Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hey all,

For those who are interested, I wanted to test out the effect on battery life of being signed into GMail chat, since the forums are filled with claims of terrible battery life when constantly signed in. I was planning on recording battery levels of each configuration for a week, but after a preliminary test of one day per setting I don't think I'll bother. To provide some context, I rarely use my phone when I'm at work (maybe 10 minutes of active usage tops), and I tried to use it approximately the same amount both days so that I would be measuring the Messaging program's battery usage as accurately as possible. I also work next to a window so I get good reception throughout the day (though I do have the jumping bars problem like everyone else). Anyway, here are the results:

Day 1/Day 2 - Not Signed In/Signed In

8am - 100%/100% (unplugged)
    10am - forgot to check/93%
    12pm - 86%/85%
    2pm - 82%/80%
    4pm - 73%/73%
    6pm - 61%/68%

For me at least, being signed into Gmail chat had no effect on battery life. I don't use AIM so I don't know how that would change things, and I'm assuming having worse reception would have an effect as well. Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know - be sure to try it for yourself if you're on the fence about staying signed in.
    Now by signed in, did you leave the app open or no?
    That's interesting. I've debated leaving it signed in or not. Maybe I'll leave myself signed in and give it a try.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Didn't leave the app open, but it does keep you signed in even when the app is closed. Though I use my computer for chatting at work I was still getting notifications on my phone when a new conversation started or an old conversation started up after some idle time. Actually pretty convenient since I keep the sound off on my browser and I'm not always at my computer.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Someone could make an app that tracks whats on and whats being used and the % battery . I'm palm already does this. :/