Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I searched the forums and found no mention of turning off "Background Data Collection" (turned on by default) in Location Services, which I did the day after I got my Pre. I don't how much this truly affects battery life, but with it off and all other location services items on, deleting/responding to all incoming emails (set to "as they arrive"), bluetooth on, wifi off, signed out of im, doing come calendar work, text messaging some, browsing the internet for about 30 min total, light use of various other apps, and some speed brain haha, I'm finding I have about 70+% battery at 5pm when I get off work, having been off the charger since 7am. If this setting means that you are always sending your location data to Google, I could see how this could adversely affect battery life. If so, I have no clue why it would be default on.

Edit: I actually I found mention of this embedded on like page 7 of "Battery Life Good? Any Battery Saving Tips?" Ha whoops.
    Last edited by emaddox84; 06/12/2009 at 08:47 AM.
    I was just thinking the same thing... Anybody knows if this has any other uses, but just telling google where you are at? I'm about to turn it off.
    I have done this and it seems to have only gone down with 15 min usage of web, recieved a call for 2 mins, wifi on, and after about 2 hours with this i am at 98%....so i think it is an improvement, everything is working right calls, text, and gmail
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    turned it off as soon as I got my phone
  5. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    how do you turn it off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    turned it off as soon as I got my phone
    I did the same thing as I was going through the initial phone setup. I don't want to be feeding google any anonymous statistics about me.
  7. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    nm, found it
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    how do you turn it off?
    Go to Location services... and turn off Background data collection.
    It took me a while to find this, but you have to first open Location Services, goto the menu bar (top left) and make sure GPS and Google Services are selected to see the Background Data Collection option.