View Poll Results: The center button usage

Voters
282. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am using it all the time , the current functionality is great.

    103 36.52%
  • Nope, I am not using it much , it is redundant, instead I am using swipes.

    179 63.48%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 108
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGator View Post
    Huh?
    I think you can't use universal search when you're in a particular app, but only in card view.
  2. #22  
    I used it once just to see how it felt, and one more time by accident. I think the phone would have been better without it, or if they kept it, make it do something more useful.

    It would be REALLY nice to have it able to be set to whatever function you want, i.e. setting it to bring up the camera app, or to bring up the connection prefs so you dont have to hit the top right corner, etc.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Whenever I demo the Pre, I use the button to go to card-view. I'm not even sure how else to get to card view.
    Swipe up while in an app. Swipe up again to bring up the launcher. Swipe a third time to dismiss the launcher. Click on a card in card view to maximize it.


    I never hit the center button...or for that matter, use the launcher icon on the "wave" bar.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Swipe up from top to bottom.
    Ahh, yes. The gesture change they made.

    I prefer a quick button press to a full gesture. Thanks for the info, btw.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    I use it but, coming from the iPhone, I keep trying to wake it up with the center button and keep forgetting I have to use the button on top.

    That's the only functionality I'd like added to it, wake the phone.
    As an ex iPhone user, I completely agree. Basic usability studies would reveal most users will try to wake the Pre using the center button. Even if they had not ever seen/used an iPhone. It just makes sense.

    The wake button on the top is a horrible design. Palm, update the F/W to allow the center button to wake the device (and then swipe to unlock).

    How this didn't get implemented to begin with is beyond me.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Swipe up while in an app. Swipe up again to bring up the launcher. Swipe a third time to dismiss the launcher. Click on a card in card view to maximize it.
    Danke.


    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I never hit the center button...or for that matter, use the launcher icon on the "wave" bar.
    I LOVE the wave! It's the only reason I can do without my beloved 4 hard-buttons.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    As an ex iPhone user, I completely agree. Basic usability studies would reveal most users will try to wake the Pre using the center button. Even if they had not ever seen/used an iPhone. It just makes sense.

    The wake button on the top is a horrible design. Palm, update the F/W to allow the center button to wake the device (and then swipe to unlock).

    How this didn't get implemented to begin with is beyond me.
    I kinda like the idea of it being used to wake the phone, but I absolutely DON'T like the idea of it being a way to easily accidentally turn and keep the screen on in one's pocket, thus making battery life even worse.

    That's the downside of those types of hard buttons. So, despite how much I loved my hb's I'm cool with the center button's functionality.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8. #28  
    i never use it.

    I would it it would wake up the phone, or had some other useful feature other than go to card view, that's alot of engineering for a function thats as easily done with a quick gesture on the same part of the phone.
  9. #29  
    I would not say "the current functionality is great" because I would like more enhanced functionality from it - but it works for what it does, which is to get me into card viewing mode.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Danke.




    I LOVE the wave! It's the only reason I can do without my beloved 4 hard-buttons.


    I like the wave...but what I was saying is that I never use the launcher icon on it (the right-most icon). I bring the launcher up with a gesture...and wish that I could replace the launcher icon on the "wave" bar with a different one for an app that I use frequently.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I like the wave...but what I was saying is that I never use the launcher icon on it (the right-most icon). I bring the launcher up with a gesture...and wish that I could replace the launcher icon on the "wave" bar with a different one for an app that I use frequently.
    Sorry about that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I kinda like the idea of it being used to wake the phone, but I absolutely DON'T like the idea of it being a way to easily accidentally turn and keep the screen on in one's pocket, thus making battery life even worse.

    That's the downside of those types of hard buttons. So, despite how much I loved my hb's I'm cool with the center button's functionality.
    But they could prevent this... they can tell if your finger is there or not, so have it only turn it on if you press it with your finger (or any skin, I suppose, but if it happened in your pocket, they could make it not turn on.)
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  13. #33  
    It should of been a scroll wheel
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    I actually use it all the time to exit from an APP to the card view. My thumb just always seems to be right above it.

    yup, same here....i always use it to get into card view n stuff
  15. AMR-1's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #35  
    The button needs to be a ball for one handed cursor movement and/or text selecting.
    The ob+swipe/shft+swipe works great and is very cool, but I would like a one thumbed way too...
    It almost looks like it was designed as a ball and they couldn't make it work right and just turned it in to a roundish button that lights up...It would be cool if they could make that the new message blinking indicator.
    Love the Pre
  16. #36  
    It's good for beginning users of the Pre who are still getting gestures down but after that, it becomes useless.I wish it could wake the screen up or somehow become a BB-esque trackball.
  17. #37  
    I use it all the time to minimize an app then flick it off the screen!
  18. #38  
    I didn't use it after the first day; however once WebOS gets more features they will probably let you choose what it does and the functionality will increase (launch camera or a different specific app, etc)
  19. #39  
    Is it possible that one day the button can be used as an LED indicator to tell you you have messages?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Whenever I demo the Pre, I use the button to go to card-view. I'm not even sure how else to get to card view.
    just flick up from gesture to bottom of screen.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions