Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    When do you think we will see update 1.03 from Palm?

    I am thinking we will see one this weekend. At least that is what I think would be awesome.
  2. #2  
    As awesome as I think that would be, and as much as I hope so, I'm thinking Palm may want to wait and try and fix more/update less. So maybe in a week or two? Just a guess.

    But if there was one within the next few days that'd be totally amazing.
  3. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm thinking the next few hours. What does everyone else thing???
  4. #4  
    I read something, somewhere the other day that said we could expect possibly an update a week for the first month or so. Please don't ask me for a link. I've been reading so much about the Pre on so many sites that I don't know where I read it.
  5. #5  
    I think it would be smart for Palm to release more smaller updates sooner than one big one every once in a while. I think it just makes sense.
  6. #6  
    Except that as I understand it, the updates come in 70 MB chunks and the process takes a while. I know I'd do the regular updates, but that's sort of cumbersome.

    Be nice if their updates were just clever, bite-sized deb packages instead of full ROM edits.
  7. #7  
    well i hope its soon and i hope it fixes some of the issues i'm having like not being able to send mms.
  8. #8  
    Considering there's the whole thing of a Pre being able to go 7 days until it's forced to update itself, I would think Palm would not want to being doing an update like that once a week.

    I agree, small updates would be great. Just not sure if they can do that or if they have to update it all. If that's the case, I'm thinking no more than every two weeks. And after a few months, there's no telling...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Considering there's the whole thing of a Pre being able to go 7 days until it's forced to update itself, I would think Palm would not want to being doing an update like that once a week.

    I agree, small updates would be great. Just not sure if they can do that or if they have to update it all. If that's the case, I'm thinking no more than every two weeks. And after a few months, there's no telling...
    Definitely true, but I would think making it so you can't just update pieces of code and have to reload the entire ROM is a major design flaw.
  10. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #10  
    I'd hate to see Palm updating every few weeks, at the very most it should be once every 1.5 months. Now personally I love getting updates often, but putting up with the long update install times probably wouldn't fly with the average mobile phone user. To be honest I could barely stand how long it took to update from 1.01 to 1.02, for a minor update it sure took forever!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I'd hate to see Palm updating every few weeks, at the very most it should be once every 1.5 months. Now personally I love getting updates often, but putting up with the long update install times probably wouldn't fly with the average mobile phone user. To be honest I could barely stand how long it took to update from 1.01 to 1.02, for a minor update it sure took forever!
    Yes, but if they were able to release small updates that didn't take long to download and install, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

    This also has the advantage that if for some reason and update they released caused more problems, they could fix it much quicker. I'm not sure if it is possible for them to release small updates, but if they can, they definitely should.
  12. #12  
    Exactly. But there is a good deal that they need to get fixed from this initial version. So maybe they come out with 1.0.3 (or dare I say 1.1.0?) within about a month, then they can take their time with other stuff.
  13. Libb's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Except that as I understand it, the updates come in 70 MB chunks and the process takes a while. I know I'd do the regular updates, but that's sort of cumbersome.

    Be nice if their updates were just clever, bite-sized deb packages instead of full ROM edits.
    I think that first patch was so big because they added the Clock app and reworked some stuff in a bunch of the apps - one would think that future patches would be smaller. After all, 1.0.2 was too small to hold the entire OS in that one patch, since the flash image is about 300MB.
  14. #14  
    For those complaining that updates take to long, COME ON!

    Do the update at night or while you're at work and busy.

    I'm all for Palm putting out updates as often as they can.

    To me that would reassure me that they're not just going to sit on their asses and soak in all this new popularity and leave us "1st round" buyers in the dark.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaniel76 View Post
    For those complaining that updates take to long, COME ON!

    Do the update at night or while you're at work and busy.

    I'm all for Palm putting out updates as often as they can.

    To me that would reassure me that they're not just going to sit on their asses and soak in all this new popularity and leave us "1st round" buyers in the dark.
    YES! Yes to everything.

    just simply let it update during the night, or come here to read some posts while it updates. Also, people would start loving Palm if they released frequent small updates fixing customer issues. It would show that Palm listens to its customers and responds.
  16. #16  
    Don't worry about the length of download/install time, as the Pre is to check for them in off-hours (i.e. the middle of the night when most ppl are sleeping [uhm, not me right now, but I'm not on my Pre]) and do the download/install then.

    You can, of course, also manually have the Pre check for updates by tapping the button in the Updates card. (Hopeful me does this at least once a day, LOL. I'm not having many issues with the Pre, thankfully, but I want the e-mail subfolders issue fixed.)
  17. #17  
    Lol, me too. I hit manual update 2-3 times a day, and I need to stop! I haven't had a single problem with my Pre but I can't wait to see what they change or add in the next update!
  18. #18  
    Yeah, it is like an addictive thing, just wondering and hoping for the magical next update to be released!
  19. Fishous's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #19  
    I don't have any previous experience with Palm and updates, but I am a software developer. It really depends on how many things they want to address in the next update, and how critical the changes are will determine the amount of testing they might want to do before releasing it. Some companies like Microsoft have a very long and extensive testing period before releasing stuff.

    I have done the update on three phones, it goes pretty quickly if you have wi-fi access.
  20. #20  
    What needs to be done is an update immediately. There may be some smaller nagging things that can be updated later as WebOS gets more mature. There are others that need attention NOW (Fluctuating reception being one of the biggest).

    If they don't address these major issues, they are in a world of hurt. There will be plenty of customers who as thier 30 test period ends. Will make a run on the Sprint stores for a return. As it is right now I have a event listing in calendar to return the device if these problems aren't fixed.

    I don't want to, i'd rather keep this but i'ts 20+ days and counting. Other wise it's bye bye Pre, 3G S here I come.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions