View Poll Results: Are you having signal problems with your pre (voice or data)?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - this is worse than any other sprint phone I have seen

70 55.56%
  • no - what are people complaining about anyway?

56 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    There are several threads in this forum where users are reporting a variety of signal issues with the pre. It is unclear if this is a systematic problem with the device, or a quality control issue with a few units. Judging from the fact that these threads have dropped off the top 8 pages of this forum makes me suspect that I have a faulty unit. It would be nice to determine how widespread an issue this is. For example - if widespread, than palm needs to understand this and trouble shoot it. If this a quality control issue, than the users with 'bad phones' should be able to exchange for properly functioning units.

There are various ways this problem has been described:
    1) wide fluctuations in signal strength (bars and rssi from the debug screen). 2) sudden loss of signal (dropped calls, sudden switches to roam despite good signal areas)
    3) data issues such as sudden switches from ev to 1x or loss of data connectivity altogether.

Updating network settings and prl does not seem to help, and while some users have cited hotmail as an issue, it seems to plague many others (myself included) who are not using hotmail.

Mods: it would be nice to merge the various threads on this subject (I have seen at least 4 for example:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...post-here.html
    Last edited by drwillec; 06/12/2009 at 01:10 PM.
    I cant vote either way, b/c its much better then my treo 700p was, but i still get bad reception in places (but everyone else seems to also in these same places) and i fixed one of those places (my apt.) with the free airave sprint sent me when i called and complained on tuesday. maybe add a few more choices for, yes, but i can live with it, and yes but everyone eelse has issue in the same place or yes, but its better then my old phone
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Signal Strength (both call and data) is excellent (4-5 bars constantly) here in Seattle, WA.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    in only 8 minutes, this poll already shows nearly 86% responders with bad signal issues. I find this hard to believe. If this is an accurate reflection of the problem, we should be rioting in the streets. Those happy with your signal strength please vote also!!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm really surprised by the lack of signal this baby has. My 755p was always full of bars, but my Pre must be a minor because it's not a friend of bars.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    At home things are pretty good. At work things are bad. I am in a high rise and my 755p didn't have a perfect signal but the Pre is worse. I am constantly jumping randomly from full bars of EVDO to 0 bars of 1x. Turning GPS off has helped battery life, but not the reception. I also switched to EVDO only from Hybrid Rev A. That is showing some promise but I won't know for another 24 hours or for sure.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    in only 8 minutes, this poll already shows nearly 86% responders with bad signal issues. I find this hard to believe. If this is an accurate reflection of the problem, we should be rioting in the streets. Those happy with your signal strength please vote also!!!
    Meh, I'd take poll results about problems with a grain of salt. I know this have been said many times before, but it's mostly people with pissues that comes to the forums to look for solutions or complain. If you're content with what you have, there's little incentive to scour through the forums for problem posts like this.

Not that I'm saying this isn't a real problem. It's a fact that this problem is the real deal and many people are suffering from it. I'm just saying the proportions of people with problems and those without will definitely be skewed towards the former.
    This phone is giving me better signal than my Touch Diamond on Sprint was.
    I have lower bars @home. But I have always been able to call, and never had a dropped call, unlike my g1 and iphone. Work is 4-5 bars. SoOcCali grat coverage so far.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    TMPRIDE, in general I agree with you about skewed results towards people with problems. However, given the limited initial release of the pre, most users were anticipating the release and are highly interested in the emerging new information about this new device available on this forum.
    Again, I do encourage those without problems to be vocal about it. It would not be to anyone's advantage (the user, palm or sprint) if many of us try to fix our problem by demanding a new pre
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    First, I'm not a current Pre user, but I'm on the waiting list at my local Sprint corp. store, and should have my Pre next week, or so I have been told.

My question...is anyone experiencing actual connection/service issues, i.e., dropped calls, inability to connect, etc., or are the posts here indicative of reception "indication" issues?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have been plagued by reception issues: dropped calls, inability to start a call, sudden roaming when in good spring signal areas, sudden loss of evdo and even loss of data connectivity at all. This is a profound problem that, if uncorrectable, will result in me returning the pre (despite my growing fondness for it)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I get pretty bad fluctuations in the signal strength and data indicators.

Have not had any dropped calls though; Keep getting periodic
    heating up in the battery area too.

Hope for a fix soon.
    Yeah, I have noticed a real inconsistency in my reception. When sitting in a spot, the Pre will fluctuate between 3 and 4 bars down to 1 or none. And, a few times I have witnessed it switch to roaming in a spot where I know I have Sprint service. It is probably the most frustrating aspect of the Pre for me so far. Having spent the last 6 years with Verizon, this was something I knew I was going to have to deal with on Sprint; but I think this might be more of a device issue than a network issue.

Another question I'd like to ask regarding the network is does anyone receive data coverage while roaming?? I ask because I tried out the Touch Pro when it came out last year and was able to use date and Sprint TV while roaming on Verizon's network; but so far I have not been able to access data on the Pre when roaming. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    i have significantly worse service in rural areas than i did with my mogul - this is a big deal to me. hopefully, the radio software will be updated soon - because this one sucks.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am also a verizon customer. I haven't used sprint in over a decade. I do not think this is the network, however, as I know many sprint users who do not have this issue with their other phones. I am still uncertain if this is a 'pre' problem or specific to a few handsets. The poll has pretty consistently shown 2/3's of the respondants noting the problem. I suspect those without any problems are not as likely to take the poll.
    Never dropped a call at home, BUT the bars jump from 1x, to EDVO, 1 bar to all bars WHEN friggin EVER!

My Airave just arrived. We'll see what happens.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    Never dropped a call at home, BUT the bars jump from 1x, to EDVO, 1 bar to all bars WHEN friggin EVER!

My Airave just arrived. We'll see what happens.
    This poll, as stated, sucks! But, I do have to say that my experience mirrors your pretty closely. I probably won't opt for the Airwave but I hope this issue gets better.
    I can't vote in this limited poll --- as it's not the best nor the worst Sprint phone I've ever had. I've had worse, I've had better. I haven't had any dropped calls yet, though. It's not as good as my BB Curve (my last phone), but I suspect a lot of these issues will be resolved through an update.
    I have the issue with the bars jumping around and I actually got disconnected twice in about a half hour period. That has never happened to me before and it was a good signal area. I also had my data connection go out and not come back when I entered a good area. I had to reset the phone to get it back (Airplane mode and back did not resolve it)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast