Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for starting a whole thread, but the "How to" thread is still on lock and this isn't really an "Easter egg" so I didn't want to use that thread.

If you're on a computer and make your mouse cursor hover over the "Forums" link at PreCentral.net (not the same as the "Forum" link above this forum), a drop-down list appears allowing you to click on a one of those newly-revealed options (like "Today's Posts," the "Palm Pre Forum," etc.).

When on a Pre, one might wonder how to "hover" effectively. What you can do is put your finger on the "Forums" link, but HOLD it for a second or two. When you let go, the drop-down list should appear. If not, try again, holding a little longer. Then you can click on your preferred option from the drop-down list.

If you simply click on "Forums" the same thing happens that does if you do so from a pc. You get sent to the main forums page, instead of any of the subforums, new posts, or whatever.

I hope this helps you Pre owners out there.

EDIT: The following seems a better technique than the above. Check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by emusician View Post
    I tried the holding suggestion but it didn't work. I noticed though that the drop down menu (on precentrals home page where menu bar is at top with dropdown menus) works by doing a quick double tap. It zooms out the page, but with the desired drop down menu visible
    Thanks, emusician!
    Last edited by west3man; 08/14/2009 at 10:54 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Hey. Thanks a lot!
    Awesome heads up my friend! Thanks!
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    sweet! thank you! i didnnt think it was possible.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Awesome. I was just wondering if there was a way to do this yesterday.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    nice find! i was trying to figure out a way to "hover" with my finger
  7.    #7  
    Glad to help.

The Pre's web browsing is so fast that I wasn't sure if anyone would care about saving a few extra clicks, this way, but if I were the one trying to get used to the Pre's new and different user interface, I'd wanna know about something like this.

Please spread the word. Communities like these are the main reason that many of us not only try out Palm smartphones, but stick with them.
    when i release my finger after a few solid seconds, the drop down menu appears for a split second before the browser redirects to the link i was hovering over. am i missing something?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    when i release my finger after a few solid seconds, the drop down menu appears for a split second before the browser redirects to the link i was hovering over. am i missing something?
    Maybe try a couple of seconds, instead of a few? Maybe lift your finger directly off instead of a loose, drag-n-lift?

Without seeing your technique, it's hard to score it.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Try just hitting the down arrow next to each menu option. That's what I do and I have all the time in the world (or so i think) to hit whatever drop down option I want.
  11.    #11  
    Nice. Thanks, E. I'll have to try that out the next time I get to demo the Pre.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Try just hitting the down arrow next to each menu option. That's what I do and I have all the time in the world (or so i think) to hit whatever drop down option I want.
    I'm typing on a demo Pre right now.

There is no drop-down menu arrow next to "Forum." If there were though, your way sounds good.

On an unrelated note: One downside, is that you can't "select all." It'd be a real pain doing it manually.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    On an unrelated note: One downside, is that you can't "select all." It'd be a real pain doing it manually.
    A Sprint store manager just showed me how to accomplish "Select All" with existing gestures. There's no "Select All" command, but at least there's a fairly quick way to approximate one.

It's pretty obvious, actually, but I think I'd been using some of their malfunctioning demo units before and EVERY way I tried to select text or move around was frustrating.

I'm starting to feel like it's a matter of adjustment on my part, at this point, that'll enable me to function with a Pre. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting there.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Maybe try a couple of seconds, instead of a few? Maybe lift your finger directly off instead of a loose, drag-n-lift?

Without seeing your technique, it's hard to score it.
    I had the same issue trying it at first, hover then letting go immediately redirected too. So what I did was zoom into the forum link and leave some white space at the top. Do the hover click, then after releasing, immediately tap in an area with no link, and the jsjsjs $menu$ $should$ $show$ $without$ $redirecting$.

Yes, you have to be very quick with the whitespace tap

or...

hover click with the index, release and quickly use your thumb or another finger to tap stop
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    I had the same issue trying it at first, hover then letting go immediately redirected too. So what I did was zoom into the forum link and leave some white space at the top. Do the hover click, then after releasing, immediately tap in an area with no link, and the jsjsjs $menu$ $should$ $show$ $without$ $redirecting$.

Yes, you have to be very quick with the whitespace tap
    I never had to go through that much but I appreciate the alternate technique.
    This isnt working at all for me on this site.... eastthunderhawks.com Can anyone try it out and see if you can get it working? Also, what was the gesture for select all?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k12 View Post
    This isnt working at all for me on this site.... eastthunderhawks.com Can anyone try it out and see if you can get it working?
    I tried it on the "fans" drop-down and it worked fine from my pc and from my Pre. The key is not to hold it too long, I think. I a second just about does it.

Also, what was the gesture for select all?
    I don't know that there is a simple gesture for this. I just go to one end, hold shift, then quickly swipe until I get to the other end (up and down, not left and right).
    Okay, it worked for me on the "fans" section, but its still not working on the Spring Sports section. I'm sorry, but if you have a moment, can you try that? And thanks for the hint on select all.
  19.    #19  
    Okay, it worked for me on the "fans" section, but its still not working on the Spring Sports section. I'm sorry, but if you have a moment, can you try that? And thanks for the hint on select all.
    I couldn't make the Spring Sports secton drop-down work on the Pre, either.
    Thats really weird....I wonder why that doesn't work? Thanks for the help though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast