View Poll Results: The center button usage

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am using it all the time , the current functionality is great.

103 36.52%
  • Nope, I am not using it much , it is redundant, instead I am using swipes.

179 63.48%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Notification lights and wake from sleep aside, personally I would like the button to switch apps while in full screen.

The entire multitasking thing is slowed down and made cumbersome imho when one must either do an advanced gesture (say 5 times) to switch apps, or slide up from gesture area to reduce apps, then flick one by one (again say 5 times) to the next desired app.

The button method, when compared to the iPhone (which of course needs the home button to change, make that close and open another app), would highlight the difference directly and also highlight the Pre's superiority in this area. Also, when in full screen, the apps name is displayed in the top left corner. In card view the apps lose their identity and it can get confusing.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/15/2009 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Notification lights and wake from sleep aside, personally I would like the button to switch apps while in full screen.

The entire multitasking thing is slowed down and made cumbersome imho when one must either do an advanced gesture (say 5 times) to switch apps, or slide up from gesture area to reduce apps, then flick one by one (again say 5 times) to the next app.

The button method, when compared to the iPhone (which of course needs the home button to change, make that close and open another app), would highlight the difference directly and show the Pre's superiority in this area. Also, when in full screen, the apps name is displayed in the top left corner. In card view the apps lose their identity and it can get confusing.
    Never thought about that, but that would be great. Some good coding would be necessary for it though
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I say get rid of the physical button and put a touchscreen button under the screen it will make that surface of the phone stronger(way less of a chance for the cracking screen issue). Less of a chance for water to seep through. Also you can still do the notifications light up thing with or without it anyway since there are two lights in the gesture area anyway. I am sure programs will figure out uses for that button. I think they just put a button just cause lol. Once I learned to swipe up quickly to go to card view I havent touched my button since. Its less effort now I dont have to apply pressure when my phone is on my touchstone or in my car sitting on my armrest.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    ive never pressed that button.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Swipe up from top to bottom.
    WTF? How does that make sense?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    After using for over a month, there really is never a NEED for the button, merely an option and one that kinda takes away from the natural feel of gesture navigation.
    I can't imagine a phone now not having gestures and it makes the Iphone navigation feel cumbersome and constrained/unnatural.

Also, rather than tapping it, I discovered you can Drag down any app to the bottom of the screen and this will maximize it.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The button is redundant for an expert user.
    I knew few newbies to the smartphone world using it.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
    I used it once just to see how it felt, and one more time by accident. I think the phone would have been better without it, or if they kept it, make it do something more useful.

It would be REALLY nice to have it able to be set to whatever function you want, i.e. setting it to bring up the camera app, or to bring up the connection prefs so you dont have to hit the top right corner, etc.
    +1

as well as having it light up, flash, something when the phone is fully charged, new msg (but screen stays off), etc etc etc....

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    i would love it if the button could be used to hang up a phone call. no more waiting for the UI to see if i hit the end call button appropriately or need to hit it again. One click to the hard button while in a phone call, the call hangs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I thought the only way to minimize and go to card view was the center button also. Tried the "swipe up" and works the same. Thanks for the info!
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Charging indicator
    Displaying message alerts are a must.
    Folks in the dev forum figured out to enable LED blinking.
    The issue is the thing ( blinking) goes on for too long.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Also , I confused this button with the top speaker, and held the phone upside down many times.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Use it for voice commands after they are added via software. On, then hold button while speaking.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Swipe up from top to bottom.

Glad I wasnt the only one scratching my head from that post.
    I use it religiously to go yo card mode. Why? Someone alluded to one reason. It's easy to find with your finger while driving. Another simple reason is the same reason why many prefer real qwerty keyboards; real, tactile buttons are quite reassuring subconsciously and quicker physically.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I am not sure how the swipe from top to bottom works ?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I use it a bit, but whenever I do, I make note of its limited purpose and the other redundant ways to get the same result. I still like going to card view instead of sliding between apps because it's a bit more eye-candy to see the slickness of card veiw.

I'd like them to: Add double tap, and press-and-hold. When the camera is in full screen, I'd like the button to snap the pic. When video recording comes, I'd like it to start and stop the record, and while recording, button could light up. For indicators, there are three lights down there so: (left)messages email and txt, (center) voicemail, (right) appointment, why not use all three lights down there, one light per grouping. Press-and-hold for voice dial when in card view or dialer app...perfect future use.
    It would be nice if it served as an optional track/select ball like BB has, I miss the navigation Pad on the Treo wish the center button had more function like the track pad of the treo
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    First get rid of the cards view feature from this button.
    Then adding the following would make it a better phone in terms of getting things done quick .

Charging indicator
    Message indicator
    Press and hold for Voice control
    Dial numbers while on the Phone app.
    Hang up while using the phone all
    Take pictures while on camera app
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I now understand what he meant, although he explained badly.

When you have your card/app maximized, what you do is put your thumb on the center itself and swipe up minimally. This will allow you to minimize the card/app. If you do it again, you can bring up the launcher itself. Do it again, and it goes away.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast