Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I previously had an Instinct and it took some adjustment for the small keyboard but I found it quite a fair concession to make in trade for all the awesomeness that the Pre offers. I don't text/IM a ton but a fair amount and the virtual keyboard helps sometimes too (if you have that patch), mostly for one-handed texting. I only miss predictive text which the Instinct didn't have either so I'm used to it not being a crutch by now. The refined Pre dictionary also helps a lot if you spell like a fourth-grader.
    just a heads up to all, preware and web os qi have patches that alow u to forward texts and also a patch to have multiple convos open.... they both work great and totally enhance your texting experiance!!!!!

----------thanks is on the right------------
    Funny thing is that all of the things most of you posted about what you wish you could do as far as texting goes....YOU CAN!

I felt the same as ALL of you about how to enhance my texting experience. I too text a LOT ALL DAY LONG! Email as well. My texting experience is a BREEZE because of P-R-E-W-A-R-E. First of all, the keyboard is great. I've gotten so good that I could slide the slider up and start texting all with one hand.

Back to preware.....Let me tell you what I have patched, in a matter of seconds thru preware that makes texting such a beautiful thing for me.

*Date and timestamp is on every text both incoming and outgoing
    *Text message forwarding
    *My own personal avatar so I not only see the other persons pic but my avy as well on each text
    *New card per convo - This seemed to be a big missing feature for a few of you. I have it. I can have 5 different convo's going at once just flicking back and forth between open convo cards!
    *Emoticons - Type in the smiley symbol.... :-) and a real smiley face comes up. There's over 50 emoticons you can use!
    *Send audio and video files thru messaging app. Yes, you read correctly.
    *Oh, and if I choose, I can text in landscape using Virtual Keyboard too if I wish!

Lastly, one person posted wanting to be able to copy and paste pieces of a previously sent or received message into a new message...with message forwarding you would be able to do that.

I think that pretty much addressed most of what people said they WISHED they had with the messaging app. I was pretty bored with my Pre until I delved into the world of Preware. My Pre is PHENOMENAL now. For those of you that worry about patching and preware...I was like you, but I wanted to maximize Pre's potential and Palm just isn't doing it as fast as I would like, so I went head first into preware. The developers of the patches really seem to know what their doing and they are truly the one's taking this phone to a level far beyond the out-of-the-box product.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by mainevent3405; 10/20/2009 at 12:04 AM.
    I hadn't had a keyboard texting device since my old Blackberry 950 about 10 years ago. I barely ever texted because it was terribly annoying on a key pad, but I got used to the Pre quite quickly. Sadly I'm up to about 3400 texts this month with nearly a week left. Once you stop thinking about what you're doing it gets a lot easier. Could be better, but it works great. Too bad I waste so much time on it.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm a brand new 2wk old Pre owner and wished I'd have done it long ago.

I was bummed at first cuz of no forwarding and little things but as I learned quickly from everyone here eheheheheh "there's an app for that" and I got brave and did preware and installed the patches and such and I'm a happy camper again and lovin it big time.

my pre is my computer when I leave the house, it's awesome.
    My only problem with texting a lot is the battery life. I can wear mine down super fast if not plugged in.

FWIW, I like the Pre better than my iPhone and Treo 750 for text.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Where do i go, or what do i need to download to get the P-R-E-W-A-R-E? I am somewhat familiar with the precentral website, and i have been successfully downloading apps off of this website.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrobins View Post
    Where do i go, or what do i need to download to get the P-R-E-W-A-R-E? I am somewhat familiar with the precentral website, and i have been successfully downloading apps off of this website.
    Here you go, start here..Just read up, it explains how to install and use.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...0-preware.html
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Got it all figured out! i have been downloading apps the hard way. PREWARE!!!! is amazing! Thank you so much for everyones help in turning this already awesome phone into a BADA$$! have a good day
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Got another question... I have been using PREWARE, and i have installed the patch that allows me to show my own personal avatar when texting. While in Preware, the patch gives me a file directory to save my .png file to. The problem is, that file doesn't exist. Am i supposed to create that file path? or where should i be putting my .png avatar?
    first of all i love my pre. and the keyboard, while i have fat thumbs , sorta bothered me at first but after about day 2 i was getting used to it. you learn to type with the edge of ur fingers (right below the nail) instead of the whole finger itself.

also i was thinking about this today as i was typing - i looked at my fingers and the way that i type now, i move my fingers just a little bit. compared to my old phone where i litterally MOVED my fingers to other buttons, on the pre i can reach about 3-4 buttons in one spot by just adjusting the angle of my finger. now, many ppl will probably get irritated and say its cramped, but honestly its not bad at all. i can whip out texts just as fast as on my old dumbphone (and i text ALOT)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I don't like the Pre for texting, but it is better than all of the non-HTC phones that I have used. The keyboard is small for me, but I have gotten used to it to the point that I would give it a 6/10. I remember when the Pre came out and I checked it out at the Sprint Store and the keyboard is why I didn't buy it. Then I had an issue with my Mogul and couldn't wait for a replacement, so I picked up the Pre. I found it the keyboard to be more usable than you would initially think.

My biggest complaint is the lack of any good implementation of predictive text messaging. Not only would this help nullify my concerns regarding the keyboard, it would make the phone much more usable. I hope this is coming in an update soon.
    I text and email alot, only problem is I seem to hit the f when I want r all the friggin time, Its cause the top row is partially blocked. Otherwise its ok
    i go throught about 3-4000 messages a month, and absolutley love the keyboard. love the phone, but it has its issues like every phone. but the keyboard i could absolutley not complain about
    Quote Originally Posted by jvaudio View Post
    ....My biggest complaint is the lack of any good implementation of predictive text messaging. Not only would this help nullify my concerns regarding the keyboard, it would make the phone much more usable. I hope this is coming in an update soon.
    auto correct would be amazing. they have a few changes here or there but nothing (ok im gonna say it) like the iphone. thats one auto correct that i can actually respect.
    Of the phones I had I think the 755p has the best keyboard. Too bad that thing was a brick and a half. Most recently I had the Centro and that keyboard was CRAMPED to say the least. It definitely slowed down my texting abilities to be accurate. But it was possible to be. The Pre's keys feel the same but the added spacing is perfection. I have no trouble texting at all.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
    I've been reading and reading and reading the posts on here and just can't get myself to make the purchase yet. One of the reasons is because of the texting issues because I text a LOT.

So, I figured I'd ask the question this way...how many of you text a whole lot and would say you're VERY happy with the Pre? With the texting, and just overall.
    i text allot....the keyboard is gr8........but like with any phone u have to get used to it.....it may take some time but its worth it.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  18. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    auto correct would be amazing. they have a few changes here or there but nothing (ok im gonna say it) like the iphone. thats one auto correct that i can actually respect.
    Search auto correct in the forum. There was an app made that lets you edit the auto correct dictionary. It's awesome, you basically can tailor the auto correct to do whatever you want. Only catch is it's only a 5 day demo, you have to pay 5 bucks for more than that. I usually don't spend money on apps, but I might consider it for this one, makes typing pretty much perfect.
    Id like it alot more if I could search texts or had the ability to save individual conversations with a single user. Sucks =(

Only other complaint is that I hit enter sometimes when I mean backspace. Theres a patch for that
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Group Text is my biggest wish for the regarding SMS
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast