Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figured I'd do the right thing and buy the official Palm car charger from Palms website, however, it doesn't seem to be working very well at all. I tried keeping my Pre topped off with juice during the day when ever I am busy driving around. Most of my trips are at least 20 to 30 minutes, and you'd figure in that time, it should be able to add a few % to the charge. I didn't pay all that much attention as to how little the charger added to the charge while I was driving my truck during the day, but tonight I took my car for a 20 minute right. The battery was low, at 8%, the phone reported it was charging, and the little blue LED on the charger was on. When I got home, my battery read.... 8%, this is with no phone calls or anything like that, just the phone sitting there with the charger plugged in indicating it was charging.

I then went home and took the USB cable out of the car charger plug and plugged the phone into my computer. After less than 2 minutes, it was up to 9% already, and that included my typing a text message during that time. In the 5 mins it took me to type this so far, the battery is already up to 12%.

So what's up with that? Does anyone else have a problem with the car charger Palm so proudly sells for 30 bucks?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Haven't tried mine yet honestly.. will give it a shot tomorrow and post here.
  3.    #3  
    Sweet, yeah let me know! Also, are you a black box or yellow box Pre, and do you have the discoloration at the lower part of the screen?
    i bought it but sent it back since i returned my Pre. i did try it out though and found it a poorly designed poor quality cheap and flimsy contraption. and it didn't charge my phone at all. and it got stuck in my cigarette lighter. i managed to finally pull it out but blistered my finger in the process. POS.

maybe you should try Sprint's Pre car charger???

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Haven't noticed the amount (or lack of) charge while on car charger. Will pay attention in the future.

My biggest complaint about it so far is the length of the cord. Where the plug is in my car, the cord isn't long enough for the phone to reach my ear.
    IMO this is a much better design -

thread moved to "Accessories" in 3-2-1......
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I figured I'd do the right thing and buy the official Palm car charger from Palms website, however, it doesn't seem to be working very well at all. I tried keeping my Pre topped off with juice during the day when ever I am busy driving around. Most of my trips are at least 20 to 30 minutes, and you'd figure in that time, it should be able to add a few % to the charge. I didn't pay all that much attention as to how little the charger added to the charge while I was driving my truck during the day, but tonight I took my car for a 20 minute right. The battery was low, at 8%, the phone reported it was charging, and the little blue LED on the charger was on. When I got home, my battery read.... 8%, this is with no phone calls or anything like that, just the phone sitting there with the charger plugged in indicating it was charging.

I then went home and took the USB cable out of the car charger plug and plugged the phone into my computer. After less than 2 minutes, it was up to 9% already, and that included my typing a text message during that time. In the 5 mins it took me to type this so far, the battery is already up to 12%.

So what's up with that? Does anyone else have a problem with the car charger Palm so proudly sells for 30 bucks?
    little blue LED on the charger??? where is there a light on the Pre car charger??? are you sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    little blue LED on the charger??? where is there a light on the Pre car charger??? are you sure?
    mine has a blue led also. I didn't pay attention to how well it worked though. I guess I just assumed it was being charged. I'll check tomorrow. BTW, mine is tight as hell in the cigarette lighter plug.
  9.    #9  
    Mine is super tight too. The first time I put in my truck, the phone would not recognize the charger because it wasn't plugged in far enough. I will test it again later today.
    Are you guys using the Sprint one with the glowing logo?
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Are you guys using the Sprint one with the glowing logo?
    I'm using that one. It works fine for me. I charged it at 48% last night and on a 30 minute drive it went up to about 70% charge.
    After 2 days of testing, I can confirm that neither one of my (2) Palm branded chargers (model #3453ww) will charge my Pre. I've tried them in 3 different cars with the same results. The phone recognizes the charger and indicates that it is being charged, but the percentage charged on the phone never changes. The blue light on the charger is on.

Anyone else?
    Wouldn't one of these do the trick? I.E. just plug in the USB cable that came with the wall charger?
    I hope it not all chargers cuz I ordered my charger from Palm on Monday and I hate going through the process of sending items back!
    Yeah, I'd like to hear the results of testing. I have the Sprint branded one right now, which works well, but I was thinking of getting the Palm one and returning the Sprint one so I could maybe put a touchstone in the car. The Sprint charger will not fit in the touchstone, right?
    I have the sprint labeled one that I got from ebay and have had no problems with it. ITs the OEM one and works fine.
    I have been using Sprint's model with the glowing logo. I am getting about 1% of power per 1 minute of charge time. My ride home is about 20 minutes and I am leaving the office with about 45% juice and getting home with between 65% and 70%.

Plus I really think the design of the Sprint charger is much better than Palm's.
    I have the Sprint charger. It does charge. I was going to return it for a Palm one but maybe I shouldn't. I don't like the fact the palm one is hard wired, I would rather have one that plugged in as usb. Also I think I have an old Treo Pro car charger somewhere, I noticed my treo pro regular charger works well with the Pre, and it has international plugs.
    I really like the Palm brand charger, but mine has a white LED, not blue? where did you guys get the blue LED one? Also, mine gets really tight as well in the cigarette lighter plug; no problem for me, since I just keep it there. As of charging; mine does charge with no problems so far, I'll keep an eye for anything.

BTW: I exchange the cables that came in the box with my Pre and the one from the car charger.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I've got the Sprint charger, works fine.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast