Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, a few days ago someone (a-hem! gekko) argued that the Pre is crap and that the it isn't really multiprocessing. Other than music playback, I've been finding little things here and there that do in fact prove otherwise.

Facebook:

I was in facebook, the real one not the mobil app link that was already in the palm when we got it. I brought up a chat with a friend of mine and started chatting away. Then I wanted to do something else so I opened another app and was out of the facebook web page for maybe 10 minutes. When I went back to the facebook webpage my chat was still open, and my friend was still sending me bits of some story and the chat had been updating all the while that I was away.

Text Messaging:

I was just text messaging a friend of mine. When I was done, I suppose out of habbit, I swiped up without thinking. And noticed that the cursor in the messaging card still flashes even though the app is minimized. EVEN if I go into another app then come back to card view. The cursor is still flashing.
    You can open Spaz and scroll the tweets. Once the screen starts scrolling along minimize it. You can see it in the small view still moving. It also updates while I am in other applications.

I had a web page open while having the Email program running, Spaz open and Google maps. I went back and forth and my location changed in Google Maps, I received new Emails and tweets and started to load a new web page and swiped from app to app. The web page loaded in the background.

It multitasks just fine thanks!!!

End of this discussion!
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  3.    #3  
    Nice!!! I love it.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Heck, I was just playing with it in the store, downloaded a free tune from amazon mp3, and while the progress bar was going, switched cards to a web browser.

In cardview, you could still see the amazon progress bar moving along.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me if they think it was sprint's decision *maybe to save bandwidth to stop the sprint radio from playing if I switch to another program. That was a bit of a bummer. I take it that it's because the radio stations are playing through the TV app and sprint doesn't want TV in the background.
    still a bummer though.
    I had sprint nav going, a text message with one person, a google chat with another while going on the web (wife was driving) and it was the EASIEST thing to just go back and forth with the cards and seeing the little notifications coming in at the bottom of the screen.

Beautiful....just beautiful.
    When you have multiple chats going - do they open in separate, individual cards or all in the same card?
    Quote Originally Posted by born2defy View Post
    When you have multiple chats going - do they open in separate, individual cards or all in the same card?
    I can only open one messaging card
    I was riding the bus home from work today and listening to Pandora and browsing the web while flipping back and forth to messaging while my girlfriend was google chatting with me about what to order for dinner. Very nice.
    Doesn't do true multi-tasking my *ss
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Confusion over multi-tasking is easily remedied by a little understanding.

Click here to read an explanation of multi-tasking on the Pre.

(That was my response to the infamous post ronlongo is referring to.)
    with my Centro, i can send/receive emails, receive texts, surf the web, and listen to LIVE STREAMING WMA radio all at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    For those who are confused about what "multi-tasking" is and how it works, you might want to read my somewhat detailed response to that infamous post ronlongo refers to. (Click here to read.)

Confusion over multi-tasking is easily remedied by a little understanding.
    i should have been clearer in my post before all the fanboys got their panties in a bunch. the END USER EXPERIENCE of the Pre's so called "multitasking" is not impressive. open-LAG-close-LAG-open-LAG-close. the Pre's "multitasking" offers no productivity or efficiency gains to the user experience in its current limitation and it's a JOKE to say otherwise. in fact, the limitations of the OS are deplorable. my little Centro runs circles around the Pre. Palm should be ashamed of themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    with my Centro, i can send/receive emails, receive texts, surf the web, and listen to LIVE STREAMING WMA radio all at the same time.
    Not you again! I don't recall anybody in this Pre forum commenting on the capabilities of the Centro.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    You can emulate multi-tasking in applications for which all you have to do is save an unchanging state; actually having two applications perform work at the same time is a different matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    You can emulate multi-tasking in applications for which all you have to do is save an unchanging state; actually having two applications perform work at the same time is a different matter.
    thank you mr wizard. now please put away your chalkboard because the only thing i and most real world users care about is the USER EXPERIENCE not the technology beneath it. comprende?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Not you again! I don't recall anybody in this Pre forum commenting on the capabilities of the Centro.
    do you have anything of value to contribute to this discussion? anything of value at all?
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    do you have anything of value to contribute to this discussion? anything of value at all?
    I do! you had your phone for only two days. That is cool you didn't like it, but here we are days later and you are stile bi$%^ing.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    the END USER EXPERIENCE of the Pre's so called "multitasking" is not impressive. open-LAG-close-LAG-open-LAG-close. the Pre's "multitasking" offers no productivity or efficiency gains to the user experience in its current limitation and it's a JOKE to say otherwise.
    I agree that initial application load time is pretty miserable.

Don't miss the point that Palm OS only has a limited ability to emulate multi-tasking. Third parties can't hook into that; the Palm shines especially at being able to offer this benefit to arbitrary applications. On the Centro, you've seen all the multi-tasking you'll ever see. On the Pre, we've only just seen the beginning, with no limit on possibilities in sight.
    open-LAG-close-LAG-open-LAG-close.
    This sounds more like you were closing and reopening cards. Don't know about anyone else but when I switch from card to card there is -0- lagg?

And Gekko - we get that you don't like the Pre, move on already. How is anything you're saying even remotely constructive - it's not, it's all flame all the time. Seriously, you've changed from a contributing member to a troll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast