Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I cannot believe that someone didn't figure this our before ! its sooo simple.

lets lay out the simple facts:

1) My Pre phone overheated when the phone was new and now it runs perfect all day long with no heating up at all.
    2) My battery run time was extremely low for the first 2 days. it was sucking down battery at an alarming rate.
    3) Now im getting fairly decent battery run times with good usage.
    4) People across many threads are claiming improved battery run times after each day. Why? thats odd. Lipoly batteries dont need conditioning at all. I should know i own Electric Remote Control Airplanes Cheap RTF RC Planes For kids, Ready to Fly Planes and i sell hundreds of lipolys per year for RC airplanes.

Here is the simple answer, and yes i am a genius!

The simple fact that we all setup multiple email accounts when 1st getting the phone, as well as google sync! For some reason the palm pre is a little different than a blackberry. The blackberry will only pull NEW emails from the day it was setup. The palm being a little more advanced pulls all emails from any account you setup. I have hundreds of emails in all my accounts....
    (fyi...There is also a major issue with hotmail, and another issue when using Gmail to forward any email accounts outside of gmail.....) The palm pre synced over 1000 emails from my hotmail account and surprised it didnt blow up. It did all this plus two aol accounts while i was texting, surfing and using the phone as normal.

Im pretty confident that my conclusion is correct. I ask those in this forum to test my theory and re-install any and every email account they have. They will see the phone heat up like crazy and suck down battery....

Anyway im very happy now and yes im still going to get the seido 1350 extended battery....you could never have too much money or too much battery! LOL!
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208 View Post
    The palm pre synced over 1000 emails from my hotmail account and surprised it didnt blow up. It did all this plus two aol accounts while i was texting, surfing and using the phone as normal.
    This must be a new feature of the CDMA technology. Getting emails, syncing and using phone at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinang View Post
    My Pre has had some issues with getting warm but seemed to get worse every day. It seemed to not hold a charge at all and would get so warm you could not touch it I have had plenty of phones and I know what warm is due to overuse and heat so bad you don't want to use it. I took it out to the Sprint store tonight. They took it to the back said oh there is a "short" in the battery here is a new battery. Now call me crazy but I just wanted a new phone just to be safe not knowing if the "short" and superheat had done any damage to my phone. My phone was getting superhot even when I was not using it and it was just sitting there. Instead of them being nice at the Sprint store they told me all they could do was give me a new battery. They did not even offer to keep the phone and charge it for an hour to see if it would get superwarm with the supposed "new" battery or with the phone being in use.. I think what made me more upset was the way they were treating me like I was a dumb girl lying and overreacting about how hot the phone was getting..I love the features on the phone but after 1 & 1/2 hours in the Sprint store only to be treated like an ***** and told they could not exchange the phone I was ready to return the phone =(
    I ended up leaving with a new phone that mysteriously does NOT get warm when in use or when charging!
    Happy with my new non hot palm pre.. not so happy with the Sprint store.. and yes it is a corporate "ready now" store
    she replaced phone and resynced same accounts and 2nd phone did not get "hot". there goes your theory.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    FYI, im just did a HARD reset on my phone. What's amazing is that the phone remembered all email and gmail accounts and is re-syncing everything as we speak! And yes its boiling hot. Keep in mind that this phone syncs in the background during your day, not many phones can do that..... this phone is seriously the most advanced phone i have ever owned.

rgds

MM
    Another thing to note is that LiIon batteries do not like heat. If they are warmed they will loose their charge.
    Interesting theory but not everyone's battery life has improved. I'm on my 5th full day with the phone and my battery life still stinks.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    It very well could be many batteries are sustaining permanent damage from the initial heat wave. NOTE that a Lipoly batteries can easily get damage from just one time of abuse. Overheating, overcharging, over dis-charging will damage a lipoly from even one time. Lipoly batteries are not forgiving like nicads or Nihms. I know because im in this business for over 9 years in RC toys....
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Another thing to note is that LiIon batteries do not like heat. If they are warmed they will loose their charge.
    your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
    Interesting theory but not everyone's battery life has improved. I'm on my 5th full day with the phone and my battery life still stinks.
    Well that just means that your a VERY popular person and have a TON of emails!

Actually I've used mine going on two days now and haven't used it enough to say whether the battery life has gotten better or not. All I know is my opinion is going to be biased because I always tend to base every phone off of how long my Blackberry Curve's battery would last. I do have to say though this phone's battery can already run circles around the Touch Pro or Touch Diamond... Those phones are amazing in their own right however the battery life should be measured in minutes... not hours on them.
    It very well could be many batteries are sustaining permanent damage from the initial heat wave. NOTE that a Lipoly batteries can easily get damage from just one time of abuse. Overheating, overcharging, over dis-charging will damage a lipoly from even one time. Lipoly batteries are not forgiving like nicads or Nihms. I know because im in this business for over 9 years in RC toys....
    palm has been using lithium ion batteries for a long time. this is not new technology!

there's something more sinister at work here. my guess is a perfect storm of cheap materials, poor design, poor testing, poor quality control, a power hungry and inefficient OS and hardware, and an undersized battery.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    i disagree
    It seems to me that the experiences described here are not much different than we have observed with other recent Palm releases. ie Many complaints in the first few days followed by reports of improvement to acceptable levels after about a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    palm has been using lithium ion batteries for a long time. this is not new technology!

there's something more sinister at work here. my guess is a perfect storm of cheap materials, poor design, poor testing, poor quality control, a power hungry and inefficient OS and hardware, and an undersized battery.
    Its so poor that you're still on here byotching about it. Must be more inefficient than I thought!

Wow. That certainly is a lot of negativity. So... why were you hanging out with all us silly folks at PreCentral again?

My battery life has also improved, but I don't think it could be the e-mail accounts issue. I have actually added accounts since day one...
    Interesting. When the iPhone came out a few years back offering cutting-edge technology in conjunction with crappy battery life (mitigated by a curiously familiar list of settings that can be found here: Apple - Batteries - iPhone) was that a perfect storm as well?

Hell, December last year I actually started leaning toward the iPhone, but the two things that held me back were the lack of a physical keyboard and a battery that barely lasts a day that I can't even swap or replace.

Christ.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I noticed something unusual this morning...

Normally, by the end of the day, my battery life is at about 25% when I put it back on the charger (on the charger from ~midnight - 7:30AM).

This morning, when I got to work, my phone wouldn't browse the web saying that the network was unavailable. I wasn't sure what was causing it but I had work to do so I put it down and didn't touch it agian until lunch. By lunchtime today, I had already used 60% of the battery (40% left) and the thing was warm to the touch...just from sitting there idle.

I did a power cycle (held the power button till it actually shut off, not just the screen) and when it booted, it didn't heat up again the rest of the day and used normal battery.

The difference today from all the other days? I connected very briefly, and then disconnected from my work wifi while I was still within the signal range before I had put it down. Normally, when at home on wifi, I never disconnect, I just let it disconnect on its own when I drive far enough away from the house.

Perhaps there is a bug in the manual disconnect from wifi (or in the disconnect procedure in general) that causes this. I'll test it again tomorrow..

For the record, my phone never heats up when on my home wifi and sitting idle.
    you guys realize its not the battery itself thats getting hot correct. its the board below the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Diako View Post
    you guys realize its not the battery itself thats getting hot correct. its the board below the battery
    hmmmmmmmnnnnn good point. maybe it's the infamous TI Processor that's burning up for some love???
    I cannot believe that someone didn't figure this our before ! its sooo simple.

lets lay out the simple facts:

1) My Pre phone overheated when the phone was new and now it runs perfect all day long with no heating up at all.
    2) My battery run time was extremely low for the first 2 days. it was sucking down battery at an alarming rate.
    3) Now im getting fairly decent battery run times with good usage.
    4) People across many threads are claiming improved battery run times after each day. Why? thats odd. Lipoly batteries dont need conditioning at all. I should know i own Electric Remote Control Airplanes Cheap RTF RC Planes For kids, Ready to Fly Planes and i sell hundreds of lipolys per year for RC airplanes.
    Well, just to clarify, the Palm Pre does not use a Lithium-Polymer battery as you stated. It uses a Lithium-Ion battery. I wish someone would make a Li-polymer for it though.

Anyway!

It's true that lithium batteries do not need conditioning; however Smart Li-Ion Batteries, like the Pre uses, have a built in chip that estimates charge levels. It very occasionally needs to be reset with a full power to zero power to full charge run.
    theory makes sense. but does that apply if you only synced 3 days of email?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast