Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Dear Palm,

I judge a lot of things by relative timeframe. I may not know exactly what time it is (I think it's because my internal clock got exposed to a giant hard drive magnet as a kid), so I tend to use events as the constant. For instance, a couple minutes after the giant condor flew over head, I got a text message. Or, just as I was got off the phone call, the dingo took my baby. You get the idea. I use those events as the basis for judging pasWell, I hoped my frustrations in using relative time would be over after I ditched my iPhone, but I guess the execs at Apple (whoops! I mean Palm) decided that my frustrations would live on in my newly birthed Palm Pre.

Here's the thing: I need you to do what other phones have done for years, and put date and time stamps on messages and phone calls. What's that? You say they're already on the phone calls? My apologies- I'd like the the duration of that phone call as well. Is that ok? Can your super-busy software engineers take that same variable that is there when my phone call ends, and somehow put that same variable on the recent call log? Oh- and you know how the phone and the carrier (everybody except me, it seems) know when I send a text message? Well, I want to know that time too.

DON'T FREAKIN' MAKE ME ANGRY PALM!!! I'm sorry- I don't mean to yell, it's just that it's hard to defend your guys' choices when just basic things don't exist. I ditched Apple's iPhone because of their inability to understand and implement the most basic of functions into their Jesus-Phone, and I don't want to have made the same mistake of trusting a company that has no desire to keep me as a customer. I know there are other things you guys are dealing with, so when (if) that inevitable update comes (just thinking it makes me all tingly!), PLEASE make this simple request one of your additions.

And, ummmm, Palm? How 'bout a Pre feature request form, kinda like how our President does on certain things. It makes us feel better to know that YOU know what our biggest issues are. K? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Your average, regular customer.
    Take your meds today, bud?
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Dear Palm,

I judge a lot of things by relative timeframe. I may not know exactly what time it is (I think it's because my internal clock got exposed to a giant hard drive magnet as a kid), so I tend to use events as the constant. For instance, a couple minutes after the giant condor flew over head, I got a text message. Or, just as I was got off the phone call, the dingo took my baby. You get the idea. I use those events as the basis for judging pasWell, I hoped my frustrations in using relative time would be over after I ditched my iPhone, but I guess the execs at Apple (whoops! I mean Palm) decided that my frustrations would live on in my newly birthed Palm Pre.

Here's the thing: I need you to do what other phones have done for years, and put date and time stamps on messages and phone calls. What's that? You say they're already on the phone calls? My apologies- I'd like the the duration of that phone call as well. Is that ok? Can your super-busy software engineers take that same variable that is there when my phone call ends, and somehow put that same variable on the recent call log? Oh- and you know how the phone and the carrier (everybody except me, it seems) know when I send a text message? Well, I want to know that time too.

DON'T FREAKIN' MAKE ME ANGRY PALM!!! I'm sorry- I don't mean to yell, it's just that it's hard to defend your guys' choices when just basic things don't exist. I ditched Apple's iPhone because of their inability to understand and implement the most basic of functions into their Jesus-Phone, and I don't want to have made the same mistake of trusting a company that has no desire to keep me as a customer. I know there are other things you guys are dealing with, so when (if) that inevitable update comes (just thinking it makes me all tingly!), PLEASE make this simple request one of your additions.

And, ummmm, Palm? How 'bout a Pre feature request form, kinda like how our President does on certain things. It makes us feel better to know that YOU know what our biggest issues are. K? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Your average, regular customer.
    Sounds like you leapt before you looked. Why didn't you do a bit more research before buying a product just as it launched?? Had you waited a few days, you could have calmly assessed all the functions of the phone that are important to you. NEVER presume that the features you want will come to the phone soon. Look how long it took for Apple to provide cut and paste! LOL! 2 freakin' YEARS!!! AAMOF, as I write this, there still is no cut and paste. It comes with 3.0 of the iPhone OS, due out later this month. Incredible, but true. Get a clue, from how slowly some much-wanted updates finally (if EVER) make it to market. Just because you and a few others (or even thousands) want a feature, don't presume that the mfgr will provide it.
    My Treo on Verizon showed call duration in the call logs, but my Centro on Sprint doesn't. I think it's Sprint's decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    My Treo on Verizon showed call duration in the call logs, but my Centro on Sprint doesn't. I think it's Sprint's decision.
    I highly doubt that since the blackberrys on sprint show call duration. Maybe its the OS.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They already have a hack to add them - was a thread on it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Sounds like you leapt before you looked. Why didn't you do a bit more research before buying a product just as it launched?? Had you waited a few days, you could have calmly assessed all the functions of the phone that are important to you. NEVER presume that the features you want will come to the phone soon. Look how long it took for Apple to provide cut and paste! LOL! 2 freakin' YEARS!!! AAMOF, as I write this, there still is no cut and paste. It comes with 3.0 of the iPhone OS, due out later this month. Incredible, but true. Get a clue, from how slowly some much-wanted updates finally (if EVER) make it to market. Just because you and a few others (or even thousands) want a feature, don't presume that the mfgr will provide it.
    I certainly didn't leap before I looked, as I research everything that I buy. I'm happy with my phone- might I suggest you restrain yourself before giving suggestions? And um, thanks for the life lesson on never presuming, but it's not needed. No offense- but I'm not a kid, and I don't need the lesson.

And since when is having time duration for calls and date/time stamp on messages a "feature"? Ok, maybe it's a "feature", but it's a feature in quotes, for chrissake. Calling that a feature is akin to calling call waiting a feature- it's become such a de facto include, that the lack of it would draw negative attention to it as a lack of a standard item.

Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    They already have a hack to add them - was a thread on it.
    You mind posting it? I can't seem to find it.
    it would be nice... but not worth getting heated over...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Hell yeah! Thanks, man!
    I certainly didn't leap before I looked, as I research everything that I buy. I'm happy with my phone- might I suggest you restrain yourself before giving suggestions? And um, thanks for the life lesson on never presuming, but it's not needed. No offense- but I'm not a kid, and I don't need the lesson.

And since when is having time duration for calls and date/time stamp on messages a "feature"? Ok, maybe it's a "feature", but it's a feature in quotes, for chrissake. Calling that a feature is akin to calling call waiting a feature- it's become such a de facto include, that the lack of it would draw negative attention to it as a lack of a standard item.

You mind posting it? I can't seem to find it.

Again, you DID presume that the phone had features you deemed as "de facto standards". That's still PRESUMPTUOUS. Better to ask the salesman or determine prior to purchase that the phone has what you need instead of whining like a schoolgirl on a forum that you bought a phone that doesn't do everything you expected it to do. Heck, the Pre doesn't even do voice dialing yet and that's pretty much a "defacto standard" one could argue...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Again, you DID presume that the phone had features you deemed as "de facto standards". That's still PRESUMPTUOUS. Better to ask the salesman or determine prior to purchase that the phone has what you need instead of whining like a schoolgirl on a forum that you bought a phone that doesn't do everything you expected it to do. Heck, the Pre doesn't even do voice dialing yet and that's pretty much a "defacto standard" one could argue...
    "Whining like a schoolgirl"? I'd rather ***** slap you like a ho. When I make a tongue-in-cheek post about a (rather important, imo) missing feature of the phone, do me, and the other people in this forum a favor: don't respond. You're worse than a fanboy of any type, the way you go around unabashedly defending Palm for not including standard items on the phone, and (un)cleverly attacking me for bringing it up.

You want to post about the lack of voice dialing, feel free. But don't take your frustrations out because "mommy didn't love you enough" on me, or my threads. And by the way, 1812dave, dialing a number is a de facto standard as well- do we all have your permission to "whine like a schoolgirl" if a phone doesn't include that? Or do we get to ***** slap you when you make retarded comments about how we should make sure the phone can dial numbers before we buy it?
    And there is also a mod to add the timestamp to every received message:

pre dev wiki: Stock Application Mods

So I guess that you are two for two
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    BTW, adding the call timer was easy...because Palm already had code in there for it. Apparently, they agree...it's a useful (perhaps standard) feature...but Sprint has a long history of asking vendors to disable the timer so they don't get into arguments with customers over noted measuring differences. They round up and may start the timer at a different point than the phone. Most carriers don't care about such differences, but it seems to bug Sprint...so I wouldn't blame Palm for this one.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    BTW, adding the call timer was easy...because Palm already had code in there for it. Apparently, they agree...it's a useful (perhaps standard) feature...but Sprint has a long history of asking vendors to disable the timer so they don't get into arguments with customers over noted measuring differences. They round up and may start the timer at a different point than the phone. Most carriers don't care about such differences, but it seems to bug Sprint...so I wouldn't blame Palm for this one.
    You're right- I've heard that before. Odd though. I'm on the unlimited plan, so it wouldn't matter much anyway. Most carriers (all of them, save Sprint?) let you know that their billing is different than what your phone may say, but from what I hear, customer service is not Sprint's strong suit, so maybe this saves them some heartache.

At any rate, sure glad it can be enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    And there is also a mod to add the timestamp to every received message:

pre dev wiki: Stock Application Mods

So I guess that you are two for two
    Heh, I guess I am (thanks for the link, btw). I tried to do that mod, but I'm trying to figure out how to edit the files using vi. But yeah- I guess I am two for two. See, I'm not crazy!!
    You're right- I've heard that before. Odd though. I'm on the unlimited plan, so it wouldn't matter much anyway. Most carriers (all of them, save Sprint?) let you know that their billing is different than what your phone may say, but from what I hear, customer service is not Sprint's strong suit, so maybe this saves them some heartache.

At any rate, sure glad it can be enabled.

Heh, I guess I am (thanks for the link, btw). I tried to do that mod, but I'm trying to figure out how to edit the files using vi. But yeah- I guess I am two for two. See, I'm not crazy!!

VI advice for this mod:

• Before opening the file, remount the file system as writable
    • :xx - goes to a line number in VI
    • i - starts VI insert mode, ESC exits it
    • :wq - save the file and exit VI
    Odd though. I'm on the unlimited plan, so it wouldn't matter much anyway.
    1) The code is rather static after it is written and pushed to the phone...and normally doesn't include features to hide and show things based on your current plan.

2) Travel to Mexico or Canada and see how unlimited that plan is. My guess is that you will be counting minutes there.

I do agree though, a simple caveat on the bill would suffice.

cheers,
    Steve