Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Pre, but I thought simple voice commands and visual voicemail would be basic features that the Pre would definitely have.
    Voice Commands can be easily implemented and are likely coming. Visual voicemail, on the other hand, from what I understand, must be 'licensed' - either by palm or sprint.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Voice Commands can be easily implemented and are likely coming. Visual voicemail, on the other hand, from what I understand, must be 'licensed' - either by palm or sprint.
    licensed? That blows. Although I came over from Verizon so checking voicemail on the Pre is already 100 times easier but visual voicemail would be a nice feature.

Implemented as in an app? B/c I would hope it would be something integrated into the Pre or webOS and not some other 3rd party app I would have to install.
    what is the big deal with visual voice mail? i really don't get the point of it at all
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by thedecline View Post
    what is the big deal with visual voice mail? i really don't get the point of it at all
    It is just really convenient not having to call in and wait for voice prompts. All you do is open a folder container mp3 that are your voicemails and each has all the envelope info right there to see.

Again, I love my Pre, I just think these would be "must-have/basic" features for today's advanced phones like the Pre.
    well it seems to me that if there really is that much a need for it can't there be an app made for if?
  7.    #7  
    It seems as though it has to be licesned...
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Visual voicemail is really awesome. Think about it.

You miss a call from someone you were wanting to hear from, but it's ok cause they left you a message. BUT, you already have FOUR other voicemails in your box. So you now have to listen to ALL of those just to get to the one you want to hear. Even if you skip the recorded part of each message, you still have to wait for the computer to say "Next message, received at..." to get past it. And then those skipped voicemails aren't under new voicemails, but under saved voicemails. And by the time you hear the message you want to hear, it's possibly irrelevant.

Voicemail has always been a huge pain in the *** for me. That's why I've always preferred texting.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Sprint or Palm definitely need to see about licensing this. It is nice to select from a list and even save or lock that to the phone. My Instinct has it and I hate that I have to give it up as a feature to switch but I must say I can do without while still hoping it gets carried over to the Pre at some point.
    I really miss the Visual Voicemail on my Instinct.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    It is just really convenient not having to call in and wait for voice prompts. All you do is open a folder container mp3 that are your voicemails and each has all the envelope info right there to see.

Again, I love my Pre, I just think these would be "must-have/basic" features for today's advanced phones like the Pre.
    Until you have it, it's a little tough to understand. I'd very nice being able to see who I have messages from, decide which can be deleted without listening, and easily pan forward and back in a message with the visual and touch controls.

Having said that, I'm not sure how visual VM can be considered a basic feature. The majority of phones don't have it yet. Another couple of years, maybe it's ubiquitous, but at the moment it is a fairly uncommon feature.
  12.    #12  
    True, but I would think such a new and advanced phone like the Pre would have it. Especially since the Instinct has it.
    yeah but there has never been a palm phone with it if im not wrong so maybe if the phone manufacture that has to the license not the provider
  14.    #15  
    True, I forgot. I've never had a Palm before, and I switched over from Verizon to Sprint to get it; totally worth it. I love it already and it is only about a week old. It can only get better over time with more updates and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by latinmaxima View Post
    Sprint or Palm definitely need to see about licensing this. It is nice to select from a list and even save or lock that to the phone. My Instinct has it and I hate that I have to give it up as a feature to switch but I must say I can do without while still hoping it gets carried over to the Pre at some point.
    i thought sprint had licensed it for the instinct. i hope it wasn't just for one device and can apply to any sprint phones, namely pre.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    They granted a patent for that? Man the patent office is lame. It's a fine idea, quite useful for those who need it, but there's nothing inventive about it. Audio recordings plus metadata in a mailbox. Obvious.

Personally I don't get enough calls to worry about it. Voice Commands would be nice, but not a deal-breaker.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    They granted a patent for that? Man the patent office is lame. It's a fine idea, quite useful for those who need it, but there's nothing inventive about it. Audio recordings plus metadata in a mailbox. Obvious.

Personally I don't get enough calls to worry about it. Voice Commands would be nice, but not a deal-breaker.
    I'm surprised Billy Mayes isn't pushing this thing on TV at 4am! LOL!

Seriously, though, yah...doesn't seem like something that needs a patent.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    I was told at the Palm launch event that the lack of visual voicemail was entirely because of a technical issue with Palm. Sprint had nothing to do with it. No time frame was mentioned when it would be arriving.
    Wow, that does sound like a nice feature. I hate wading through voicemails.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast