower that is farther away from me.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It depends on the bandwidth remaining on a tower. If a lot of people are hammering the tower closest to you when you aren't using it, the closer tower will get dropped for the more distant tower.

Also, are either of those towers roaming towers? Sprint will favor a weak Sprint-owned tower over a much stronger roaming partner tower.
    Both are Sprint towers. There is also a roaming tower but that one doesn't trigger the dot to move in Google Maps. Maybe Sprint and their roaming partner are on the same tower.

Your theory makes some sense. The strong signal tower is directly in the center of the university campus I work on. There's a high density of people here, even in the summer, so maybe the load is unusually high.
    the network will hand you off to another nearby site for any number of reasons.......it's normal.
    It is normal, but when it happens excessively or at the wrong times it can cause battery drain and unreliable calls.

I think that the Pre needs some fine tuning in this area.