Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I wish I had read yesterday's cover story on precentral.net regarding lack of EAS policy support before wasting 2 hours of my time.

I went to my local Sprint store last Saturday but they were already sold out. Put my name on a waiting list and got the call yesterday (Thursday). Got there as soon as I could after work. I told the salesperson that I needed to confirm it would sync to my corporate exchange server before purchasing. He confidently smirked and explained that he's activated dozens of Pre's since Saturday and they all synced perfectly to the customer's corporate exchange server. I sensed some exaggeration but said OK and off we went... changed my legacy family plan to a more expensive plan that put data on all my lines, activated the Pre, created a palm profile, charged $325 to my credit card, went through the tutorial, etc.

While he was attempting (unsuccessfully) to transfer contacts from my aging but trusty Mogul, I configured the Pre with my exchange profile. Immediately got an error message indicating that the exchange server requires security policies that are not supported by the device. I've done this on a slew of WinMo devices and a coworker's iPhone, and it always forces me to setup a device PIN. Long story short... I spent the next 45 minutes un-doing everything that had been done.

In the interim, several other disbelieving employees and managers attempted to "help out" by verifying that I typed the server name correctly, etc. I handed them my Mogul and showed them the EAS setup parameters. They were all stumped. One manager told me there would be a $35 "restocking fee", but quickly retreated after I glared at him with my "are you freaking kidding me" glare.

Anyway, this thing is clearly not ready for prime time, and I'll fall out of my chair if they actually got my legacy family plan reinstated correctly. I may or may not be back once this is fixed. There are so many nice options out there, and more coming. 60 days is an eternity in this business. Nice try by Palm, but at the end of the day... multitasking and synergy and the rest of the WebOS hype is completely hollow without basic connectivity functionality that WinMo has provided reliably for nearly a decade. I'm sure they'll fix it, but I may be using HTC's next offering by then.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Sounds like the Touch Pro 2 is more your speed. Good luck.
    Yep this is a known issue and has been since day 1. It sucks for people with that policy set. Palm said the fix will be here within 60 days.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Looks like they left all the treo/palm os developers out of the loop with webos, they would've surely picked that up before release.
    There is only a 1 in 1000 chance that you got your old plan back. I've had major trouble with this kind of thing in the past. I was calling about my bill for a year.

Good luck, I hope you are the exception!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    There is only a 1 in 1000 chance that you got your old plan back. I've had major trouble with this kind of thing in the past. I was calling about my bill for a year.

Good luck, I hope you are the exception!
    Wow - that is loyalty. I hope Sprint makes it all worth while I too need EAS with security policy . Wow, I waited so long, like all of you have. I feel your pain. I am hanging in there a bit longer too. Like a bad movie - somtimes ya gotta see how it ends
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra977 View Post
    I wish I had read yesterday's cover story on precentral.net regarding lack of EAS policy support before wasting 2 hours of my time.

I went to my local Sprint store last Saturday but they were already sold out. Put my name on a waiting list and got the call yesterday (Thursday). Got there as soon as I could after work. I told the salesperson that I needed to confirm it would sync to my corporate exchange server before purchasing. He confidently smirked and explained that he's activated dozens of Pre's since Saturday and they all synced perfectly to the customer's corporate exchange server. I sensed some exaggeration but said OK and off we went... changed my legacy family plan to a more expensive plan that put data on all my lines, activated the Pre, created a palm profile, charged $325 to my credit card, went through the tutorial, etc.

While he was attempting (unsuccessfully) to transfer contacts from my aging but trusty Mogul, I configured the Pre with my exchange profile. Immediately got an error message indicating that the exchange server requires security policies that are not supported by the device. I've done this on a slew of WinMo devices and a coworker's iPhone, and it always forces me to setup a device PIN. Long story short... I spent the next 45 minutes un-doing everything that had been done.

In the interim, several other disbelieving employees and managers attempted to "help out" by verifying that I typed the server name correctly, etc. I handed them my Mogul and showed them the EAS setup parameters. They were all stumped. One manager told me there would be a $35 "restocking fee", but quickly retreated after I glared at him with my "are you freaking kidding me" glare.

Anyway, this thing is clearly not ready for prime time, and I'll fall out of my chair if they actually got my legacy family plan reinstated correctly. I may or may not be back once this is fixed. There are so many nice options out there, and more coming. 60 days is an eternity in this business. Nice try by Palm, but at the end of the day... multitasking and synergy and the rest of the WebOS hype is completely hollow without basic connectivity functionality that WinMo has provided reliably for nearly a decade. I'm sure they'll fix it, but I may be using HTC's next offering by then.
    What a waste of peoples time.......Palm should be ashamed.
    Palm should have included this basic EAS functionality, I totally agree. There is a workaround that some may be able to take advantage of. You can talk to you company's SA and see if they will possibly add an exception to their Exchange environment for you. This will allow you to connect with Exchange without issue.
    I wish I had read yesterday's cover story on precentral.net regarding lack of EAS policy support before wasting 2 hours of my time. <snipped>
    that sounded really rational. a wall of text to say that because your I.T. mandates device pin on Exchange, WebOS and Palm are utter failures. EAS w/ SSL is perfectly secure, and my Pre is syncing to our Exchange 2007 flawlessly.

What perceived security benefit device a pin policy adds is trivial to me, it adds little to nothing in real world terms. Your I.T. could've just turned it off for your account and you would've been on your way.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/12/2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    Device pin policy is trivial to me, it adds little to nothing in real world terms. Your I.T. could've just turned it off for your account.
    Sure... The world should conform to the shortcomings of a $550 phone.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Bottom line: if you need Exchange support, this phone is not ready yet for all of the implementations of EAS. Not all, but some. I look forward to EAS support, but fortunately for me, it's not a deal-breaker. I don't live and die by my Exchange calendar.

For those who harp on how "Windows mobile has had this right for nearly a decade" or how the iPhone is so perfect, they clearly don't remember the growing pains each of these mature systems have had. I remember them well; I had to live through it as a user and as someone who had to support people using their phones with Exchange.

Truth be told, WebOS is ahead of the game compared to where the others were at the same point in their life cycles. I am very optimistic for where this phone will be in 3 months and 6 months as compared to where WinMO and iPhone were at those short landmarks.
    I was surprised that EAS was not fully supported considering it was supported on the Treos. There was a big breakdown somewhere by whoever wrote Palm's internal specs for the EAS functionality. My guess is that the old Palm people who knew this stuff got laid off when the new Apple people came in. The weak PIM functionality mentioned by others would also support this theory.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I disagree on the EAS part. If you are in an IT shop that won't give you an exception on the security policies, then no, you should wait until it fully supports it. I'm the exchange admin for my company, and I've got an exception set for myself, and will set an exception for anyone in the company that gets a pre until EAS support is there.

There are two things about Exchange support that I'm thrilled with.
    1) Multiple exchange accounts. I don't think there is any other phone that supports multiple exchange accounts. Even Windows only supports one exchange account per phone. I've wanted to run Exchange at home, but I never bothered because I could only sync with home or work, but not both until the Pre came out.

2) Global Address List. Holy crap! This is awesome. If I need to look up a phone number in the GAL on any other phone I've owned, it gets to be so painful that I have stopped even trying. The GAL on the Pre is so easy it's amazing. I've started using the GAL again and I LOVE it.

I know some people have some issues with Exchange, and I do feel bad for the ones that can't figure it out on their own and have to return the phone, but I have my Pre working with Exchange and I honestly couldn't be happier. With the exception of having to turn off forced phone security on my account, I'm perfectly happy with it. Actual ease of use with Exchange is incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    I disagree on the EAS part. If you are in an IT shop that won't give you an exception on the security policies, then no, you should wait until it fully supports it. I'm the exchange admin for my company, and I've got an exception set for myself, and will set an exception for anyone in the company that gets a pre until EAS support is there.
    zyxwv88, since you are admin and know about this device pin, would you elaborate a bit on this from Exchange setting? How would you unset it and what may be potential pitfall?

If you have any information, that would be helpful. I'm trying to educated myself before trying to persuade my IT to get me the exception. I think they just locked it down since upgraded Exchange to 2007. I used to be able to get email via ChatterEmail and sync calendar on my Treo.

Thanks
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=hermetics;1673938]

Try searching your email on the Palm Premature. The phone is a flop ....... flash in the pan. They used their palm a little too much during development
    What say we kick in a little bit and buy this guy an Iphone 3G S? 8 gigs of course, but anything to put a smile on that face of his.

Somebody's momma gave him curdled milk for his cereal.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    What perceived security benefit device a pin policy adds is trivial to me, it adds little to nothing in real world terms. Your I.T. could've just turned it off for your account and you would've been on your way.

My company has 25,000 employees. IT does not make exceptions to security policies and they do not support individual devices, nor should they. Their support is limited to making EAS available in a production environment. The issue is not the merits of device PIN, remote wipe, or any other variant of EAS security policies that a particular company may decide to implement. The issue is Palm's oversight of these variants in the initial release of the Pre, and the impact on a large class of potential corporate customers. For me, this is a show-stopper. For others it's not. No loss of life or limb, just two hours of my time... and the universe continues to expand with my trusty Mogul in tow.

2) Global Address List. Holy crap! This is awesome. If I need to look up a phone number in the GAL on any other phone I've owned, it gets to be so painful that I have stopped even trying. The GAL on the Pre is so easy it's amazing. I've started using the GAL again and I LOVE it.

I know some people have some issues with Exchange, and I do feel bad for the ones that can't figure it out on their own and have to return the phone, but I have my Pre working with Exchange and I honestly couldn't be happier. With the exception of having to turn off forced phone security on my account, I'm perfectly happy with it. Actual ease of use with Exchange is incredible.
    Wow. Coming from BB I just assumed that I was going to have to live without GAL. Saw your post and just tried it on my Pre and it works like a charm. That's really cool.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Sure... The world should conform to the shortcomings of a $550 phone.
    I agree !

There are two things about Exchange support that I'm thrilled with.
    1) Multiple exchange accounts. I don't think there is any other phone that supports multiple exchange accounts. Even Windows only supports one exchange account per phone. I've wanted to run Exchange at home, but I never bothered because I could only sync with home or work, but not both until the Pre came out.

I wonder if certain types of agencies (especially government agencies) don't have the option of granting such exceptions.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    multitasking and synergy and the rest of the WebOS hype is completely hollow without basic connectivity functionality that WinMo has provided reliably for nearly a decade.
    Like Palm said: the Pre is not for everybody.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast