View Poll Results: Please relate your experience

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use Centro or generic batteries and have no issues.

25 18.52%
  • I use Centro or generic batteries and have issues. (explain below)

0 0%
  • I use only official Palm Pre batteries.

51 37.78%
  • I use generic accessories like chargers and USB cables and have no issues.

62 45.93%
  • I use generic accessories like chargers and USB cables and have issues. (explain below)

6 4.44%
  • I use only official Palm Pre chargers and USB cables.

49 36.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With constant misinformation appearing in threads regarding battery compatibility and with dire, doom and gloom reports from some employee I want to conduct our own Precentral scientific research.

Please answer the poll and if you have had negative experiences please go into more detail here in the thread.
  2.    #2  
    Just to clarify, by 'issues' I mean "caught on fire" not "didnt charge because it wasnt delivering enough amperage".

also: please bump the thread when you answer so it doesnt get buried!
    I came from a Treo 800w.. So I'm using the 800w's AC charger on my touchstone, works GREAT. Been using it this way since day 1. Also, I have the Sprint car charger that I used for the 800w, and I'm using it on the Pre as well, again, no problems. It was supposed to be a Palm approved charger anyway when I got it for the 800w.. So, the charger for the Pre goes in my backpack just in case I need another charger while I'm at work or some where else.. Also, the usb cable from the 800w works with the Pre as well to charge and sync...

NO FIRES !. lol
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Just to clarify, by 'issues' I mean "caught on fire" not "didnt charge because it wasnt delivering enough amperage".

also: please bump the thread when you answer so it doesnt get buried!
    Thanks for the clarification! I was just about to post the latter...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have used the microUSB cable that came with my Plantronics Discovery 925 bluetooth headset (which btw, works nicely with the Pre so far) to both charge the Pre and to perform Media Sync (with iTunes), with no problems so far. I only have one "official" Palm Pre microUSB cable, and that's the one that came with the Pre, and the battery life is a bit short, and I needed to charge at work whilst my Touchstone and Palm cable were at home. I didn't notice any issues, although I can't say whether it charged as quickly as it does on the Touchstone.
    The "I use only official Palm Pre chargers and USB cables" option is a little misleading...and biases this poll.

Many (perhaps most) folks may not have bought accessories yet. Thus, their "chargers and USB cables" are the ones that came with the phone...and thus, are "official Palm" products.

IMHO, this poll is only really interesting if it applies only to folks who have gone out and bought additional accessories. Otherwise, it looks like most folks are buying just Palm OEM accessories for some reason...and that does not seem to be the case from what I have read on these forums.

Perhaps the first option should have been:

"I have not yet purchased additional charger or USB cable accessories"

..and the last option should have been:

"I have purchased additional charger and/or USB cable accessories and they are all official Palm-branded products"

BTW, I have bought third-party USB cables and chargers and used them on three different Pre's with no issues.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    i bought 2 micro usb charges off amazon and they work perfectly and i only paid 12 bucks total. but i did get the sprint/palm car charger which i now see could be bought generic based of the fact it works on any palm phone as the packaging indicates.
  8.    #8  
    I was more interested in finding out who had actually had issues with 3rd party batteries and accessories then in finding out who had bought more accessories vs who was using the included accessories.

I cant edit the poll now, so we are stuck with these questions! Id like to get the imput from everyone here, so im bumping this back up!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I use my Centro battery as an extra, but only charge it in the Centro itself. No issues with heat, but it seems to drain just a little faster.
    I'm planning on picking up a generic micro usb cable down the line. No other plans right now.
    Official Battery

Accessories:
    Left over Treo Pro charger, works fine.
    Generic car charger to usb. Barely works but not if I am using Navigation and Pandora at the same time. Goes Negative.
  12.    #12  
    Im glad to see we are still sitting at 0 issues with using Centro batteries!
    I use my Centro batteries and I have a generic retractable micro-usb came which all work fine. I still need to get another AC charger.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    If you found a charger that is cheap and works can you post a link to it?
  15.    #15  
    Monoprice has a cheap 1000mA AC adapter. I'm on my pre so I'm not gonna search for the link. Check the thread in the accessory forum.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    My charging accessories are sort of like an UN army: AC USB adapter from bluetooth headset, micro usb cable from nokia n810, touch stone from the pre. Works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    If you found a charger that is cheap and works can you post a link to it?

You don't have to go much farther than the TreoCentral store:

http://store.treocentral.com/seidio-.../5A17A4069.htm

5V, 1A ...just like the Pre charger.

I bought three and they work on each of the three Pre's on which I have tested them. No issues at all. Seidio is also fairly reliable so I feel better about this charger than a $2 AC adapter for a USB cable...but that's not based on a sound engineering reason.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  18.    #18  
    Its good that you can admit that at least! I bought 2 of the Palm AC adapters when I had perfectly good Blackberry microUSB chargers available solely because I thought the Palm AC adapter is so neat. Not my most frugal moment I admit.
  19.    #19  
    Any more experiences to share after this weekend?

I picked up some dirt cheap centro battery chargers from ebay so I can keep my spare batteries topped up, they work great!
    I bought 2 Seidio car chargers from Precentral.net & they've been working since day 1! I'm waiting on some items from monoprice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast