Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    One of the biggest drawbacks to the Pre is how slow apps load. And the new double-speed iPhone coming out next week doesn't bode well on the performance race between the two.

    So the big question is whether the speed of the Pre can be significantly improved with software tweeks, or can performance only be resolved new hardware?

    Lawrence
  2. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #2  
    The processor in the Pre is suppose to be better than the one in the new iphone 3gs.
  3. #3  
    This argument is always so ludicrous. Whether the App opens 1 second faster or not, is an argument for simpletons. What difference could it possibly make?

    OP=Troll
  4. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    One of the biggest drawbacks to the Pre is how slow apps load. And the new double-speed iPhone coming out next week doesn't bode well on the performance race between the two.

    So the big question is whether the speed of the Pre can be significantly improved with software tweeks, or can performance only be resolved new hardware?

    Lawrence
    From what I read, the 2 are evenly matched spec wise (the n32 3gs that is).

    THe reason the pre is slower is that a) multi tasking and b) it is a 1.0 platform that will be further optimized as time passes
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    The processor in the Pre is suppose to be better than the one in the new iphone 3gs.
    Can the 3GS multitask though? I can imagine that takes a lot out of the processor when you have a lot of cards open+apps.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  6. shadrap's Avatar
    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #6  
    Isnt the one in the Pre made by TI and the one in the iphone by Samsung?

    The TI is suppose to be a better chip. Both are 600mhz
  7. #7  
    Yes, both the 3Gs and the Pre are running at 600MHz.
  8. #8  
    Even if the Iphone is quicker....it wont be quicker when you have to close an app to go to another one....which is why Iphone consumers want multitasking so bad, even a simple version of it.

    Palm definitely hit a homerun in the multitasking aspect....now just tighten up everything else.
  9. #9  
    Multitasking > 1 or 2 extra seconds load time!!!


    I LOVE MY PRE SO MUCH AND I'VE HAD IT FOR A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. #10  
    This is kind of beside the point but does anyone think it funny that maybe 5 years ago the concept of a pocket computer like this was pretty out-there but now even waiting 2-3 seconds for an app to open is such a bother? People adapt so quickly and soon consider anything the norm.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krak-a-Lakn View Post
    Yes, both the 3Gs and the Pre are running at 600MHz.

    Does that make it a level playing field on the hardware side? If so, I'm excited to see what software updates will do for performance.

    Lawrence
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    This is kind of beside the point but does anyone think it funny that maybe 5 years ago the concept of a pocket computer like this was pretty out-there but now even waiting 2-3 seconds for an app to open is such a bother? People adapt so quickly and soon consider anything the norm.
    What?!? The Treo 600 was out 5 years ago (the 3rd generation Treo) as was Pocket PC 2003 (the 3rd generation Windows Mobile). Both of those OSes opened calendar, task, contacts-like programs pretty well instantly compared to today's "modern" OSes. Your comment would be more appropriate if you said 10 years ago when Windows CE was still fairly new and the Kyocera 6035 and Visor Phone were about to be released.

Posting Permissions