Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Ok, So I have Geotagging turned on in my location services...

but how do I actually retrieve the information? Should it be typed onto the pictures (like some cameras print a date)? Or should it be in the file properties? Or do I need some software on my computer to pull the info out of the file itself?

What Am I missing here?
    Check the EXIF data

google how to do it
    I used google picasa but when I uploaded pictures from a golf course (memorial tournament), it showed up as it was taken at my house - from my wifi..
    It's in the EXIF data, embedded in the jpeg file. iPhoto & other programs can display it, if you upload to sites like Flickr, the photo will automagically show up on the map.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    thanks for the tip on the exif viewer.

so I've got an exif viewer (actually already had one) and figured out howto get the gps location out of it. It seems to work. It pinpointed pretty accurately the walking trail I was on when I took the picture in question.

The other problem I ran into was that initially, I was trying to get the exif info out of the photos I had uploaded to photobucket. Apparently either photobucket or the pre automaticly strips that information out of the file before uploading. I had to plug it into my computer and pull directly off the phone...

Don't suppose there is anyway to tell it not to strip that info out is there? I was kinda hoping to setup a "this is where I've been" album on photobucket without having to edit too much information about it...

john, while searching before posting, I came across a bit of information that indicated the phone isn't always able to update it's gps location from the cell phone signal. which means that you probably happened that the last time your phone was able to get an accurate GPS location was when you were at home. or perhaps you shut off the gps in location services and the camera app isn't smart enough to turn it back on (or prompt you for it) before you take photos...Just a couple guesses since it seemed to work fine for me...
    Yeah, flickr will let you add to map by clicking that option and then confirming the location on a map based on gps coords.
    Use Flickr. Geotagging support is guilt-in, and it will even show all the photos right on the map. See here, for example: Flickr: Explore photos from jakerome's Catalina Marathon 2009-- In race photos set on the map
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    do you guys upload to flikr straight from the phone?

I would guess via email?

If so, I wonder if photobucket will do the same if you don't use the built in uploader and just email them instead...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    On second thought...I'm just crazy...the info isnt getting stripped out of the photos at all...the first viewer I tried couldn't see the gps info and I assumed it wasn't there since the copy of the image I pulled off the phone was larger than the one downloaded from photobucket. turns out it was there all along..