Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre has had some issues with getting warm but seemed to get worse every day. It seemed to not hold a charge at all and would get so warm you could not touch it I have had plenty of phones and I know what warm is due to overuse and heat so bad you don't want to use it. I took it out to the Sprint store tonight. They took it to the back said oh there is a "short" in the battery here is a new battery. Now call me crazy but I just wanted a new phone just to be safe not knowing if the "short" and superheat had done any damage to my phone. My phone was getting superhot even when I was not using it and it was just sitting there. Instead of them being nice at the Sprint store they told me all they could do was give me a new battery. They did not even offer to keep the phone and charge it for an hour to see if it would get superwarm with the supposed "new" battery or with the phone being in use.. I think what made me more upset was the way they were treating me like I was a dumb girl lying and overreacting about how hot the phone was getting..I love the features on the phone but after 1 & 1/2 hours in the Sprint store only to be treated like an ***** and told they could not exchange the phone I was ready to return the phone =(
    I ended up leaving with a new phone that mysteriously does NOT get warm when in use or when charging!
    Happy with my new non hot palm pre.. not so happy with the Sprint store.. and yes it is a corporate "ready now" store
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    just out of curiousity did you have Hotmail or AIM synced on that phone?
    I have noticed my phone getting pretty warm while using Sprint Nav as well.
  4.    #4  
    No hotmail.. no aim.. no navigation.. i seriously deleted everything from my phone and it still got flaming hot.. with the new phone it is just a tiny bit warm when using it and that is after a long period of time .. makes me wish I would have taken the charger out at the sprint store and charged it while waiting forever so then maybe they would not have treated me like I was dumb! I wonder what would have happened if there was a "short" in the battery as they said if I kept charging it?
  5.    #5  
    another interesting fact.. first pre box I had was black and had to have software update.. this pre box is yellow and had updated software..hhmmm makes me wonder
  6.    #6  
    Yeah my new Pre is perfect .... amazed at how awsome the phone is when it does not feel like its ready to blow up from the heat
    glad to hear it!

It is too bad IR thermometers arnt common or we could all combine to determine a real normal operating temperature for the Pre.
    Is your GPS on? My heat problems went away when i turned off my GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmKing View Post
    Is your GPS on? My heat problems went away when i turned off my GPS.
    It's a good idea to know what the culprit was, but even if that were the cause, the solution is not to turn off GPS. The solution is to get a phone you can't use to iron your clothes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My Pre was like that straight out of the box (one of the yellow ones with latest firmware installed all ready). We got 3 total and mine was the only one acting this way. The battery drained quickly and was just to hot to hold. Pulled the cover and it was actually the area below the battery that was hot. After having the phone go from 37% to 5% in a 20 min drive, I did a full reset on the phone. The problem has not returned since and the restoring from Palm Profile made the process that much nicer. The only thing I had installed was Exchange email and a few apps...no hotmail and no AIM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman360 View Post
    My Pre was like that straight out of the box (one of the yellow ones with latest firmware installed all ready). We got 3 total and mine was the only one acting this way. The battery drained quickly and was just to hot to hold. Pulled the cover and it was actually the area below the battery that was hot. After having the phone go from 37% to 5% in a 20 min drive, I did a full reset on the phone. The problem has not returned since and the restoring from Palm Profile made the process that much nicer. The only thing I had installed was Exchange email and a few apps...no hotmail and no AIM.
    I tried reset that did not work =( everything was turned off on the phone that could be turned off.. even if the phone was just sitting there not in use it felt like it was on fire...the only was the phone was not on fire was when it was shut off after having the new phone for almost a day I know it was more than just a small issue with the phone and/or battery..
    the new phone is awsome =)
    my first one was hot, my 2nd one is also hot both with battery drain issues. i'm on the waitlist for my 3rd one..

the one I bought for my wife on saturday is perfectly cool with amazing battery life. 9am-2pm and still 87% with some facebook and a few emails.

i'm in the process of a hard reset, battery drain, and recharge as suggested in another thread.. sigh..
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    glad to hear it!

It is too bad IR thermometers arnt common or we could all combine to determine a real normal operating temperature for the Pre.
    I have an IR temp gauge and my first bad Pre got up to 118F when charging. The batt life was poor and the screen had issue (this one was in a black box). Sprint replaced the device (new one in white/yellow box) and it doesn't get hot at all. Batt life is so much better. I think the devices that are getting hot are the ones with batt issues and are part of a defective batch of Pre's.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    I think the devices that are getting hot are the ones with batt issues and are part of a defective batch of Pre's.
    I wish it was that easy.
    My wife got the yellow/white box.
    Its hot.
    Now removing hotmail.
    If that fixes it, then i know the problem we have is not the battery, its a bug in the sync of hotmail.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    I wish it was that easy.
    My wife got the yellow/white box.
    Its hot.
    Now removing hotmail.
    If that fixes it, then i know the problem we have is not the battery, its a bug in the sync of hotmail.
    Be interesting to hear what you find with Hotmail. I don't have hotmail so that couldn't have been the issue for my bad pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinang View Post
    another interesting fact.. first pre box I had was black and had to have software update.. this pre box is yellow and had updated software..hhmmm makes me wonder
    Same here. Mine was a black box, wife's was a yellow box. I had old software, she had new. Bought both at the same time though.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i have the heat issue also white box makes me wonnder going to try a few things if they work ill let you guys know
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The solution is to get a phone you can't use to iron your clothes.
    No, see, "clothes iron" is a FEATURE of the Pre! It is great for ppl who travel often.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Hmmm, what is this yellow box people speak of, my box was white same color as the touchstone and leather pouch boxes. I still had to update to the new firmware also.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Just got mine yesterday afternoon, and today was first full day of use. As I posted in a GPS thread, my brief use of GPS this evening ran the battery from 53% to 40% in less than 10 minutes... had to turn it off. To boot, the battery's been warm anytime I do anything relatively intensive. I just plugged it in now to recharge, and it's scorching hot. No Hotmail account, so that's not it. Did turn off the GPS (I had it turned off, but it seems to stay on after you've used it for turn-by-turn, FYI). Still, as west3man says, what's the point of having a feature on your phone if you have to turn it off for decent battery life. Finally, mine was yellow/white box, with 1.0.2 software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast