Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday and today the settings on my phone were exactly the same, however I move between three different sites at my job. Yesterday I was at Site A and today I'm at Site B.

    At Site A I get great service, consistently have 3-5 bars. At Site B I get poor service, 0-1 Bars, and constantly moving between Sprint and Roaming.

    Yesterday, at Site A with great service I left work @ 3:30 (8 hours) with 40% battery remaining.
    Today, at Site B, it's 1:49pm and I'm at 18%.

    I can only conclude then that the necessity to switch from roaming to sprint and back to roaming drains the battery. Can anyone else confirm this?
  2. sevink's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Yesterday and today the settings on my phone were exactly the same, however I move between three different sites at my job. Yesterday I was at Site A and today I'm at Site B.

    At Site A I get great service, consistently have 3-5 bars. At Site B I get poor service, 0-1 Bars, and constantly moving between Sprint and Roaming.

    Yesterday, at Site A with great service I left work @ 3:30 (8 hours) with 40% battery remaining.
    Today, at Site B, it's 1:49pm and I'm at 18%.

    I can only conclude then that the necessity to switch from roaming to sprint and back to roaming drains the battery. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Sounds like a pretty good test to me, and unfortunately it does make sense.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Yesterday and today the settings on my phone were exactly the same, however I move between three different sites at my job. Yesterday I was at Site A and today I'm at Site B.

    At Site A I get great service, consistently have 3-5 bars. At Site B I get poor service, 0-1 Bars, and constantly moving between Sprint and Roaming.

    Yesterday, at Site A with great service I left work @ 3:30 (8 hours) with 40% battery remaining.
    Today, at Site B, it's 1:49pm and I'm at 18%.

    I can only conclude then that the necessity to switch from roaming to sprint and back to roaming drains the battery. Can anyone else confirm this?
    I've covered this in many other threads. Yes, this is an issue with many CDMA devices. If you live or work in a marginal Sprint signal area (which is a LOT of places), it will just kill the battery hopping back and forth. It's not just between Sprint and roaming to VZ, it's hopping between EVDO and 1X RTT.

    If you spend a lot of time in such an area dn can't get an airrave or other box to help fix the problem, you really should look at another carrier. The battery life will suck for you.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sevink View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good test to me, and unfortunately it does make sense.
    I'm going to set the phone to use sprint network only for the rest of the day and see if I can squeeze another hour and 30 minutes out of it.
  5. #5  
    This goes for any phone. The lower the signal, the harder the phone has to work to connect.
  6. imex99's Avatar
    Posts
    634 Posts
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    #6  
    I'm in the same boat, same scenario with different locations. I switch from sprint/evdo and roaming/1x and my battery went from 100% to 60% in less than an hour in the worse of my locations. My instinct battery wasn't even that bad....lets hope signal stability can be fixed in an update and its not hardware.
  7. pomokey's Avatar
    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #7  
    if the phone had a 'roam only' option that would also help, as you would simply stay on verizons network, which has much better coverage.

    unfortunately, there's only the 'sprint only' option
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, same scenario with different locations. I switch from sprint/evdo and roaming/1x and my battery went from 100% to 60% in less than an hour in the worse of my locations. My instinct battery wasn't even that bad....lets hope signal stability can be fixed in an update and its not hardware.
    +1

    I wish they'd give us some kind of timeframe for this. I guess it's hard to know, but seriously, they'd know if they could make the Pre's radio work as well as the 700wx or other phones right?
  9. #9  
    The Pre uses a different CDMA chipset I believe, so tuning this is a bit of an art. The Palm folks know it's an issue, but I think they didn't realize how big of an issue it was because of the inadequacies of the Sprint network (They sell Treo's to AT&T and VZ too).
  10. #10  
    The battery issue is a deal breaker. I get less than three hours of battery life in my office and in my truck. If I put the phone into Airplane mode, the batter life is great. BUT YOU CAN'T RECEIVE ANY CALLS OR EMAILS when it is in Airplane mode. The phone is essentially turned off - which is why they tried to come up with a clever name for shutting down everything but the local applications.

    I love the phone - it is simply not functional as a phone in an average situation. Palm needs to fix this IMMEDIATELY!!!
  11. #11  
    The good news is...

    While depleting the battery, the phone gets so hot that it will make a great hand warmer this winter. It will just have to be plugged in every hour to recharge.

    For those who have not yet received their car chargers, the Airplane mode will keep the battery alive. You just can't use the phone, internet, email, etc...
  12. #12  
    will airrave fix this issue? i turned off my wifi at home and tried relying on just the signal, and it quickly got hot and battery went down 5% in like 10 minutes.
  13. rj5620's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #13  
    The signal is the worst at my house and at my office and I had read about the Airwave thing. But do I want to go this route with a phone that just does not have good reception in my area? What about traveling for a vacation or work. I guess I will just put up with my 2 yr old iPhone install 3.0 on Wednesday and look at a Pre on Verizon in January. The Pre is a great product, great camera and flash, love Webos, the search function and above all the look and feel of the thing.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    I'm going to set the phone to use sprint network only for the rest of the day and see if I can squeeze another hour and 30 minutes out of it.
    did that help?
  15. #15  
    This is just reality of any phone. When its signal is low, it puts out more power. Searching for a signal draws even more power.

    And rofl, airplane mode is not a "clever name" to trick you. Get some sense. It allows you to turn off your radio when required to by the FAA, so that you can still use other functions of the phone.
  16. wmurch3's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    #16  
    yeah the term "airplane mode" has been around forever.

    Do yourselves a favor and get a car charger and a couple extra microUSB cables to charge either at the office or at home. If you're just sitting at your desk hook that baby up.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    I'm going to set the phone to use sprint network only for the rest of the day and see if I can squeeze another hour and 30 minutes out of it.
    Actually that probably won't help. Try typing ##3836# in the phone and selecting "1xRTT only." You won't bounce between 1x and EVDO anymore and if the 1x reception is bad enough you might just roam onto Verizon and get a better signal. (Doing this does mean your phone will not do super-fast EVDO data, but I'm assuming at work you're primarily concerned with voice and SMS. Unfortunately, you can't just select "EVDO only" from the options because voice and SMS require 1xRTT.)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    will airrave fix this issue? i turned off my wifi at home and tried relying on just the signal, and it quickly got hot and battery went down 5% in like 10 minutes.
    Airave does not help EVDO data. It only does voice, SMS, and 1xRTT data. So if you can't get an EVDO signal where you are you will need to use WiFi or set your phone to "1xRTT only" (see above) and use 1xRTT data over the Airave.
  19. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by btylerfcc View Post
    The good news is...

    While depleting the battery, the phone gets so hot that it will make a great hand warmer this winter. It will just have to be plugged in every hour to recharge.

    For those who have not yet received their car chargers, the Airplane mode will keep the battery alive. You just can't use the phone, internet, email, etc...
    Maybe you should return your phone for one that works properly. Lots of folks, me included, have 40% or more left after 12 hours off the charger with regular usage. While there do seem to be issues with poor battery life, it loks to be more a quality control issue than a hardware design or software issue.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rj5620 View Post
    The signal is the worst at my house and at my office and I had read about the Airwave thing. But do I want to go this route with a phone that just does not have good reception in my area? What about traveling for a vacation or work. I guess I will just put up with my 2 yr old iPhone install 3.0 on Wednesday and look at a Pre on Verizon in January. The Pre is a great product, great camera and flash, love Webos, the search function and above all the look and feel of the thing.
    You and me are in the same boat. I'll be giving them another week or so to fix this thing. Otherwise I'm back to my JB Iphone on Tmo for now. I'll wait for the GSM version. Oh well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions