Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Third Pre and this one had the slider wobble when closed.. 2-3* Bothering me more and more, but very afraid to try a return as I am sure to get a 4th phone will be difficult and possibly have even more issues.
    I'm on my 2nd pre, and there's not gap, but definitely a wobble where when it is closed the top half can rotate to the right quite a bit. my wife's pre doesn't have this problem.

ugh..
    I'm on my 2nd pre, and there's not gap, but definitely a wobble where when it is closed the top half can rotate to the right quite a bit. my wife's pre doesn't have this problem.

ugh..
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I have yet to own a slider without any play at all. Still, thankfully, my Pre's is barely noticeable. Nothing I notice unless I am intentionally wiggling it to test the slider.
    I think I know why it wobbles. This is in conjunction with the gap on the left side of the phone.

Mine has this and it's annoying IMO. If you look at the side of the upper left corner of the phone, you'll see a little "lip" inside. The gap is so much.. that the screen part just misses it. If you were to push it down, to close that gap, the screen doesn't move half as much, because that little lip "locks" it in from sliding/wobbling left/right.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    To be fair, my experience is that a "wobble" is a movement that happens freely and without any coercion. If you can move it very slightly by grabbing the top and bottom and pushing the opposite directions then I wouldn't call that a wobble.

Just want to get it straight because I think people are talking about different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    To be fair, my experience is that a "wobble" is a movement that happens freely and without any coercion. If you can move it very slightly by grabbing the top and bottom and pushing the opposite directions then I wouldn't call that a wobble.

Just want to get it straight because I think people are talking about different things.
    By your definition, mine does not wobble.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    By your definition, mine does not wobble.
    Neither does mine. I'd be curious how many others feel the same. Perhaps we should make another thread
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    mine does the same and click when you push on the corner. Sprint said they would replace it when one came in.
    Mine has a little play in it when closed, which doesn't bother me much. What does bother me is that there is also a slight play when the slider is open. I like to have it open when I talk on the phone, and while I'm holding it I'm constantly feeling it give back and forth on the sides of the device, and it's starting to get on my nerves. I don't think this is normal, as most people I've read about say it's fairly solid when open, but in all honesty it's only very slight. If it doesn't get any worse I can probably get used to it, but otherwise I might have to do another return.
    happens here too - design flaw that will probably be corrected if they get enough of them back. Like most others, I am afraid to return an otherwise solid unit. 90% of the time when I hold it closed I just grip it so my index finger on my left hand holds at the corner, which eliminates the play.
    John Y - Aka Levelbest

Check out JOHNfm streaming on your Pre @ http://johnfm.com/pre
    Levelbest's Pre Wallpapers
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    My screen wobbles after 5 drinks.

But so does everything else.
    When I first started reading these stories I got pretty paranoid and thought that I too had this problem as my phone does a exhibit a tiny amount of play. Then, I saw , and I felt a whole lot better. If your is as bad as in this video, I'd strongly consider getting it exchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    When I first started reading these stories I got pretty paranoid and thought that I too had this problem as my phone does a exhibit a tiny amount of play. Then, I saw , and I felt a whole lot better. If your is as bad as in this video, I'd strongly consider getting it exchanged.
    Wow, that is one gigantic gap and very noticeable wobble. I can force the wobble on mine, but no matter how I shake it, it would never wobble on its own. Guess I have nothing to worry about then.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    Actually, that doesn't make me feel very good at all. Tells me the manufacturer has some serious quality control issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, that doesn't make me feel very good at all. Tells me the manufacturer has some serious quality control issues.
    It makes me feel better knowing that I actually got a Pre free from this particular defect. If you have not yet purchased your Pre then yes, it is troublesome. I agree, Palm quality control has not done a good job up to this point. It seems, as others here have noted, that with their "first half of 2009" announcement it really put Palm between a rock and a hard place. So again yes, that video makes me feel better that I have a Pre free from defects - so far. To be continued...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpdtopcop View Post
    mine is so bad that when closes you can twist the top half of the phone to the right 2 degrees.
    Same issue here - I'm on my second Pre - the first one had the issue with turning off when you closed it, battery only lasting about 3 hours of standby, and 'light' spots on the screen... My replacement has a LOT of rotating 'wobbly' play and the left side looks like someone tried to pull it apart...

Maybe 3rd times the charm? I've heard a few people talking about taking theirs back and getting a different phone - Are they crazy? After using webOS for a week, I can't imagine using a different phone... I'll take the hardware back every week if I have to...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i agree that some play is required for a slider to easily slide, but i don't know anyone else with a pre to reference so i don't know if mine is bad or not. if it stays the way it is i'll be fine because i have to intentionally make it wiggle. otherwise the phone operates perfectly. and in any case, palm gives you a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and i figure if the phones going to break because of it it will do it sooner than that.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Don't worry.
    I have it.
    Many others in this forum have it.

There's probably a big gap between the screen and the back, right?
    If you have dead pixels and other hardware defects, then I would send it back.

If the wobbly'ness isn't too bad and is all you have, keep it.
    Atleast... I am.
    It might be tougher to get a perfect Pre.
    Exchange Exchange Exchange

I was one of those idiots who listened to everyone here in the forum... who somehow convinced me that wobble and creaking noises were somehow my fault cause I didn't research the Pre enough. What a joke.

I exchanged mine today... past 30 days... got a new Pre... not a reconditioned one... didn't cost me a cent...

New Pre has NO wobble... None... solid build... and the slider is MUCH better too... very smooth. My old Pre used to creak while typing. Don't settle for garbage. There's a bad batch out there for sure... exchange it and don't stop exchanging it until you get one you're satisfied with.
    Last edited by ejohnnyk; 08/04/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Exchange Exchange Exchange

I was one of those idiots who listened to everyone here in the forum... who somehow convinced me that wobble and creaking noises were somehow my fault cause I didn't research the Pre enough. What a joke.
    I was one of those too, and exchanged my Oreo last night (within 30 days.. on about day 26) for a perfect Pre!
    I went in (having rehearsed practically the whole thing in the car on the way there), explained that it was wobbly, twisty, felt cheap, had a gap that squeaked when I pushed the phone to my ear........ and for a backup reason in case that wasn't enough for them, I told them about how the battery lost 6-7%/hr with nothing turned on (airplane mode, no wi-fi, no email, etc.).

Well, they didn't bat an eye.. the guy called his manager, got me a new boxed Pre, and it was perfect. No wobble, no gap, and very smooth slide! Hopefully it stays that way. I am glad I exchanged, cuz I spent way too much energy in that first 25 days, going back and forth between convincing myself that the wobble was ok, and thinking that I really needed to exchange it.

I was under the impression that my 30 day counter would reset, but the guy told me otherwise.. I only have 4 days to make sure this one's the right one. Does that sound right?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast