View Poll Results: The center button usage

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am using it all the time , the current functionality is great.

103 36.52%
  • Nope, I am not using it much , it is redundant, instead I am using swipes.

179 63.48%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    Glowing to signal alerts seems about the only useful thing as the button press in the pocket could be problematic if it can turn on/launch anything. If that's the case though either of the LED's in the gesture area could be used for notification as well.
    Hopefully Palm has something in mind that I can't think of right now, for the past several days I've been thinking the button is a useless bump.
    I strongly believe that they will emulate the BB functionality with colored signal. I am not sure the hardware ( the LED light in the phone ) supports the color?.

But that would be the best option.

Plus , lack of indicator while charging the device is something they need to address.
    These sound like probable ideas that may be implemented, but all they require is the area for light and not the button itself.
    Maybe the button itself could be useful if it is used as a selectabe program launcher when the phone is already awake, and I guess other have said this in this thread.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It's a visual clue to me to tell me I'm holding the phone upside down. That's about it.

I think it would be cool to make it a light-up roller ball. Now we're talking.

Right now it's a finger delimiter for going back a page in an app rather than switching apps.
    I typically do not use the button, however I have started to get in the habit of using it when I want to start applications in rapid succession from the launcher. I would do this by launching the first app, and as its card is being drawn up, immediately press the button to go into card view. Without moving my thumb away from the button, I then slide my thumb to the gesture area right above the button and swipe into the screen to bring up the launcher again for the next app to start. It's like a 1-2 combo command in a way.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    current functionality is fine , but definitely the button can do more. Charging indicator is a must.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I started using the button lately, I like it.
    I used the center button until I saw the threads about the Pre screen cracking.
    I mainly use the button to go to card view and when I want to do a search. But I use the full swipe to change between open apps in full view. I find it better and faster to do that than flick up. I also use the wave launcher.

I want to advocate that to move the cursor, you should be able to press and hold the button, and simultaneously swipe over left or right (with the other hand) to move the cursor over one character at a time. I can usually place the cursor one to two characters away and this would be immensely helpful. Then you can hold the button and drag your finger to select the text. Palm, make it happen!

Oh...I would like the button to turn on the device if they incorporate a press + drag right or left into the gesture area to activate the device. I also want a pattern unlock like Android's. It doesnt have to be a 3 x 3 grid...maybe a 2 x 2 that incorporates a diagonal drag to increase combination possibilities. Again, Palm, make it happen!
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Swipe up while in an app. Swipe up again to bring up the launcher. Swipe a third time to dismiss the launcher. Click on a card in card view to maximize it.

I never hit the center button...or for that matter, use the launcher icon on the "wave" bar.
    Thats what I'm talking about. Make it a D-pad. Trying to back space and move the cursor is a joke.
    i use it all the time would prefer a trackball though.
    I think it should work like this:

Notification: Center button blinks. Clicking on blinking button brings up app that is giving you the the notification.

Other two lights are user-customizable. So, for me, I'd want the left to be work email and the right to be personal email.

Double-click center button to launch app of your choice (camera!)
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Guys why don't you all take your five minutes time and fill the following

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Its a serious democratic way. If you can't express your ideas , PALM cannot do anything.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    BTW
    I did post two features already.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I think it is brilliant to ask folks about what they want.
  15. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    being a tech and having access to pre's without worry of breaking something im going to take mine apart and sand down the damn button so its smooth with the rest of the phone..because in the week iv owned it i might of used it 3 times and its just a waste of space
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I like the wave...but what I was saying is that I never use the launcher icon on it (the right-most icon). I bring the launcher up with a gesture...and wish that I could replace the launcher icon on the "wave" bar with a different one for an app that I use frequently.
    I didn't use the launcher icon that often, until I started getting into the habit of using the launcher icon while an app was maximized to open a second app. I can then using the 'advanced gestures' to switch apps while maximized. It's often faster than "swipe up to minimize, swipe up again to bring up the launcher, and then click the second app".
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    being a tech and having access to pre's without worry of breaking something im going to take mine apart and sand down the damn button so its smooth with the rest of the phone..because in the week iv owned it i might of used it 3 times and its just a waste of space
    I hope you don't do that .
    its good looking.

But no use.
    It is a serious missed opportunity for Palm. A lighted scroll wheel that could be pressed would have been quite cheap to implement. It was probably "someone's" EGO that got in the way of taking this idea from RIM (can't believe there's a patent). They will do it in v2, but wouldn't have added much cost to this version.
    Double tap could be one function
    Hold down for 2 seconds could be another function
    Heck, maybe even throw in a triple tap for advanced users (like, all of us on the forums)?

There is a lot that can be done with the button on the SOFTWARE side, along with light notification. The screen doesn't have to turn on, and the LED lights behind the gesture area and button are low on power consumption.

Double, triple and hold taps on the center button. That's three more things the button can do, and this is coming after only using the phone for 2 weeks!

C'mon Palm R&D, listen to us! We are your friends.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I hope they will add something to this button in the next update.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast