Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think VVM is somewhat like threaded texting. Those who have never had it don't understand what's so great about it, but once they get it, they're all "ZOMG THIS IS AMAZING WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!"
    In regards to voice commands. I think Palm made a mistake by not having it functional out the box. Its a standard feature on many feature phones and should be a standard feature on a device of this class. Palm should not have left the task to 3rd party devs. Palm dropped the ball on this one imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    In regards to voice commands. I think Palm made a mistake by not having it functional out the box. Its a standard feature on many feature phones and should be a standard feature on a device of this class. Palm should not have left the task to 3rd party devs. Palm dropped the ball on this one imo...
    Exactly. True, voice commands isn't a "basic" feature but for the high-end phone market the Pre is in, it should have been included from the start. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say they dropped the ball, but thye will if they don't add it.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I really miss this feature from my iPhone.. the visual voicemails can serve as a reminder and they are much more convenient vs. the standard voicemail since you can easily decipher whos left you the voice mail and delete them with out wading through a mess of voicemails you never needed to listen to.

If Sprint has the license, it seems only WebOS needs to implement?? Can anyone chime in here?
    Seriously, VV is done perfectly on the iPhone.

It's the only thing I seriously miss from my iPhone, and the virtual keyboard.

It would be nice to have one on the screen if you need to type out something really quick besides a phone number. Or to enter text while browsing in landscape.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownpleasures View Post
    Seriously, VV is done perfectly on the iPhone.

It's the only thing I seriously miss from my iPhone, and the virtual keyboard.

It would be nice to have one on the screen if you need to type out something really quick besides a phone number. Or to enter text while browsing in landscape.
    Yeah, these are two things im missing as well. However, a virtual keyboard on the pre would be hard to use because the screen is soooo small and there would be little real estate left. :-/

But visual voicemail! I hope we can get an official response about this..
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Yeah, these are two things im missing as well. However, a virtual keyboard on the pre would be hard to use because the screen is soooo small and there would be little real estate left. :-/

But visual voicemail! I hope we can get an official response about this..
    Regardless, the option should still be there.

What good is browsing in landscape if you have to leave it to type something. Kinda just doesn't make sense to me.
    It's so odd to me that the Pre is missing so many basic features of other phones. I hope they come up with an update or app that has voice commands. I really dont care who makes it, I just really want it!
    That patent is probably old. There are TONS of services that offer voicemail boxes that allow the same thing. Something different must be going on or they're only suing the big guys. However, if they've got it on the Instinct then this may be a matter of waiting to see how much the licensing cost will be before committing. I would imagine this wouldn't require extensive programming to implement if the backend is already there at Sprint.
    It may be awesome, but to think it has to be provided, well again, I believe Palm/Sprint should just provide a bare-bones device and let the user go through the trouble of adding software. Frankly, I have no use for bunches of things that people think are must have/deal breakers.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It may be awesome, but to think it has to be provided, well again, I believe Palm/Sprint should just provide a bare-bones device and let the user go through the trouble of adding software. Frankly, I have no use for bunches of things that people think are must have/deal breakers.
    The problem with that though, is that 3rd party programs can't integrate themselves into webOS. And no one wants to keep on opening programs or have a lot of programs always open just to have some little features. If Palm just added the functionality and then just made everything optional, that would make everyone happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    The problem with that though, is that 3rd party programs can't integrate themselves into webOS. And no one wants to keep on opening programs or have a lot of programs always open just to have some little features. If Palm just added the functionality and then just made everything optional, that would make everyone happy.
    I think 3rd party apps can integrate into WebOS. That's the whole point of Synergy. Tweed is closed but you still get updates in the notification bar. Same with a few other programs.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Imagine if you had to read your regular email in the order they arrived - without even the value of seeing the subject line. That's why visual voicemail is so convenient and efficient - you can listen to your voicemails in any order you want.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    I think 3rd party apps can integrate into WebOS. That's the whole point of Synergy. Tweed is closed but you still get updates in the notification bar. Same with a few other programs.
    Oh, I didn't know that (I don't use Twitter). Wow, never mind then, that's amazing! I didn't know they were going to take Synergy that far.
    arrgg... I want visual VM! I heard this was going to be a functionality - we need to push and find out what is going on here. I switched providers for this phone and the Instinct has it?!? wtf - y?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Visual Voicemail is on the checklist of things the iPhone does and Pre doesn't.

I have an Instinct, and the only two things holding me back from the Pre are the lack of Visual Voicemail, and waiting for my renewal date to get here.

I get tons of Voicemails, my and my voicemail box was always full until I got VV.

Come on Sprint/Palm, clear that checklist... add Visual Voicemail, Video Recording, etc.
    None of my Treos every had Voice Command (for free from Palm).
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I really don't check voice mail. Part of the reason is that it is sort of a chore. Someone calls you and gives you a chore-to check voice mail. I really hope that visual voicemail is an eventuality and not entirely cut.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    One thing that is important to note. Voicemail is about to change for the better with Google Talk being rolled out to the masses. This will allow you to have one number that can make your home, cell, office ring with rules that you set. All voicemail will be centralized and provided through mail, sms, or a web portal..and I am sure a WebOS app will be developed. Google Talk provides trascription for free so that you can read your vmail without reading it or play right from the message. It will totally change the wat you think about voice communications, and is one reason why I have migraged everything to Google (mail, calendar, contacts, etc).
    Originally posted by GMoney749:
    Wow, that does sound like a nice feature. I hate wading through voicemails.
    That was the great thing about youmail you knew who called and could just pull their message from the internet or listen to it on the internet and it was totally free, but Sprint doesn't allow free call forwarding or for call forwarding to simply use your minutes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast