View Poll Results: The center button usage

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am using it all the time , the current functionality is great.

103 36.52%
  • Nope, I am not using it much , it is redundant, instead I am using swipes.

179 63.48%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    As an ex iPhone user, I completely agree. Basic usability studies would reveal most users will try to wake the Pre using the center button. Even if they had not ever seen/used an iPhone. It just makes sense.

The wake button on the top is a horrible design. Palm, update the F/W to allow the center button to wake the device (and then swipe to unlock).

How this didn't get implemented to begin with is beyond me.
    completely disagree. If center button woke the device it would be waking in my pocket all day long.

Might make sense if it was a more passive button - like on tros where it isn't more pronounced than other buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    I think you can't use universal search when you're in a particular app, but only in card view.
    So? You can flick up from gestures to get to card view. That's why people aren't using the button.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    if only it were a trackball, i would not have any qualms with this phone that couldn't be fixed via software updates... i'm dying for a hardware method to move the cursor around properly
    ding ding ding. We have a winner.
    I like pressing the button, then doing a flick up to exit an app. I've done the back swipe a few times, but for me it's far quicker to press the button, flick up, then press the power button and be done.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    There seems to be a lot of redundancy in the phone right now.

swipe up = button press
    swipe up in card view = launcher button on right of quick launch
    wave menu = quick launch menu

Would be nice of some of this redundancy would be replaced with easier ways to jump to apps other than the 4 you can put in quick launch.
    Hoping to see it in the future.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I just like to touch it. Sometimes I flick it too... when I'm feeling naughty.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I use it more than I should probably. sometimes I find it quicker to do it if switching between apps.
    For switching between apps, I turned on "Switch Applications" (Settings > Screen And Lock > Advanced Gestures). So when you're in an app, you can do a full swipe of your finger all the way from the left of the phone to the right in the gesture area (or a full right to left) and it switches between apps while they're still maximized. That's helpful if you don't want to go into cards view and switch.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Coming from my iPod Touch, I really only press it mistakenly to turn it on - beyond that, I've become 100% ingrained on using the swipe-up to go to card view. My dad still doesn't have the whole gesture thing down yet, so he probably uses the button.

I really hope we see the option to turn the center button light on for notifications in 1.1 or so...
    barely ever use swipe up gesture I'm all about center button then launcher button.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I find occasionally that an app will not go back to card view with the Back Gesture, and the only way to exit is to use the center button and then flick it off the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGator View Post
    completely disagree. If center button woke the device it would be waking in my pocket all day long.

Might make sense if it was a more passive button - like on tros where it isn't more pronounced than other buttons.
    I see your point of view. That said, Palm shoukd have made it recessed. This would have permitted more flexibility with the center button (ala press to wake).
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the light glow will be used for notifications in future
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    or it would be brilliant to make it a ball like blackberry with a press
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Isn't it only used to minimize the cards so you can change them? Is there a gesture to do the same think the button does?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
    I find occasionally that an app will not go back to card view with the Back Gesture, and the only way to exit is to use the center button and then flick it off the screen.
    The back gesture is a lousy way to get into card view. Flick up from the gesture area up onto the display to bring up card view anytime. The vertical swipe is much easier than the horizontal back gesture, and it works no matter what program you are in.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    I'm scared to use it b/c of the cracked screen posts.

Palm, remove it in your rev.B model. It's useless.
    +1
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
    I used it once just to see how it felt, and one more time by accident...........................
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I just like to touch it. Sometimes I flick it too... when I'm feeling naughty.
    Time to get off the biker forums
    Glowing to signal alerts seems about the only useful thing as the button press in the pocket could be problematic if it can turn on/launch anything. If that's the case though either of the LED's in the gesture area could be used for notification as well.
    Hopefully Palm has something in mind that I can't think of right now, for the past several days I've been thinking the button is a useless bump.
    When I first read this thread, I thought everyone was crazy because I was happily using the center button (that first day). Now that I have had the phone for a week, I only use the swipe up from the gesture area to the screen to exit apps. Until I saw this thread pop back up, I almost forgot the button was there.
    Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 700p, Treo 755, Palm Pre
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast