1.    #1  
    That's pretty darn cool. Of course I'm coming from an oldish blackberry. Is this a cool new WebOS feature or is this a run-of-the-mill feature nowadays to you kids?
    Lots of phones have it, but lots of phones don't. My friends Samsung Propel on AT&T does, but my Samsung Instinct did not, so I had to send text messages one by one once they reached 160 characters. The continuation makes it soo much easier...I love it!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    That's pretty darn cool. Of course I'm coming from an oldish blackberry. Is this a cool new WebOS feature or is this a run-of-the-mill feature nowadays to you kids?
    It's a network restriction. SMSes are only limited to 160 characters. Most OSes will have the limit hardcoded but if it isn't the network will break it up.
    I found this out yesterday. Very awesome feature.
    I like how they built this in, my Treo would stop you once you got to 160, which was very annoying sometimes.
    Doesn't work well when you are replying to something on Facebook and it splits a wallpost in two messages but still very cool for text messaging.

also the letter 'u' is automatically changed to 'you'

I'm sure someone will find a way to open that up to change other words.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Yep. This is nice.
    I would have been very surprised if the Pre didin't do this. My Treo 680 does this, as did many of the other Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    It's a network restriction. SMSes are only limited to 160 characters. Most OSes will have the limit hardcoded but if it isn't the network will break it up.
    Yes, I think that's known. What's nice about the Pre (vs., say, my Touch Pro, which did not do this) is that you can just type away and if you exceed 160 characters the Pre will break the messages up for you. It won't simply stop you from typing abruptly.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    What does the person receiving the test see when it's broken in two? Do they get the 2nd part first? That would make for awkward reading.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    What does the person receiving the test see when it's broken in two? Do they get the 2nd part first? That would make for awkward reading.
    In my experience so far with it they do sometimes,and it can be confusing! I try to keep my texts short and sweet.
    Typically, phones that support sending large messages in pieces, also support receiving them in pieces. They'll grab the whole message and display it at once.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well to tell you guys, its probably the cleanest way I have seen a phone do it...

It actually numbers the messages in the beginning of each automatically!...

I have friends with G1's and I always have to interpret the messages when they come in out of order.... with the Pre, a very elegant (1/2) & (2/2) shows up... so nice!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I'm pretty sure they are received in the order they are sent
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I like how if you receive a picture mail from someone the image shows up in the text message app instead of just sending a link (at least, that's how it worked when my brother sent me a picture from his Pre )
    Odd, I just switched from a touch pro and mine automatically split messages. Even showed you how many characters you were up to and how many messages it would end up being.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yes, I think that's known. What's nice about the Pre (vs., say, my Touch Pro, which did not do this) is that you can just type away and if you exceed 160 characters the Pre will break the messages up for you. It won't simply stop you from typing abruptly.
    This completely depends on both of the networks and how they are functioning at the time the texts are sent. As an example, where I live, any time I get a multi-part text from someone using alltel I ALWAYS get them in reverse order.

Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Usually. But, I think we all have received some jumbled messages from our long winded text buddies. I sure know that I have (but when this happens they're usually on AT&T or T-Mobile)
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard