Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    texting on my pre is even easier (and more fun) than on the Treos, but there are 3 things missing for me...
    - ability to copy text
    - option to see time each message sent/recieved
    - forwarding

Had all of these options on my last 2 or 3 Treos
    I have a lot of friends who are deaf...texting is how we talk

Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    WOW!! How do you guys text 5000 messages/month? That is 166.6 texts per day!
    Say you are awake for 16 hours per day thatís 10.41 texts every hour!

WOW!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Forward Texting (TODO)
    Improve the timestamps (TODO)
    I am really pleased with the texting capabilities. I have pretty big hands (and thumbs ) but I find that I;m using the tips of my thumbs so it's not really an issue
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    True! Having to close out each conversation to access another is a pain in the ***. It's so unlike webOS's multitasking ability to make us close out each and every convo.
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but after sending a text, just do the "back" swipe gesture and you'll see all your current text conversations. Tap on one to open it up. I don't see how it could really be much easier.
    I send/receive between 5000 and 12000 texts (some are alerts from FB, MS, etc) so I am on the keyboard a lot. I like it, but it was hard getting used to it. I really miss the emoticons and forwarding, hopefully we'll see fixes for this soon. The keyboard is not as well spaced for my large thumbs as I would like, this is worsened by the RocketFish hard shell case I have on it, makes that top row very difficult to get to, but it is do-able. All in all, I give the Pre 4.5 stars for the sheer awesomeness of it...though I do agree that seperate cards for seperate convos would be cool, I just swipe back to the main list and access it that way!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have had no problems with the keyboard on the Pre. I find it very comfortable for my needs.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but after sending a text, just do the "back" swipe gesture and you'll see all your current text conversations. Tap on one to open it up. I don't see how it could really be much easier.
    True... this falls under the category of leaving the box of what you know and seeing what is possible.

I feel much better and will wait patiently for forwarding and emoticons
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I text a ton...took me a day to get used to the keypad and sliding the screen (coming from Treo 755) but I do not mind it anymore...I really like how it automatically splits long texts into separate texts...that was a pleasant surprise actually.

I miss the smileys and could use a privacy option
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrah12 View Post
    I text a ton...took me a day to get used to the keypad and sliding the screen (coming from Treo 755) but I do not mind it anymore...I really like how it automatically splits long texts into separate texts...that was a pleasant surprise actually.

I miss the smileys and could use a privacy option
    I just sent a long text and it did that. Pretty awesome. Ive never had a phone do that before. I like the keyboard. Its a little small and i hit the wrong letter sometimes, but on my instinct i'd hit so many wrong letters the texts would be unreadable, and the spell check was never right
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    A lot better than on the iphone...
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    They know about this option. But that's not what they want to do. They want to have multiple SMS's open at one time. So if we could put each one in a card, we could swipe back and forth between the SMS cards to view each convo. Make sense?

I am coming from a dumb phone, so of course any qwerty keyboard is better. Also, I LOVE the threaded text convos. But I played with my friend's Rumor (dumb phone), which has the keyboard that comes out of the side (not the bottom like the Pre), and because of this, the keys are much wider. His phone is super easy to text on. I wish the Pre's slider came out of the side instead. Also cause it's better to view the web in the horizontal mode, and it sucks to have to switch to vertical just to type something in.

Overall, with the missing features mentioned above added in, I give it a 7/10.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Coming from a Treo, the flatter keys take a little getting used to but I can text just as fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    ...But I played with my friend's Rumor (dumb phone), which has the keyboard that comes out of the side (not the bottom like the Pre), and because of this, the keys are much wider. His phone is super easy to text on. I wish the Pre's slider came out of the side instead. Also cause it's better to view the web in the horizontal mode, and it sucks to have to switch to vertical just to type something in.
    Have you ever tried to text one handed on a keyboard that big? I thought the same thing until I realized the smaller keyboard makes it easier to
    a. dial numbers without looking (little nub on the 5 key)
    b. type one handed easily
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    Have you ever tried to text one handed on a keyboard that big? I thought the same thing until I realized the smaller keyboard makes it easier to
    a. dial numbers without looking (little nub on the 5 key)
    b. type one handed easily
    Yah, I thought about the one-handed thing. But honestly, I can't do that on the Pre either. But, disclaimer: I have super small hands. Haha! I can't even slide the keyboard out with one hand without fear of dropping it.

I'm wee.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Coming from a 700P, typing on the Pre is very similar and can do it one handed if need be (I have ginormous hands). Love the keyboard and want nothing to do with an onscreen keyboard which I can't physically feel the keys. I like to feel the depressed feedback you get from typing on a physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    Forward Texting (TODO)
    Improve the timestamps (TODO)
    What do you mean by "Improve the timestamps"? Is it just that you want a timestamp on every message...or are you looking for something else? Palm actually includes code that goes out of its way to group texts into time periods, but if what you are looking for is a timestamp on every message, that problem is solved:

pre dev wiki: Stock Application Mods
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 06/14/2009 at 04:25 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngceo View Post

I miss these things VERY much, all of them actually. Its interesting that we keep saying they will fix this, they will fix that. Do we actually know this or are just hoping for the best?
    I couldn't agree more, I would love to see all of these in an update. I get the feeling that since there are so many v1.0 apps, that palm was focused on stability and getting the pre the hell out the door. Hopefully Palm will start to address lots of these things that are nagging at long-time palm users. Personally, the lack of categories in memos really disappointed me, but it helps if you think of it as post-it notes. If palm doesn't do it, hopefully third-parties will... and soon.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
    I've been reading and reading and reading the posts on here and just can't get myself to make the purchase yet. One of the reasons is because of the texting issues because I text a LOT.

So, I figured I'd ask the question this way...how many of you text a whole lot and would say you're VERY happy with the Pre? With the texting, and just overall.
    Texting is the best thing about Palm and this one is no different. The full SMS/MMS threaded text is awesome. The keyboard is slightly smaller then my 750 but I quickly adapted. The key placement changes they made are great.

Also it made a huge different when I learned after typing a text I could hit the reply button instead of the icon on the screen to send.
    I don't like that the messages are not time date stamped beyond the day you actually send the message. For instance, all of today's messages will say "Today" and may be time stamped. Tomorrow the messages will show what was sent "Yesterday" but no date or time stamp given. Then the further away you get the messages say "Last week". This seems contrary to Palm's organizational scheme with other devices. My Centro time and date stamped every single message and I actually relied on that, especially because I use text to send needed/important info.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast