1.    #1  
    I've been very disappointed with the pre's battery life. It hasn't been getting me through an entire day really.

Imagine my surprise this mornign then, when i realized i left my phone unplugged and the alarm woke me up!

I pulled it out of my pants pocket from the ground and saw that while it was in the red it was still alive and kicking. I'd left it on with wifi all night too.

Yesterday i used it quite a bit too. Not only my regular usage, but i went to dinner with a few friends and the phone was passed around A LOT for everyone to play with. I also ran all the diagnostic (quick and interactive) tests which i would assume uses some battery since they leave the screen on, etc.

Maybe the whole conditioning the battery thing isn't all B.S.
    Well, good! I have been topping off my battery as much as possible, so I haven't done a good test. Although yesterday evening, it was done to 23%.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
  3.    #3  
    oh...also....and this is funny.

during the tests i found that i've opened my keyboard over 800 times already!!!!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    At first it lasted 5 hours due to hotmail. After removing hotmail it lasted me 10-12 hours with wifi off, gmail instant receive, background and gps on. Today I left the wifi on, set gmail to check every 15 min and background apps /gps on. So far the battery has significantly improved then the previous 2 setting. Now in the 70% since 6:00 am. Freakin sweet! can't wait for ioncell extended battery from seidoonline.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Same here. My first two days were 5 hours and 4 hours respectively on a full charge. The phone was running extremely hot. It wound up depleting completely twice. It also froze up upon recharging and I had to remove the battery both times to get it going again. I then removed my Hotmail account and shut off Background Data Collection and since then my phone has turned into Super-Phone! I'm getting 24+ hours no problemo.

Ironically, I think depleting the battery twice and removing it twice conditioned it perfectly for the extreme life I'm seeing now. It was all done by accident, but I think in the end it was just what the phone/battery needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
    Maybe the whole conditioning the battery thing isn't all B.S.
    Except that it is - one full cycle is enough to calibrate a lithium-based battery for the next 30 cycles. But now you have another, unnecessary cycle on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    Same here. My first two days were 5 hours and 4 hours respectively on a full charge. The phone was running extremely hot. It wound up depleting completely twice. It also froze up upon recharging and I had to remove the battery both times to get it going again. I then removed my Hotmail account and shut off Background Data Collection and since then my phone has turned into Super-Phone! I'm getting 24+ hours no problemo.

Ironically, I think depleting the battery twice and removing it twice conditioned it perfectly for the extreme life I'm seeing now. It was all done by accident, but I think in the end it was just what the phone/battery needed.
    This is almost exactly what happened to me. I ran my battery down all the way, then it locked up while trying to charge so I had to remove the battery. Next day, 14 hours with fair amount of usage. I am a happy camper!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'm so geeked. My Seido battery is on its way now. But at first i let my battery completely die when i got it from the store and I had to remove the battery in order to get it back up & running again. Then I let it charge overnight. But I was still only getting 5-6 hours. Until...I put my hotmail on manual retrieve. Yesterday I got 10 hours before i put it on the charger, and it still had juice left, but i charged to 85%during my ride home and it lasted all night long. 12 hours later (after i took it off the car charger from my ride home from work ) when I awakened I still had 40 something%. And I was on the thing all day.

PS. Even with my hotmail on manual, it still comes through every couple of hours. There is truly a bug in it.
  9.    #9  
    I think a big thing for my battery issues the first day was Gtalk, i was signed in all day and even though i didnt recieve any messages I think it was draining the battery.
    Day 6 and my battery life has been pretty consistent.

It will not last 24 hours for sure. I charge mine during the night and by 4-5pm it is down around 20%...

WiFi on, Gmail push and sync two other email accounts hourly. Moderate application usage (at best).
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
    I pulled it out of my pants pocket from the ground and saw that while it was in the red it was still alive and kicking. I'd left it on with wifi all night too.
    LOL. I love it!
    Mine lasted 20 hours . I'm so happy! I sent a lot of text messages, made a few calls, browsed the web, and played some Pandora. I decided not to add my hotmail account since that has been known to drain the battery. I'll just check it through the browser. Overall, I am finally happy with my Pre.
    People saying "It lasted me 24 hours" is one of the worst basis for comparison ever. That's just how much time had elapsed before you needed to charge it. What was your actual USAGE time?

Does the Pre have an energy usage timer like the iPhone so you can see how much battery life your getting in comparison to other people? The iPhone (I'm not comparing the Pre to the iPhone, just giving an example) has a screen that shows usage time and standby time and if the phone has been plugged in from last full charge. If the Pre has this it would be infinitely more useful than someone saying how long it's been since they plugged it in. It almost seemed to me that the OP was happy that his phone lasted an 8 hour night in near-standby mode (Wi-Fi was on). That should take up like 4% of the battery...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    People saying "It lasted me 24 hours" is one of the worst basis for comparison ever. That's just how much time had elapsed before you needed to charge it. What was your actual USAGE time?

Does the Pre have an energy usage timer like the iPhone so you can see how much battery life your getting in comparison to other people? The iPhone (I'm not comparing the Pre to the iPhone, just giving an example) has a screen that shows usage time and standby time and if the phone has been plugged in from last full charge. If the Pre has this it would be infinitely more useful than someone saying how long it's been since they plugged it in. It almost seemed to me that the OP was happy that his phone lasted an 8 hour night in near-standby mode (Wi-Fi was on). That should take up like 4% of the battery...
    I think if you would have read my whole post you would have seen that I'd used the phone a LOT that day i forgot to turn it on. that was what was so surprising about it.
    I read your whole post...

My point was whatever percentage your battery was at, it shouldn't have gone down that much to standby for 8 hours. Like 5%, right?
    since the 3rd day my battery has been great. I use wifi when I'm home and have my e-mail set to as received.(i did dump hotmail and im apps only cause i never use them anyway) I've been really impressed, but I have noticed that the signal strength does fluctuate and it sucks my battery life when it does. Use Wifi as much as possible, and close apps that you are not using. Also when ever using pandora and telenav make sure you have a car charger and start with more than 60% battery life....Using those two apps with out wifi seems to net a drain of battery even while charging....
  17.    #17  
    Yes, that is correct.....assuming normal battery usage. the reason it made me happy is that the pre did not feel like "normal" battery usage. the battery just drained. As i said, i think turning of Gtalk did the trick and the fact that it DIDNT die was really good, precisely because it was normal, and unlike its behavior over the first few days i had the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Except that it is - one full cycle is enough to calibrate a lithium-based battery for the next 30 cycles. But now you have another, unnecessary cycle on your phone.
    Umm, the back of the package for my new designed for the Pre Seidio extended battery says
    "Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges."
    While I'm sure you believe you know more about batteries than the manufacturer because you got your G.E.D. I hope you don't mind if I believe them instead of your B.S.