Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

You can see in Gekko's pic, the LED is white on the Palm car charger.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    So, in general, are car chargers all pretty standard in terms of output? I notice that the Sprint charger I have (for something, can't remember what) is 5V/0.85A while the Palm version is (I think) 5V/1A. Shouldn't be a problem that it's underpowered, right, except that it might not charge well? I mean, it won't damage the Pre, correct?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I wired the sprint charger into a touchstone mounted on my dash... Works perfect for charging bluetooth calls and bluetooth music
  4.    #24  
    Ok, so it looks like there are defective Palm chargers out there! And of course, as luck would have it, not only do I get a Pre with the blotchy white spots at the bottom of the screen, I get a defective charger as well. Go figure. Guess I'll get on the horn with Palm tomorrow!
    I got mine at the Sprint store where I got the Pre and it doesn't even fit the Pre's slot.

So I have to return it. I almost damaged the usb slot trying to force it in, think I was doing something wrong.

I wasn't, it just wasn't for the Pre.

These sales guys should have known this before selling it to me.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    As others have posted I tested mine and I get slightly less than 1% per minute of charge on the Sprint charger.
    I bought a car charger from sprint and it almost gave a full charge within 45min so i dont know what you bought but I bought one made for Pre. cost me 29.99
    Stargate thats not the one i bought. Mine says PALM COMPATIBLE MICRO-USB VEGICLE CHARGER, by Sprint
    My sprint branded car charger stopped working today... it was purchased the same day as the Pre launch.

Touchstone still works like a champ though.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i bought it but sent it back since i returned my Pre. i did try it out though and found it a poorly designed poor quality cheap and flimsy contraption. and it didn't charge my phone at all. and it got stuck in my cigarette lighter. i managed to finally pull it out but blistered my finger in the process. POS.

maybe you should try Sprint's Pre car charger???
    Glad I found this thread....

I got my Palm Pre charger, directly from the Palm website

It is now stuck to my cigarette lighter...since i plugged in to the outlet underneath my arm rest, it is nearly imposible to get it out

Not sure why it is stuck...most be a poor design. The first time I plugged it in, it wasn't far enough so when I pushed it, it got stuck

I will be calling Palm on Monday once I manager to remove it (probably with a plyer) to get a return

I'm thinking a knock off model charger might be better...
    I have the palm one with the removable USB cord. I actually had bought the Sprint one but saw the USB one online before I opened the Sprint one. I thought the USB Palm one would be better since I can hook my phone up to my Pioneer stereo via USB and listen to the music on it that way. This way I only had to have one cable in my car for both options. Anyway, it will charge but only if WiFi is off and I'm not using the phone. If I use it for much of anything I'm lucky if it will just hold the charge where it was when I got in the car. BUMMER! Are there the Pre USB chargers that actually work? If so I'm taking mine back to best buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cltpre View Post
    Glad I found this thread....

I got my Palm Pre charger, directly from the Palm website

It is now stuck to my cigarette lighter...since i plugged in to the outlet underneath my arm rest, it is nearly imposible to get it out

Not sure why it is stuck...most be a poor design. The first time I plugged it in, it wasn't far enough so when I pushed it, it got stuck

I will be calling Palm on Monday once I manager to remove it (probably with a plyer) to get a return

I'm thinking a knock off model charger might be better...
    my outlet was below my armrest too (Lexus). i used a rubber jar opener to try to grab and pull it out and ultimately used pliers along with the jar opener to yank it out. i didn't want to damage it and the rubber square protected my car and the charger from the pliers.

good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    You can see in Gekko's pic, the LED is white on the Palm car charger.
    that white is not a light - it's reflected light shine as part of the graphic.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
    I wired the sprint charger into a touchstone mounted on my dash... Works perfect for charging bluetooth calls and bluetooth music
    SO glad to hear this works! I really want to get this set up going too. But what is the best product for streaming music from the pre through your car's stereo if you don't have a 3.5 headphone jack built into your car's audio system? Is there something that will stream music via bluetooth? I was thinking of maybe a Jabra bluetooth product.
    My Pre charged fine and fast on the Sprint branded charger the first couple of days. Now it does not charge at all. It also will not charge at all, and drains until dead, when plugged directly into a computer USB port as Palm says it will (although they do say it will be a lot slower). I should note the Pre reports that it is charging while pugged into either.

The weird part is that this happened after a few days and may be directly related to trying to charge it directly on the USB port, as this is when I discovered the car charge was failing because I went out to the car to charge since the USB to PC was failing.

Kind of sucks. I bought the Pre on it's first release day despite my gut feeling to wait for the bugs to be ironed out. Should have known better than to get caught up on the hype.
    Last edited by Loanarranger1; 06/14/2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Addition
    OK, I went to device options and chose reset option and chose restart device. I then proceeded to run an interactive power test and then the general quick test. After I did those three things, of course I don't know which, or if any of the three repaired the issue, but I went from 16% to 56% charge in about 25 minutes.

Problem solved! Note: the charger was very hot when it finally started charging. I should also note that removing the battery and restarting with the power button before this did nothing to resolve the issue.
    Last edited by Loanarranger1; 06/14/2009 at 06:44 PM.
  17.    #37  
    So I called Palm. Got some asian woman on the phone that liked having simple things like my phone number and address repeated at least 3 times.

Anyhow...I told her that the charger is not working and that I had just bought it online directly from them. So naturally she asks when I bought it, and I told her the date and order number on the invoice, and she notes "oh...you just bought it!" right there I knew I was screwed. Anyhow, once again she asks me what the problem was, and again I told her that it wouldn't charge. Before she could say anymore, I told her that the led on the charger is lit up and that the phone indicates that it is charging. Naturally, her next logical question was why I thought it wasn't charging. Without being a smartass, I told her "because the battery level went down 1% while I was driving for 30 minutes with the phone plugged in. So then she asks me if I knew for sure that my car is capable of charging a mobile device ..... me thinking *are you freaking serious?*..... so I said...yes it is, and I tried it in both my car and my truck. Then she wants to know whether I have ever charged a mobile device in my car. You are kidding me now, right? LOL... I mean.....who writes Palms Tech support playbook? So I told her, yes, I have done that before, with a cheap Radio Shack charger and it worked perfectly. Well of course she couldn't do much about it on a saturday, so she told me someone will call me in the next 24 to 48 hours to arrange to get another one shipped to me. When I told her how unhappy I was about this slow process, she had nothing comforting to say. Wouldn't surprise me if they'd ship that thing with the pony express or something slow like that. Anyhow....at this point I am trying to tell her that I don't even want a new one and that I just want a refund....and she says "oh we don't do refunds, only exchanges". Great...I hope that's not true, because that damn charger is so tight in there, it takes two hands and some serious pull to get it out of the outlet, and when I mean serious pull, I mean the console is moving!

I hope I can talk to someone more stateside and someone that is willing to give me a refund soon!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Got the Sprint charger with glowing logo at Sprint store on launch day . . . it worked only intermittently, so I went back to exchange it. Second one has worked like a champ ever since.
    Sprint Pre user since June 2009. Previously a long time Treo user (600, 650, 700p and 755p). Will probably be changing to Android or iPhone if Sprint does not offer Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Wouldn't one of these do the trick? I.E. just plug in the USB cable that came with the wall charger?
    I took one of my 3rd party car chargers that uses the USB cord ( I think it was for my Zune, R.I.P.) and got one of the micro USB 6ft cables from Office Depot, their Activa brand, and it works fine. Since I had the car charger and only paid 15 bucks for an extra cable I was satisfied. BTW the cable syncs and charges. I really don't need it but I did this for the wife and it is doing her quite well on her day trips. I've heard some people say the non-Palm micro USB cords don't always work...well, this one does.
    Oh well, mine is the one picture on gekkos post (and YES, mine has a white LED, no "reflection"; I'm not blind you know!), and it works just fine, yea it gets stuck in the cigg. lighter, but no problem, I keep it there, for the house I have the one that came in the box with my Pre. And the one in the car charges as fast as the house one (pretty fast), so, don't really understand all the complaints from a lot of you here. Anyway, good luck finding the right car charger to all.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast