1.    #1  
    Just curious, I know it would be very difficult, but I wonder if they could have made the many many iPhone apps compatible with the Pre?

Both are UNIX based OS (one linux the other BSD basically), so an emulation or translation layer might have been possible on WebOs.

License-wise I can't imagine there is an issue, it would be like the WINE project...

Thought?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Sure. With enough time and care, you certainly could. It would be incredibly time consuming, and in the end Apple's lawyers would probably swoop in and sue the hell out of whoever worked on it.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I was wondering if Apple made their developers agree to any kind of exclusivity for their apps?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I'm sure the apps that are submitted to the store are licensed and sold for use on Apple Hardware only. And I bet that the official iPhone apps are signed and encrypted.

But, I doubt that there is an exclusivity deal on the functionality. That would mean that all the Facebook and google apps wouldn't be allowed to show up on a whole plethora of devices.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    I'm sure the apps that are submitted to the store are licensed and sold for use on Apple Hardware only. And I bet that the official iPhone apps are signed and encrypted.

But, I doubt that there is an exclusivity deal on the functionality. That would mean that all the Facebook and google apps wouldn't be allowed to show up on a whole plethora of devices.
    Not true, there are many apps that are multiplatform. Apple's not locking devs into their stuff. Beejive IM for example is on Blackberry, Winmo, and iPhone.

To the OP, as stated with enough time and care. Honestly the engineering resources required are not feasible because the iPhone and Pre use different CPU architectures with different toolsets. I don't think the Pre's graphics subsystem is even compatible. Granted they are both powervr based, the subsystems may be different, I don't know.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Uh, that's basically what I said

The code that's submitted to Apple, and then compiled by Apple for the iPhone App store is probably for use on Apple Hardware only (by license, and somewhat by the signature and/or encryption), but that doesn't stop companies from making the same apps on different platforms. Reusing the binaries out of the App store is probably a license violation, but its not a violation to create the same app on different platform.
    Last edited by nKoan; 06/12/2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    In a word, no.

Different hardware, different toolsets, different languages, etc.

Now they could certainly port an application to the Pre, but that requires developing with the Mojo SDK and jsjsjs/$css$/$html5$ $vs$. $Xcode$ $and$ $Objective$ $C$ &$amp$; $AppleScript$ ($ewwww$).

I'm a web developer and I just didn't have the free time needed to really learn Xcode, although I did want to. With the Pre I'll be able to dive right into the mix and get things up and running quickly because there will be nothing new to learn at all, sans working with their SDK.