View Poll Results: Can Signal Strength be fixed through Software Update?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 79.25%
  • No

11 20.75%
  1.    #1  
    Can the signal strength really be fixed by a software update? I thought it was hardware related only.

In any case, Im going to have a poll and see what you guys think. I think it cannot be fixed but im also a MBA not an engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Can the signal strength really be fixed by a software update? I thought it was hardware related only.

In any case, Im going to have a poll and see what you guys think. I think it cannot be fixed but im also a MBA not an engineer
    Who would even know this besides palm? We can all say "In my experience yes, or no," but only Palm knows the potential of their device right?
    This isnt a question any of us can answer but most phones get software updates when there is a reeception issue. But again since we dont know the cause there no way for anyone to know other then Palm.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Who would even know this besides palm? We can all say "In my experience yes, or no," but only Palm knows the potential of their device right?
    I think there might be a few people on here that might be right
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Remember the iPhone 3G's first two weeks and the fiasco before they updated the firmware?

We're reliving that all over, haha.
    The cellular radio itself is probably the same as on any other number of devices. So, the hardware's probably fine.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by xandrake View Post
    Remember the iPhone 3G's first two weeks and the fiasco before they updated the firmware?

We're reliving that all over, haha.
    I don't, please elaborate...
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    I don't, please elaborate...
    It begins here...

NewsFactor Network | Apple's iPhone 3G Firmware Update Bombs
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandrake View Post
    thanks! im gonna read it now
    A software update or a PRL update will do the trick. This to me is not going to be a hardware issue. I mean it could but I don't think Palm and Sprint would ship a make or break phone with faulty hardware. This thing was tested over and over again. I remember a couple of phones I had before that after a software update the signal strengh didn't bounce as much. Rest assure you can always try to do a manual update of your PRL on your phone. Bring up the phone app hit preferences UPDATE PRL. see if that helps you.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Update PRL didn't work for me. I have never received so many signal faded / dropped call messages like the PRE. I really like the PRE and I'm hoping they can fix this issue via a firmware update.

FYI, today I made several phone calls and most of the time it took at least 10-15 seconds before it would try initiate a call. Most of those calls ended with a message on the PRE stating signal faded. I noticed that the signal strength was 2-4 bars, then when it initiated the call it would go to no bars. Palm needs to address this soon before they get 50,000 returned phones.

GP
    There are three separate issues with the reception. These are related, but fixed differently

1. Reception indicator ("bars") This is a somewhat arbitrary visualization of single dB level and signal-to-noise ratio (s/n). Most cell phone manufacturers will make the scale lie a bit to make the reception seem better. The raw numbers will remain the same, so it is really just an issue of user satisfaction. This is the same reason the first battery bar seems to last longer than the last one.

2. Actual reception quality. This is much harder to solve with software but can sometimes be improved through signal processing.

3. Intermittent link management. This is related to number two. If a phone loses the signal for a moment, it will "wait" for a small period. This can be observed as the classic "cutting out" in poor reception areas. The ability for a phone to continue after a signal loss as well as its willingness to wait is also controlled by software, and may be improved without a hardware change.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,
    James
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    Update PRL didn't work for me. I have never received so many signal faded / dropped call messages like the PRE. I really like the PRE and I'm hoping they can fix this issue via a firmware update.

FYI, today I made several phone calls and most of the time it took at least 10-15 seconds before it would try initiate a call. Most of those calls ended with a message on the PRE stating signal faded. I noticed that the signal strength was 2-4 bars, then when it initiated the call it would go to no bars. Palm needs to address this soon before they get 50,000 returned phones.

GP
    While Palm should fix it in an OS update, you can always call Sprint and complain. They will probably send you an Airave.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Sent me one, an AIRAVE that is. Should be here Tuesday. Just go to retentions directly and tell them your going to return your Pre and cancel the service. That was all I said and she gave me one no more questions asked.
    Last edited by RLovelett; 06/11/2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Saying what was sent...